Close

New User

Default Aftermarket Radio in my '82 GT

I have a aftermarket stem mount radio to put in my '82 GT. I bought the car without a radio in it. It does have the "pull to operate" amplifier. I have found the factory radio plug. Can I get one of the adapter plugs and use the factory harness if I don't plan on using the factory amplifier? The plug coming from my amp switch appears to be the same as the adapter plugs I've found advertised. Or, will I need to bypass the amplifier? I have already installed the new dash speakers and decided to use the factory connectors. Will I be better off running all new wire for all four new speakers?

Thanks,
    Jeff

The amplifier has the same plug on the end as the radio plug does. It really just plugs in between the radio and the harness so it has the same ends on it.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

New User

I think I'll order one of the adapter plugs and give it a try............ Thanks

FEP Power Member

I replaced all the wires going to the speakers. I don't trust that old stuff in there.

If the aftermarket radio has a higher wattage, like more than 7 or 8 watts per channel, I might worry about the factory amp, and want to run my own speaker wires. IIRC, the Premium Sound in my '82 only amplified the rear speakers. After a while, I went with a trunk-style amp, and ran my own wires, and didn't use the PS amp..
    My '84's factory PS amp drove all four speakers, and worked fine with a low-power aftermarket stereo.

Beware of the light blue-with-red stripe wire which runs with the yellow 12V+ wire. The blue one is a gauge light lead, and you only want to use it if your aftermarket radio has an illumination input. n00bs use the blue one as a ground, and wonder why their gauge lights and tail lights don't work.

You might still be able to source a rubber or plastic filler-panel to fill any gaps between the factory opening and the "dial face" area of the aftermarket radio.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

What you need to do will depend entirely on the speaker wiring in the radio you are wanting to install.
    The factory PS amp expects all the channels from the radio to have a common ground. Many aftermarket
    radios use differential amplifier output stages that will be damaged if you try to connect one side of the
    outputs together. If your replacement unit has eight speaker output wires, it is likely a differential output,
    if there are only five output wires, it's not.

If you have eight output wires, it's unlikely that the four (-) wires would be common, but not unpossible.
    If the unit does not have specific instructions about the speaker wiring, the easy way to tell for sure is to
    measure for continuity between all four of the (-) outputs. If you don't have <0.1 Ω between them, do not
    connect them together.

The good news here is, since your car came with premium sound, if you do have a differential output radio,
    the factory speaker wiring is already capable. You would just need to connect in using the goezoutta connector
    on the amp switch.

If your aftermarket radio has five output wires, or has eight, but the four (-) wires are common, you can use
    the existing radio harness connector to tie in. The '81 PS amp powers only the rear speakers.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune