Close

Default Power door window problems

So I picked up a new (jy find) passenger power window control for my 83GT. My original was lost many many moons ago. I hooked it up and my window would only go down and not up. Did I just hook it up wrong or is my window motor fubar or something else? I tried a couple different combinations but couldn't get the window to go back up. Unfortunately my window is now all the way down so I can't tell if the other combinations are working but none will make my window go back up. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Read what I wrote on this thread. I hope it helps.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-power-window
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Interesting, I will try this tomorrow. Any thoughts as to what causes this?

If the window goes down too far, it can jam the motor enough that it is not able to raise the window back up.
    The fix for this is to correct the reason it's going down too far. Ford installed a rubber stop in the bottom of
    the door to keep this from happening. If the stop is damaged or missing, it needs to be replaced.

But I'm not seeing enough specifics in the original post to tell us that's what is happening here. It -could- be,
    but from the description it could be many things, including the window switch on the other door.

The simple test to determine whether a power window problem is electrical or mechanical is to watch the dome
    light, or lights under the dash, when you try to operate the window. When the lights are on, and you raise or
    lower a window, these will normally dim a bit. If the window doesn't move, but the lights dim, it's a mechanical
    problem. If the lights do not dim, it's electrical.

If this is an electrical problem, it will be helpful to know whether this car is a coupe/hatch or a convertible. The
    convertible window system is very different from the other two.
    Last edited by JACook; 09-30-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

JA,
    I like that elec/mech test. It's clever, easy without having to tear anything apart.

Johnny,
    If you do end up having to take your door panels off, you might as well replace or at least check and grease the 3 bushings on the window motor gear.