Close

Default 82 Mustang with T-Top (Minneapolis, MN)

I'm looking for a T-Top '82 Mustang. Doesn't need to be a show car, but at least in decent condition, little or no rust. Faded paint, etc, is ok. Interior doesn't need to be perfect, since I plan to update most of it anyway. Tears in the seats and what-not is ok, as long as the dash/wiring is all there and working.

Must haves:
    T-Top
    Carbed 302 (347 also a plus)
    Manual trans
    Power windows and locks

Bonus points:
    Black exterior
    Black interior, (87+ interior swap also a plus)
    SROD swapped to a T5 or Tremec
    Stroked to a 347
    5-lug conversion
    Good condition exterior/interior

I plan on spending 2500-3000, but can go up to 4000 for the right car. Let me know what you got and a price, and we can haggle from there. Any leads are also appreciated. Willing to travel, so locality isn't a necessity, although it helps. Not interested if it's not a T-Top.

Very Nice Expectations!!!! Good Luck Hunting!!!
    Chris

Had
    Too many that I wish I'd kept!

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    82 GT T-top (a new beginning) Rebuild Thread
    71 Torino GT

Quote Originally Posted by 82stangracer View Post
    Very Nice Expectations!!!! Good Luck Hunting!!!
    Thanks. I need it. I've Scoured CL from Minneapolis all the way over to Detroit and down to Kansas City and St Louis. Even check in Texas and around Vegas and New York occasionally just in case I find a good deal that's worth the trip.

The few I find are either grossly overpriced for their condition, junk, or sold by the time I find them.

I feel your pain...I was looking for a black on black t-top for a bit. I found mine recently in Iowa and paid the asking price to ensure he would work with me on the shipping to NY.

If you find one in the NYC/Long Island area let me know...happy to go look for you.

Ron

That is exactly what I'm looking for. They good ones are hard to find. Good luck.

FEP Supporter

Here is a Canadian car. Doesn't say 302 or show engine pictures, so with the badge on the scoop, could it be a Canadian GT Turbo?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

Quote Originally Posted by rbonif View Post
    I feel your pain...I was looking for a black on black t-top for a bit. I found mine recently in Iowa and paid the asking price to ensure he would work with me on the shipping to NY.

If you find one in the NYC/Long Island area let me know...happy to go look for you.
    Thats nice, thanks. How are shipping prices compared to just taking a bus and driving it back?

I have. I've actually been talking to him for a couple weeks now. He was originally asking $5500 for it, I came in at 3500. He's holding pretty firm now at 4500, says he's trying to break even. I almost got it for 3500 and my bike, but his wife said no more projects. Ideally this is the one I would get if I could get him down a little more. 4500 looks like a fair price, but its alot when I plan to eventually swap out alot of what he's already done to it anyway. I actually spoke to him again today and he's sending me more pictures tomorrow. I might see if he has another foxbody project going that he can just swap the front seats and rear upholstery into to save us both some money.

I don't necessarily need it in this good of condition, but this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Here is a Canadian car. Doesn't say 302 or show engine pictures, so with the badge on the scoop, could it be a Canadian GT Turbo?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true
    That's nice, but WAY out of my price range lol.
    Last edited by Ashlander; 10-01-2014 at 01:19 AM.

I paid around $750 from Iowa to NYC. Between gas, tolls and travel I think it was about the same to have it shipped rather than drive it back.

Now just to give you some comparisons I paid $4,850 for mine. It had 79,000 miles and the following mods:
    - rebuilt engine (including .03 bore) 5k miles ago
    -T5 WC Transmission
    -true dual exhaust with flowmasters - was a dual dump setup with cats and smog removed. I added the tailpipes to keep the gf happy
    - holly 600 cfm
    -edle intake
    -comp cam
    -eibach lowering springs
    -rear air suspension
    -MSD coil blaster

Mine is a non AC, non PW and non power door locks...pretty bare bones. It came with the trx wheels and nice cloth seats. In my pictures I added the wheels and seats so you can't use them in the price comparison. It runs super strong (prolly a tad over 300hp) and the engine compartment, interior and under-carriage are really clean. It has the original paint but it does need to be repainted badly...no rust ( a few specs but very minor).

I think you are in the ball park at $4k for what you want but the 82's can have a tricky price range. I probably would have gotten mine a tad cheaper but I wanted to make nice with the buyer to ensure he would hold and deal with the hassle of a site unseen purchase. All in all I was happy to pay a few extra bucks to get what I was looking for.

Ron

I paid around $750 from Iowa to NYC. Between gas, tolls and travel I think it was about the same to have it shipped rather than drive it back.

Now just to give you some comparisons I paid $4,850 for mine. It had 79,000 miles and the following mods:
    - rebuilt engine (including .03 bore) 5k miles ago
    -T5 WC Transmission
    -true dual exhaust with flowmasters - was a dual dump setup with cats and smog removed. I added the tailpipes to keep the gf happy
    - holly 600 cfm
    -edle intake
    -comp cam
    -eibach lowering springs
    -rear air suspension
    -MSD coil blaster

Mine is a non AC, non PW and non power door locks...pretty bare bones. It came with the trx wheels and nice cloth seats. In my pictures I added the wheels and seats so you can't use them in the price comparison. It runs super strong (prolly a tad over 300hp) and the engine compartment, interior and under-carriage are really clean. It has the original paint but it does need to be repainted badly...no rust ( a few specs but very minor).

I think you are in the ball park at $4k for what you want but the 82's can have a tricky price range. I probably would have gotten mine a tad cheaper but I wanted to make nice with the buyer to ensure he would hold and deal with the hassle of a site unseen purchase. All in all I was happy to pay a few extra bucks to get what I was looking for.

Ron
    I'd like power windows and locks because I want to modernize it as much as possible, remote start, keyless entry, all that stuff. I would do a conversion but it sounds like more trouble than its worth. That black one in Rockford you saw, turned out to have manual windows and locks so I'll probably give up on that one. If I can get it at a good price, I'll probably settle and do the swap, but I don't see that happening.

I just posted a CL ad in the other for sale section on a 82 GT that may meet your criteria

Bump.

Still looking. It's about time they start getting dug out of the garage.
    Current:
    2002 BMW 330i 5-Speed

Looking for:
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Had:
    1984 Mustang GT T-Top Bare Chassis
    1984 Mustang GT350 5.0, 5-Speed
    1984 Mustang LX 5.0, 5-Speed

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Wow timing is everything--I know somebody who found a Blk/Blk '82 GT, and if that isn't uncommon enough? It had power locks AND buzz windows! Its the only one I've ever seen, and I think he only wanted a grand for it.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 03-08-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Nice, if it's a T-Top shoot me a PM with details.
    Current:
    2002 BMW 330i 5-Speed

Looking for:
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Had:
    1984 Mustang GT T-Top Bare Chassis
    1984 Mustang GT350 5.0, 5-Speed
    1984 Mustang LX 5.0, 5-Speed

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

It was a T-Top car, rust free in Arizona, but alas, this was available back in 2010! Like I said, timing is everything...