Close

Default difference in shifter boots

whats the difference in the 84 and the 87 up shifter boot? will 87 up fit 84.

This is the lower part and not the shift boot, but this part shows it fits 79-04. That means the 4 bolt holes should line up. The boots are listed as different for those years, so the difference is probably how the boot fits with the console trim piece, or the height of the shifter.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ith-Metal-Ring

Somebody else will probably come along and confirm because I bet someone else has had this question before.

I believe JGrono answered the question pretty well. The lower shifter seal (rubber) is the essentially the same between the 79-04 cars. Or at least the aftermarket version will work for those years. The upper shifter boot that sits directly below the shifter handle varies depending on what your trim level was, type of console, and the year model. Essentially you can make the 79-86 shifter boots interchange if you like. The 87-93 shifter boot is different due to the change in the console. I am sure you could make the 87-93 boot fit the earlier cars, but if you are buying a new one, I would recommend saving the headaches and just getting one for the 79-86 cars.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I just ran into an issue where the 79-04 lower shifter boot did not fit my existing bolt pattern.
    It is a 2.3T car with a 4 speed std.
    I bought the 79-04 boot from LMR, and the two rear bolt holes are off by quite a bit and the metal ring is much larger.
    I was able to remove the ring and cut the rubber/foam down enough to make it work.
    Thanks to LMR for the $$$ refund.

Here is the comparison.
    Name:  shifter lower jpg.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  107.5 KB