Close

Default Original 86 gt restored. Curious what she's worth?

This is my 86 gt just finished about a 80 percent restoration. Not selling it but after a lot of time and 15k Into it. ( some say it crazy but I did it for me not for the sale ) I can't help but wonder what car is worth.

101k on body
    about 2k since restoration
    All that was restored is below
    engine
    trans rear
    all suspension components
    all electrical to make sure EVERYTHING WORKS
    all body work done. Which wasn't much other than paint because it's a FL car
    you could eat off this car that's how clean it is and you can't get more original than this other then headers x pipe with flow masters

AGAIN ILL NEVER LET THIS BABY GO! But after all the time and money I'm curious what she's worth. I've been told do distantly about 8..:is that crazy or accurate. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  205.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  149.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  200.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  148.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  97.1 KB

Any any help would be much appreciated...

According to Hagerty it could go a high as 15K depending on the qaulity of the restoration...

Check this link
    http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...ort?vc=1345378
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

It's a beauty, but I wouldn't worry about value if it isn't for sale, I'd concentrate on some of the small details to make it as good as possible, things like the cowl/hood seal, underhood stickers, insulation, etc. I'm not a purist but the blue wires and blue battery cable have got to go.
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 10-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

FEP Senior Member

I would think in the $7500-$8000 range.The interior needs some attention like the interior plastics could use a respray and other little things.The black exterior trim may bother some since it's not the correct color.I would certainly enjoy this beauty by driving the piss out of it.

You will always come out miles ahead by buying a completed car,but there's no fun in that.
    OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

I'm with OMR, somewhere in the $7500-8500 dollar range seems like a reasonable estimate . That haggerty thing is great for a ballpark, or if you're looking to insure, but it's a little off when it comes to the actual sale price of our cars. If I was you (op) I would detail the engine bay and do the interior touch ups that OMR mentioned and I bet you would jump to the $10K dollar range. I realize the engine bay may be original, but it doesn't match the exterior anymore and I think it hurts the value a little. I would also have the trim painted to the correct charcoal color, because I think it looks better and it goes with how original everything else is (unless it is charcoal and I just can't tell from the pics).

Either way it's an awesome car and definitely something to be proud of.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

That is a gorgeous car.

Blog Entries

Original will always beat out restored for value. Restored is not the same as original. It's only factory fresh once. People will pay premiums for that, relative to restorations. As others have said, it's the details of this car that would prevent it from being a five figure Fox. It may be the pics, but the engine compartment color doesn't seem to have been done at the same time as the body. There's a lot of surface rust and oxidation on underhood components. There are plastics in the interior need replacing or a nice work over. These are the things that top-dollar buyers examine very closely.

It's a beautiful car, certainly, and I think the around $8k value would be fair.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Yep, agree with the others, in current condition around 8k for general broad market, maybe a little more for someone looking for specific options this car has, I.e. trim/color, etc. very nice car. 5 figure foxes have to be near perfect in details, limited production, or very sought after.

Get with your insurance agent and work out an agreed value for coverage. If it is still insured for what it was before resto, you won't get much..... I don't think. Usually, when spending money for restorations, depending on the vehicle, expect to get back only a fraction of what is spent.

Sweet looking 86
    Last edited by conmech; 01-05-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I would agree with many of the above that to get the most value out of your car, you need to finish the details. I'm not one to pick, as you can find flaws in any car, but I would pay more attention to detailing the engine bay and car interior. The carpet looks old and the interior trim panels could use some refinishing. The engine bay needs cleaning of the strut towers, remove signs of oxidation, correct hood insulation, and as stated above, correct engine stickers. You've got a nice car and one that anyone on the forum would be proud to own, but to take it to the next level, it's all about the details. I'm also at 7-8K. I just saw a great looking 85 convertible for sale on eBay, which I thought was a steal at a buy it now price of $2900, not even hit a reserve and bids ended at $1659. So, it's all about the current market and how your car stacks up to what else is out there.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited