Close

Default What I've been working on the last few months

About 6 months ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted some side work putting together a 1968 FJ40 for his mother. I've had a few of these and my last one I did a complete frame-off restoration. Sadly I sold mine last year. I started out working on it at his shop on weekends. But in June or so we loaded it on a ramp truck and brought it to my house.

This is what I started with.

But I had to put on/plumb a GM TBI injection system, make a BUNCH of brackets, change all the spring bushings, convert the vacuum shift 4WD to a floor linkage, make the exhaust, and basically put it all back together to make it roadworthy. Oh and I had no hardware. And all the wiring was just cut whenever they needed to remove something. It was a mess. But look at it now!

It still needs a few things but nothing really pressing that will keep the owner from putting some miles on it finally. Hopefully it will be leaving my shop tonight.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Blog Entries

<3 That is beautiful.

Great job, Ken. It looks like a factory installation.

I know what kind of effort you put into custom-fabbing the brackets. I only had to make two when I put power steering in my sister's car, and those took a lot of work and more than a little brain power. Lucky I had access to a CNC plasma cutter and a big hydraulic press.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

It looks great Ken! Sometimes when I see cars like in the first picture I wonder if they'll ever get back together. I'm glad you've finished it.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Awesome, will we see it next weekend?
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

I see a Willys trying to hide under that blanket...
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 86asccoupe20 View Post
    Awesome, will we see it next weekend?
    Probably not. I'm hoping it will be picked up on Saturday. I've got an 04 Dodge that I have to put bedside repair panels and a rocker panel on next for my wife's uncle. He did build my house, I suppose I can do some bodywork for him. That might be here next weekend. And yes that is a 40's Willys that was next to it in my friend's shop. That one is almost all back together now too. This landcruiser still needs a bunch of little things so I'm sure it will be back come spring but mechanically and safety-wise it's good to go. It's been sitting a LONG time so I'm sure everything will start leaking once it's got some miles on it.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Wow! KILLER WORK! You. Are. The. Man.

When I put this next to the FJ Cruiser I get the feeling that they got it wrong. Why couldn't Toyota have kept building and improving THIS vehicle like Jeep did with theirs. They even could have done the 4-door and the truck. Modern diesel power, modern, upgraded gas injection, more modern suspension, etc. I think that would have made a nice bit of money for them over the years.
    Last edited by Bruce Mohacsy; 10-02-2014 at 09:16 AM.

They kind of did continue evolving the FJ40 just not in the US. The 70 series was the next short wheelbase truck and they offered those with both leaf and coil spring suspensions, modern diesels, etc. Some are fixed hardtops, some are removable, a few factory soft tops... This truck I've been working on is kind of odd with the fuel injection on it. It's just strange hopping in an FJ40 and just turning the key without doing anything and just having it fire up and idle perfectly. Then immediately be able to drive it away. No more pulling the choke, waiting for it to warm up, then driving easy for the first mile or so to keep it from choking out. Just hit the key and go.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Those big old inline 6 engines sound pretty mean when they're loud, too.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Great work Ken!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Looks great Ken!!
    Wow, thanks! Oh, wait... HAHA

My L6-226 Willys sounded like a garbage truck without a muffler.
    Last edited by Ken P; 10-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Wow, thanks! Oh, wait... HAHA

My L6-226 Willys sounded like a garbage truck with a muffler.
    Too many Ken's here :P
    How you are doing well too bud!

Yep lot's of Ken's everywhere! 3 at my work alone...

Well the FJ40 just went home with it's owner. I'm sure it will be back for more stuff in the spring though. She was incredibly excited. Actually drove it home with no plates on it! But it's all back roads and only 5 miles or so away. And her son (my friend) is a cop on the local sheriff's department... She texted me a picture of her and her dog in it at her farm when she got home.

This one sounds pretty good. Header with 2-1/4" exhaust. I put a big muffler on it so it's quiet (owner is in her 60's) but it's still pretty throaty. Lots of intake noise from the GM throttle body setup though. Sounds good. Mine had a bored/balanced/cammed motor with a Weber/header/ and basically the same exhaust but with a 14" case length turbo muffler. It sounded pretty mean. I really miss it. If I ever do another one though I want to go V8. Probably won't go there again though. I never drove mine once gas got over 3 bucks a gallon. The Capri is bad enough. FJ40's only get like 12MPG.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

On to the next project over the last few weekends. My wife's uncle built our house for us. Her father and him used to be business partners until he passed away from complications related to diabetes. He wasn't able to help much in the aftermath but he's helped out all six of the kids in my wife's family in some way or another in a big way over the years. So when he asked for some help in patching up his Dodge I couldn't say no. He's 78 now, still working doing plumbing/heating and electrical work. But he's trying to retire. So he really wants his 04 ram to be his last work truck. Problem is like most of them it had some serious body rot.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

So on to cutting and welding and whatnot.

It's actually all painted now but I neglected to take pics after primer and paint. Came out OK. My first time shooting base/clear actually. But I did something incredibly stupid afterwards. I can only work on the truck on weekends because he needs it for work during the week. So yesterday when I painted it the temp was only about 55 degrees. After it had been sitting for about 4 hours I pulled all the tape off, all was good. I put the rear bumper back on, then figured I would wash it and get all the bondo dust off it where I had it covered with plastic. DUMB move. Although the clear was dry to the touch it certainly wasn't cured yet. As soon as the water hit it it streaked with cloudiness down the sides. Hopefully it will buff out. Otherwise I'll have to sand it down and reshoot it.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650