Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is this hose that has Antifreeze leaking out of it?

Last week I started our 84 SVO for the first time in a month & drove it to the post office.
    When I got back I noticed that antifreeze was leaking under the car behind the right front wheel.
    I didn't have time to check it out then, but today I again drove it to the P.O. and again when I got home it was leaking.
    I finally found the source, but have no idea what this short hose coming out of the firewall is for.

It is down about half-way on the right side of the firewall.
    I started the car & let it idle to full warm this evening, then turned on the heater & defroster....no antifreeze smell, & no fog on the windshield.
    I thought that it might be a leaking heater core. All of the heater and radiator hoses are tight & dry.

Any helpful advise will be much appreciated.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

That appears to be the drain line from the HVAC box. Unfortunately if there is coolant leaking out of the hose that means the heater core has a leak and that is where the coolant is coming from. Sorry Buddy!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Awesome Ron, looks like the dash has to come out. Hey, I need to take my dash out on the 85...we could do it together and have a dash removal party?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That appears to be the drain line from the HVAC box. Unfortunately if there is coolant leaking out of the hose that means the heater core has a leak and that is where the coolant is coming from. Sorry Buddy!
    Trey
    I certainly would never question what you are saying Trey, but I thought if the core was leaking I would smell it in the car, & that the windshield would fog up when the heater/defroster is on?

Other than that, you have told me exactly what I feared, since I couldn't imagine where else that antifreeze could come from at that point.
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 10-17-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Awesome Ron, looks like the dash has to come out. Hey, I need to take my dash out on the 85...we could do it together and have a dash removal party?
    Mike, that is an awfully nice offer, but I have never much been into dash removal parties, or anything else that has to do with dash removal.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I certainly would never question what you are saying Trey, but I thought if the core was leaking I would smell it in the car, & that the windshield would fog up when the heater/defroster is on?

Other than that, you have told me exactly what I feared, since I couldn't imagine where else that antifreeze could come from at that point.
    Ron
    I would agree that its rare that you don't smell the antifreeze in the car. Although I have seen a few leaking cores that you didn't see the fog or haze until the engine was at full operating temp or above. Just sitting in the driveway running, the core would leak out of the drain tube, but no fog or haze inside.

Before you pull the dash to make the swap, you could pull both hoses off the heater core and test it with some pressurized air or even try to pull a vacuum on it if you want to verify. Unfortunately I would bet that the results will still show a leaking core.

Best of luck with the repairs.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

You don't know how to have fun. Sorry about your svo.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    You don't know how to have fun. Sorry about your svo.
    Dang, you have a funny idea about what fun is........LOL

We are going to Mixteca tomorrow evening.
    Why don't you stop by, since you know that part of town so well these days!
    Ron

I would agree that its rare that you don't smell the antifreeze in the car. Although I have seen a few leaking cores that you didn't see the fog or haze until the engine was at full operating temp or above. Just sitting in the driveway running, the core would leak out of the drain tube, but no fog or haze inside.

Before you pull the dash to make the swap, you could pull both hoses off the heater core and test it with some pressurized air or even try to pull a vacuum on it if you want to verify. Unfortunately I would bet that the results will still show a leaking core.

Best of luck with the repairs.

Trey
    After going back under the car for another look, I can't imagine how antifreeze could get to that hose if it weren't a leaky core.

Thanks for your help Trey....even if it wasn't what I hoped to hear.
    Ron

do you run your car in winter ? or do you need heat ? if not just by pass it, one less thing to worried about again.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Pressure test ur cooling system, that'll give u the answer ur looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    do you run your car in winter ? or do you need heat ? if not just by pass it, one less thing to worried about again.
    I have been thinking of doing that very thing. On a turbo car can I just get a short length of pipe to put between the inlet & outlet hoses & clamp them together?

Quote Originally Posted by 1fst86 View Post
    Pressure test ur cooling system, that'll give u the answer ur looking for.
    You are right, & thanks for that idea. I may buy one of those pressure test kits from Harbor Frieght today.
    Ron

You are right, & thanks for that idea. I may buy one of those pressure test kits from Harbor Frieght today.
    Ron
    Hey! Didn't I suggest the same idea in Post #6 above!? Although I suggested just the heater core, so you could verify, it's still the same!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Wow, Trey, I feel really bad that I didn't give you credit for having the idea first. So here goes:

LOL
    Ron

Thanks Ron! I feel much better now!

So is it fixed yet?

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks Ron! I feel much better now!

So is it fixed yet?

Trey
    FUNNY!!

I am trying to figure out what diameter the hoses are so I can merely shut down flow to the heater core by connecting them to a pipe that will fit tight inside of them.
    Ron

5/8" should work just fine. If you just need to bypass the core for now, a section of 5/8" heater hose looped between the two heater pipes should do the trick. Although I have to confess I have never done the bypass on an SVO, only on 5.0 V8's. So the pipes going to the heater core, might be a different size, although I don't believe the SVO uses any different heater core than a non SVO Mustang, so it should work.

Good Luck! I guess down there in Phoenix you can get by without a heater, can't do it up here in CO this time of year!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Supporter

Ron, there was a post on SVOCOP recently that specified a Dayco B87618 as a good bypass hose. http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...er+bypass+hose

I didn't have that knowledge when I did mine on my '86 but I did confirm:

"Both of the metal lines connecting to the engine are 5/8" OD. I removed both of the factory hoses and looped a hose to bypass the core."

PS: I still haven't done my core

I think that this is something I need to look into as well... If I had bypassed the heater core, I would have been putting a few more miles on mine than I have been.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

That's how mine failed.....no smell or hazing window, just leaked out of that drain hose.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Ron, there was a post on SVOCOP recently that specified a Dayco B87618 as a good bypass hose. http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...er+bypass+hose

I didn't have that knowledge when I did mine on my '86 but I did confirm:

"Both of the metal lines connecting to the engine are 5/8" OD. I removed both of the factory hoses and looped a hose to bypass the core."

PS: I still haven't done my core
    Thanks for that helpful info. I will definitely look into that.
    I guess I also need a short length of pipe to connect together the two hoses that originally went to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    That's how mine failed.....no smell or hazing window, just leaked out of that drain hose.
    Here is the weird thing. We loaded a bottle of mixed antifreeze & a funnel into the SVO this morning & headed out on a 60 mile trip. The car never dripped a drop: cold, hot, idling, or parked. It did have a slight smell of antifreeze & a couple of puffs out of the center vent when we first started out, but we never smelled it again & no pufs after the first five miles.
    I am really stumped now.

Is it possible that the previous owner put some kind of stop-leak into the cooling system that is still sealing small leaks?
    It seems like I read somewhere, that we should never use that stuff especially in a turbo car??
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 10-24-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Could be expanding and contracting, hence opening and closing the leak?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

It could be left over fluid from a previous fix as for the pipe maybe a piece of pvc or copper may work for you kinda no different than a home water heater for the bypass portion of the fix .... tube and pipe do measure differently one measures I.d pipe and the other measures o.d tubing

You could always rotate your radiator cap one turn to keep it locked but in a VENT or PURGE pressure state not ideal but it will eliminate pressure on the possible leak area but this will have a adverse effect for you coolant Flow and your boiling point of your fluid theory

FEP Supporter

Thanks for that helpful info. I will definitely look into that.
    I guess I also need a short length of pipe to connect together the two hoses that originally went to the core.

Here is the weird thing. We loaded a bottle of mixed antifreeze & a funnel into the SVO this morning & headed out on a 60 mile trip. The car never dripped a drop: cold, hot, idling, or parked. It did have a slight smell of antifreeze & a couple of puffs out of the center vent when we first started out, but we never smelled it again & no pufs after the first five miles.
    I am really stumped now.

Is it possible that the previous owner put some kind of stop-leak into the cooling system that is still sealing small leaks?
    It seems like I read somewhere, that we should never use that stuff especially in a turbo car??
    Ron
    I removed the two factory hoses completely and connected to the engine hard lines directly. I did the bypass immediately after I noticed a small amount of liquid came out the driver's side floor vent. I haven't checked the firewall hose for liquid or blokage yet. I think I had similar symptoms to you though. Nothing to indicate a large consistent failure. I erred on the side of caution because I wanted to still drive it. It's been a year and other than a cool fall evening, I'm okay without heat for now until I have time to check it out or replace it.

Name:  IMG_3492.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  97.4 KB
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 10-25-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thank you, everyone who contributed ideas & tech help!

Update:
    Last 60 mile run into town a couple of days ago; the antifreeze leak was nearly constant, the windshield fogged up when I turned the defroster on, & we smelled antifreeze in the car for nearly the entire trip.

Today:
    The heater core is now isolated, and the intercooler has new neoprene hoses with new heavy duty metal clamps around them.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast