Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I was pressing back harder than usual in the seat getting my wallet out of my front pocket and I felt the seat snap. Afterwards the seat back did not sit straight.
    Took it to my local upholstery shop and was charged $180.00 to have the seatback material removed and the two metal strips welded together to support the back seat. They said this is a common problem for these seats and told me to try to not lean back into them very hard anymore.
    I'm curious if there is a better fix for these seats to brace up this weakness.
    I have seen some pretty bad gangster lean seats over the years. Personally I just replace the seat with one that doesn't have the lean and everything is good.

I am not a small guy at 6'1" and @ 250, but I personally have never had an issue with a good seat. Once the metal is fatigued and out of shape it's hard to ever get them really "right" again IMHO. Better to just replace the seat with something without the issues IMHO. Of course aftermarket seats such as Recaro, Corbeau, etc. are another option if you are so inclined.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I own a set from a '79 pace car and they are perfect. Comfortable over the long haul, great side support yet still easy to get in and out of. I also owned a worn set of the Ford sport seats and despite the foam being blown out of the drivers side they were still and excellent alternative to the Recaro's IMHO.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have seen some pretty bad gangster lean seats over the years. Personally I just replace the seat with one that doesn't have the lean and everything is good.

I am not a small guy at 6'1" and @ 250, but I personally have never had an issue with a good seat. Once the metal is fatigued and out of shape it's hard to ever get them really "right" again IMHO. Better to just replace the seat with something without the issues IMHO. Of course aftermarket seats such as Recaro, Corbeau, etc. are another option if you are so inclined.

Trey
    They did do a repair that worked. He described to me that two strips of metal in there collapse and separate apart. The solution was to weld the metal strips together. I was wondering if there was a way to weld an additional piece of metal strip to the structure for strength. This car has never been modified and is all original except the carburetor so going aftermarket is not an option. I'm trying to preserve it and keep it original. However I'm open to unseen improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    They did do a repair that worked. He described to me that two strips of metal in there collapse and separate apart. The solution was to weld the metal strips together. I was wondering if there was a way to weld an additional piece of metal strip to the structure for strength. This car has never been modified and is all original except the carburetor so going aftermarket is not an option. I'm trying to preserve it and keep it original. However I'm open to unseen improvements.
    I am sure there is a way to reinforce the seat in the area of concern. I personally have never made the attempt since I have always had spare seats to use for parts, so there was little benefit to me. I am sure you could weld additional strips onto the area or a larger plate that overlaps the area of concern and address the issue.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am sure there is a way to reinforce the seat in the area of concern. I personally have never made the attempt since I have always had spare seats to use for parts, so there was little benefit to me. I am sure you could weld additional strips onto the area or a larger plate that overlaps the area of concern and address the issue.

Good Luck!

Trey
    It's fixed for now. It does kind of eat away at me knowing the same thing could happen again. Maybe someone out there has done this and could give us feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Pics of your install with the Wedge mounts?
    Sorry - no. Car is under construction for the winter. But the Wedge mounts replace the factory floor pieces and use "tab" mounts for the seats. The "tab" mounts are built into the Recaro sliders The mounting tabs have three height positions. In fact, it appears one could put more or less "tilt" into the seat by using different mount positions front and rear. Since my seats came with Recaro sliders, the Wedge mounts fit perfectly.

Ping me if you are looking for Blue or Carmel (? Looks yellow to me) Cobra Recaro upholstery material! I know a guy that found some today so I suggested he pick it up. I’d imagine it’s really hard to come by these days!
    Name:  69B29B29-1370-4BA1-AA04-1666A8A26A5C.jpeg
Views: 224
Size:  60.0 KB
    Name:  8C6C766F-FAEE-4591-A444-F2B11E7828E7.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  40.6 KB
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 01-06-2022 at 01:15 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Oh my...
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Name:  59B0C81A-1481-4D71-AD5B-1D8150710A26.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  493.2 KB
    Just finished restoring my 81 Cobra interior.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

That looks great! Can you post pictures of the car?

These were redone by the previous owner. Name:  CA342913-B14B-4D44-BFAA-87944E8FFD48.jpeg
Views: 152
Size:  106.4 KB
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

FEP Supporter

Magnificent job Lubner!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Magnificent job Lubner!
    Thanks this was a tough one
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80