Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crimson Cat production numbers

Wondering if anyone has any clarification on Crimson Cat production numbers as well as model availability. Everywhere I look I see production estimates of around 805 Crimson Cats built. My Mardi report states mine is one of 1363 Crimson Cats built. Also, I have seen data stating the Crimson Cat package was available with all trims and engines. My Marti report also states that all 1363 came with trim code KA. I appreciate any info. Just want to keep my facts straight.

everything I've read says 800'ish CC's were made, can you put up a picture of the car and the Marti report?
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I am not aware of any production number being verified, other than by a Marti report. Marti Auto has access to Ford's production database, so the number you see on your report should be accurate.

All CCs had "27" paint and "KA" trim, and that trim was available only in the CC.

I would like to see the PDF of the Marti report.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I wonder who pulled the number 805 out of the clear blue sky?

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I wonder who pulled the number 805 out of the clear blue sky?
    From the production numbers on 4Eyed home page.

"Production numbers from the Illustrated Mercury Buyer's Guide, considered questionable in regards to accuracy."
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I read 805 first in the mid/late 90's IIRC in the back of a mm&ff magazine, I didn't have a clue about CC capri's until I read that piece, I was like I have one of those in the driveway!

I would toss that 800 number out the window and go with what Kevin Marti says. His word (and reports) are what everyone looks to for that type of info, so if he says 1300 than its 1300. Still a pretty small production number in the grand scheme of things, and when compared to other special edition cars.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Trying to upload the PDF of the Marti report but its not letting me. Will post as soon as I can figure out

evidently the people that claimed 805 didn't ask Kevin Marti, they had to get that number somewhere, FWIW I't doesn't matter to me if they built 1 or 10,000

since nothing is written in stone, there could be a capri or 2 made with 27 paint code and KA interior and not have "CAT" on the buck tag. I found one instance.
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 10-09-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Default Here's the best I can do

Name:  IMG_1706.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  128.9 KB

interesting about 1/3 sent to canada and out fo 3340 capri's painted code 27 all were V8 4 speeds except 130 and how many of those were non V8 or V8 auto's? mine is a V8 5 speed CC so it's probably 1 of a handfull with a V8 5 speed? fwiw I'm just a little bit skeptical of the report.
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 10-10-2014 at 03:27 PM.

just a thought, how about out of 1363 capri's with paint code 27 and KA interior, 415 CC's sent to canada, 805 CC's in the US, that leaves a possibility of 143 capri's with the 27 paint and KA interior that were not CC's

Those stats are out of ALL 1983 Capri production...
    415 total Capri to that Canada DSO, not just CC. Same for Eng/Tran and Paint codes.
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

Typically, with this type of car, between 5 to 10 percent would be Canada's allocation. Crimson Cats should have unique trim codes because of the unique seat material. This would support that there are the same number of cars built with the trim and color codes as there were Crimson Cats built. It would also lead one to believe that all Crimson Cats had the Sport seats which is also contrary to other information out there. The factory brochure doesn't even show a Crimson Cat option, only a Black Magic which was available with the non sport seat.

Yes, each stat is independent of the others, and is for Capri hatchback, not CC. Now you could conclude certain stats are for CC because they are CC codes only.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

When I was reading up on them some I found the 805 number in several sites. Mine has a build of 11/82 and sent to denver and ended up in neb. And it dont have the cat buck tag.
    I wonder to how the "cat" is counted with the black/white magic cars. You see more of cats heads on those than the red.
    Last edited by cb650; 10-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    When I was reading up on them some I found the 805 number in several sites. Mine has a build of 11/82 and sent to denver and ended up in neb. And it dont have the cat buck tag.
    I wonder to how the "cat" is counted with the black/white magic cars. You see more of cats heads on those than the red.
    Unfortunately, we've found many times over that a number gets made up, quoted in a mag, runs wild, gets reposted, and then is eventually found to be untrue. We've seen examples of this that started with a sales guy pulling something out of his southern orifice, someone quoting a previous owner's claims as gospel, those horribly awful 999 reports Ford was sending out for ages, and potential human random number generators. Misinformation somehow spreads and sticks more than the truth ever can.

The Cat head was not included on the Crimson Cat stripe package, only the Black ( and white) magic cars had it. Black interior with red inserts were unique to the Crimson Cat. There were lots of red cars not Crimson Cats but none had the red inserts.

Are you sure about the cat head? I really thought those were part of both the cc and bm packages?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsccat View Post
    The Cat head was not included on the Crimson Cat stripe package, only the Black ( and white) magic cars had it. Black interior with red inserts were unique to the Crimson Cat. There were lots of red cars not Crimson Cats but none had the red inserts.
    there is one 27 paint and KA interior capri without CAT stamped on the buck tag, the thread is on FEP, maybe it's almost a CC? depends on what makes a CC, must one have 27 paint KA interior,stripes,wheels and CAT on the buck tag or just have 27 paint, KA interior and no CAT on the buck tag.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Are you sure about the cat head? I really thought those were part of both the cc and bm packages?
    CC's are not supposed to have the cat head, I wouldn't be surprised if some did, nothing seems to be difinitive, never is not never and evidently always isn't always.

I'm reasonably certain. My Crimson Cat was bought by my dad new and never had the cat head on the fenders. This is consistent with photos of other CCs on the Internet. Ebay has a CC stripe kit and states it differs from the black magic kit because it omits the cat head. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301213238233?...84.m1423.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    since nothing is written in stone, there could be a capri or 2 made with 27 paint code and KA interior and not have "CAT" on the buck tag. I found one instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    there is one 27 paint and KA interior capri without CAT stamped on the buck tag, the thread is on FEP
    Do you know which thread this car was in?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 10-10-2014 at 11:58 AM.

To fast. I finally found mine and came to post a link. And it was here already.

I'll look at the database later and see if there are any more 27/KA without "CAT" on the buck tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast