Close

Default 84 GT regular gas OK?

It's been a while since I had a carb car. Is modern regular gas ok to use? Or am I better off going with a higher octane? I don't drive it every day, so I don't mind the cost of high test if it makes it run a little better.
    Last edited by vxr500; 10-07-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Never had any problems with 87 in my GT.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I use on my 85 before I switch to none ethanol

go here http://pure-gas.org/

and look up to see any gas station near you that carry none ethanol gas.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Sinister
    Thanks for the app idea, it helps. I found that my car runs like crap with the ethanol gas even if its super. I have a few mods to my motor. Our local Wawa just started selling ethanol free and the car loves it. I have had to put octane boost in mine periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by 85FLGTCONVT View Post
    Sinister
    Thanks for the app idea, it helps. I found that my car runs like crap with the ethanol gas even if its super. I have a few mods to my motor. Our local Wawa just started selling ethanol free and the car loves it. I have had to put octane boost in mine periodically.
    you welcome.

FEP Power Member

I'm bummed. Was hoping to find non-ethanol gas on that list in my area. Another way might be to purchase aviation fuel. Right now I'm running mid-grade with StarTron additive to combat the ethanol. Heard that they just add more ethanol to boost the octane. Read that a company called Archoil has an additive too.

I read some where, ethanol gas is OK for old car, as long the carb is having new style gasket/seal that compatible with ethanol gas today, but if the car is not daily or drive once in a while or alway in storage, then put none ethanol in it. But some old car is picky on what type of gas you put in , just to be sure, none ethanol on all carb car for me.

As for octane rating.. these cars are really low compression so low octane will run fine. The ethanol mix fuel is another thing though. The ethanol likes to absorb moisture and that creates problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamoGT View Post
    As for octane rating.. these cars are really low compression so low octane will run fine. The ethanol mix fuel is another thing though. The ethanol likes to absorb moisture and that creates problems.
    Is there an additive I can use that fights the effects of the ethanol?
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    Is there an additive I can use that fights the effects of the ethanol?
    yes, there is many product out there for ethanol fuel treatment, most caller snake oil, but stick to well know brand like stabil, is worth a try.

my all time favored is Marine STA-BIL Ethanol Fuel Treatment & Stabilizer , you can use this for storage, or ethanol treatment

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/mar...ent-stabilizer

I think walmart have best price.

i have been using lucas oils Safeguard ethanol fuel conditioner and stabilizer in my original carb 84 gt . i have since found 87oct et. free fuel at our local QT

Quote Originally Posted by 84.5crgt View Post
    i have been using lucas oils Safeguard ethanol fuel conditioner and stabilizer in my original carb 84 gt . i have since found 87oct et. free fuel at our local QT
    How often to you put the Lucas stuff in the tank, and how much? I saw a bottle at Walmart. 9 bucks a pop
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Usually every fill up. 1once per 5gallons

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk