Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default recaro ????? and please post pics

So I decided I wanted to remove my low back seats and replace front and back with recaros form 1979 to 82 mustang. After a long search I found a set that were swapped into a 1980 capri rs. I know they are recaro seats and they will clean up well no rips tears or leans just stains .
    Now here is my ? I cant find any like them anywhere never realized how many fabrics were used the ones I got are black vynle on out side edges with grey inserts. So could everyone post pics of there 1979-1982 recaros to help me out

Here my old Caramel Recaro's:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Man mike those are gorgeous!!! Hopefully they went to a good home!!

They did...an original owner brown 80 Cobra with every option except the Recaro's. He had a caramel interior, but he didn't order the Recaro option (can't blame him it was like $800 bucks back in 81). They couldn't have gone to a better home.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Hey! Just a quick heads up on cleaning your old recaro seats. BE VERY CAREFUL SCRUBBING THE CENTRE PANEL CLOTH! The thread can be as delicate as paper towels. I really trashed mine trying to get a stain out. ........should have left the stain alone.

I had reupholstered Recaro's in my '81 & boy did I love them!!

'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    what shift boot and knob is that? im in love with it lol

Those are the closest I've seen so far any one tell me how to post pic?

Here are the Wedgewood Blue:

And the Vaquero:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Here are the Wedgewood Blue:

And the Vaquero:

wow always thought pacecar black where the only ones till last week

the vaquero is bad ass is the owner of this car on foureyed pride?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsranger View Post
    what shift boot and knob is that? im in love with it lol
    Thanks. It's a MOMO leather boot with a 'new Edge' Cobra, 5speed knob with the brushed aluminum top.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by stever86 View Post
    So I decided I wanted to remove my low back seats and replace front and back with recaros form 1979 to 82 mustang. After a long search I found a set that were swapped into a 1980 capri rs. I know they are recaro seats and they will clean up well no rips tears or leans just stains .
    Now here is my ? I cant find any like them anywhere never realized how many fabrics were used the ones I got are black vynle on out side edges with grey inserts. So could everyone post pics of there 1979-1982 recaros to help me out

those dirty seats are the same as mine has any one seen theses ones before and they are recaros with netted head rests and no that's not the int of my car

Recaro used that style of seat in a few cars, and they sold them to the public ( meaning you could buy them without having to buy a Mustang), so maybe that's where yours came from? I had a Pace Car and I found an 82GT (in a junk yard) with the same seats, so it is a little bit of a mystery.

Btw, not sure if the owner of that Vaquero Interior Cobra is on FEP. I got those pics when the car was for sale a few months back.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

A few more pics of the Vaquero...because they are just so cool:

Here is a pick from my old Pace Car. Is this the material you have on your Recaro's? My front seats were the same (and that 82GT I mentioned was the same as well).

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Keep these pics coming. I am really thinking about swapping my 85 interior out.

FEP Power Member

Here are stock seats from a pace car

FEP Power Member

Here's some from an 82 GT. The center part of the seat had extra sections compared to the 79's.

Some awesome seats here, one of these days I'll get mine redone..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Love the Recaros. For awhile, I was enamored with the FloFits. Actually found a pair locally in great shape with sliders and mounts, just not the netted halos. I picked up a set of netted halos about 8 years ago. But when I sat in those things they were very hard and uncomfortable. It wasn't that the padding was shot; just the contrary. Seat had hardly been used. Further research confirmed just about anyone who had them complained about their firmness.

So I went on a search for some Recaros. After more time than I wish to count, I found some LS-Cs without netted head rests. Picked-up the seats and bought netted head rests off e-bay. The LS-Cs have much more pronounced thigh and seat-back bolsters than the Pace Car version. And so much more comfortable than the FloFits. Just needed some floor mounts from Wedge Engineering and good to go. That UK link Trey mentioned does have a number of used and NOS parts, especially new bolsters and seat supports. But not everything. May need to go to e-bay international to find the right or nearly right pieces.

Saleen owners have been complaining about Flo-Fits since 1987. You're right, they are uncomfortable as h*ll. Too bad because they look really cool, but you really want a seat that will be comfortable and supportive if you plan on enjoying your car. Flo-Fit is basically a Recaro knock off anyway (imo), so it pays to just shell out the cash and buy the best. Besides nothing beats some vintage 70's and 80's Recaro's when it comes to comfort and crazy upholstery patterns.

I loved my caramel Recaro's, I just wished I had a car to put them in.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Pics of your install with the Wedge mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    Love the Recaros. For awhile, I was enamored with the FloFits. Actually found a pair locally in great shape with sliders and mounts, just not the netted halos. I picked up a set of netted halos about 8 years ago. But when I sat in those things they were very hard and uncomfortable. It wasn't that the padding was shot; just the contrary. Seat had hardly been used. Further research confirmed just about anyone who had them complained about their firmness.

So I went on a search for some Recaros. After more time than I wish to count, I found some LS-Cs without netted head rests. Picked-up the seats and bought netted head rests off e-bay. The LS-Cs have much more pronounced thigh and seat-back bolsters than the Pace Car version. And so much more comfortable than the FloFits. Just needed some floor mounts from Wedge Engineering and good to go. That UK link Trey mentioned does have a number of used and NOS parts, especially new bolsters and seat supports. But not everything. May need to go to e-bay international to find the right or nearly right pieces.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Pics of your install with the Wedge mounts?
    I don't have any current pictures to help show you, but the original OEM Recaros installed in the Mustang/Capri used a wedge adapter to mount the seats to seat tracks and give the seats an angled seating position too. I have installed a couple of sets of Recaros in my Foxes over the years and I have done the install both with and without the adapter wedges. I generally leave the wedges out because I have a long torso and sit very high in the seat compared to the average driver and the adapter wedges cause my head to be too high and touch the headliner. Removing the adapter allows my seat to drop @ 1-2" and gives me more head room. I do still have to use an adapter plate to adapt the Recaro bolt pattern to the stock seat sliders. I generally use a piece of 1/8"-3/16" flat stock that is @ 2 inches wide and the length of the seat base. Then I drill out the holes for the Recaro seat base. Then I drill out the holes to match up to the sliders. I attach the slider to adapter and then the pair to the seats. You will either have to weld some nuts/bolts on to the adapter to make it all work, but it works well for me. All of this can be done for probably $30-50 max if interested. The other benefit is that if you have long legs you can also adjust the length of the adapters and the placement of the seat relative to the sliders to help move the seat back for more leg room. I have mine adjusted so that the rear seat slides back to within 2 or 3" of the rear seat lower cushion.

I can try and grab some photos the next time I am home if possible if you are interested in seeing how I got it all to work.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

A couple of weeks ago I was pressing back harder than usual in the seat getting my wallet out of my front pocket and I felt the seat snap. Afterwards the seat back did not sit straight.
    Took it to my local upholstery shop and was charged $180.00 to have the seatback material removed and the two metal strips welded together to support the back seat. They said this is a common problem for these seats and told me to try to not lean back into them very hard anymore.
    I'm curious if there is a better fix for these seats to brace up this weakness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast