Close

Thread: 1985 Capri 5.0L

Default 1985 Capri 5.0L

Below is the Marti Report for my 1985 Capri - work in progress.....
    1MEBP79M6FF604658_dlxrpt (1).pdf

Here is the buck tag.....
    Name:  IMG_4197.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  92.1 KB

Here is the door tag......
    Name:  IMG_2957[1].jpg
Views: 145
Size:  70.9 KB

Hope all this helps....

Steve O.
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Foxchassis...why is the TuTone listed as "TT" on the buck tag and "XP" on the door tag? I saw the same thing on my 85 and I was just curious why they didn't use the same code for both?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Here are the door tag and buck tag codes for lower tu-tone paint:

door tag = [none - vinyl roof code was the second "paint" code for this year only]
    buck tag* = TT

door tag = 1C
    buck tag* = TT

door tag = 1C
    buck tag* = TT

door tag = 1C
    buck tag = TT

door tag = 1C
    buck tag = TT

door tag = 1C
    buck tag = TT

door tag = XP
    buck tag = TT

door tag = 71
    buck tag = TT

*Dearborn buck tags only
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

VIN
    1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    79 = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    6 = VIN check digit
    F = 1985 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    604658 = 4,658th 1985 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 11/84 = November 1984 scheduled build
    F0125 = 125 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0079 = 79 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 2R XP = Bright Red (2R), Dark Charcoal lower accent (XP)
    DSO - 22 = Dallas district sales office
    Body - 61D = Capri 3-door hatchback
    Int Trim - PY = cloth Functional Sport Seating (P), Sand Beige interior color (Y)
    A/C - 2 = Dark Charcoal
    R - 6 = electronic search AM/FM stereo cassette
    S - [blank] = no sunroof, no T-roof
    Ax - M = 2.73:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok (limited slip) differential
    Tr - 2 = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    1st BB = front springs
    2nd BB = rear springs

Buck Tag
    CAPRI = Capri model line
    604658 = 4,658th 1985 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    056_ = body & paint rotations #056_
    2RR = Bright Red exterior paint color
    TT = tu-tone paint (Dark Charcoal lower accent paint)
    DF
    ST
    AC = manual air conditioner
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    CRS = Capri 5.0l/RS model/trim level
    PW = power side windows
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    02 = type of hood/scoop
    EL
    Y = Sand Beige interior trim color
    X
    NLR
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

What is the fourth digit under the screw head of the buck tag? (056_?) How many miles on the odometer?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I will pull the screw on the buck tag and see what number is under it. Will confirm miles also, but last I recall it was around 100K. The car has been in storage for about 14 years but for some reason I am remembering that there was a problem with the odometer/speedometer at some point and the odometer is off..... just dont remember what made me think that.

I believe that I am the 3rd owner. I have a bunch of paperwork/repair receipts for the car that go back to when it was just about new. Previous owner sent it down to Kenny Brown and had all the chassis braces installed, upgraded suspension bushings, pan-hard bar, and adjustable Koni's, etc.... Looks like the original springs were left on it though.....
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

That Kenny Brown stuff is awesome to have, it makes your cars story much cooler and more desirable. It's no different from someone sending their car to Saleen for upgrades. The fact that you have receipts is also amazing...so many people make claims, but you have proof. I would say those mads add value to your car, especially because of the paperwork and the fact that it was done back in the day by a reputable Mustang Guru.

How do those mods make the car handle? I imagine the bushings need to be changed and the Koni's as well, but overall how's the handling?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike,

The car has been in hibernation for almost 14 years (marriage, kids, work, build work shop.........). I still remember when I bought the car, others had passed on it because it "rode like a cattle wagon", at least that was what the seller said. I remember it handling like a dream..... as I was into corning capabilities and not worried about a plush ride at all. There were a few curvy highway on/off-ramps in my commute to work and would look forward to them every morning (traffic was clear). I never messed around too much with adjusting the Koni's, but do remember taking a friend for a ride and being able to hang the back end out easily in a corner and carry it around - and be able to darn near steer with the back end at a 45 deg. Guess I didnt know I was "drifting" back in '96....... There was no flex/twist in the chassis and the rear end stayed planted in corners with the P-H bar.

I am now in the process of doing a full Maximum Motorsports suspension install, so the bushings and everything are being replaced. I am questioning what to do with the Koni's as they appear to still be functional, but I need to cut a part off the top (front struts) to fit the coil-overs on. I may just buy a new set..... I had an engine built by a reputable race-shop outside Grand Rapids MI and it dyno'd at 415 HP (flywheel) and had a pretty flat torque curve around 385-400 ft lbs.

Cant wait to get this car out in the spring....
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

LOVE these TT cars! I remember back in 85/86 seeing these TT cars. I have always thought they were so sharp! Can we see a picture? Thanks!!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Been a while since I checked this thread...... busy collecting suspension parts and pulling the front end apart.

Here is a pic, will try to get some more......
    Name:  IMG_2937[2].jpg
Views: 62
Size:  102.4 KB
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

That's one sweet Capri, I love the color combo...sand beige interior...very nice. She's gonna scream when you're done with her. More pics please.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I would like to post more pics of the build progress. Any reco on the best spot on the forum to do that? I can get a bit crazy on progress pictures but would like to be able to share the key/major progress pictures. Tried to post some in my profile area but the site doesnt like how big the files were - understandably. Working on getting them more 'net friendly.

This project has been waiting for way too long and am excited to get it on the road this spring (providing the wife doesn't close out the funding on me )
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Any reco on the best spot on the forum to do that?
    Online Car show/show & tell
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4