Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by larry84gt View Post
    i like the way those vdo gauges looks... anyone use the Digital Dakota gauge cluster? its looks nice but pricey....
    If you price out a complete set of gauges for the stock cluster, the price is cheaper than the Dakota Digital units, but not by a huge amount. When you consider the DD unit is a plug and play, it's not a bad price overall. That is if you like the styling.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you price out a complete set of gauges for the stock cluster, the price is cheaper than the Dakota Digital units, but not by a huge amount. When you consider the DD unit is a plug and play, it's not a bad price overall. That is if you like the styling.
    I just purchased 7 AutoMeter gauges for my 86. Trey is correct - could have done it much cheaper. But in my case the 7 were more expensive than the DDs if you also consider the GPS speedo unit. Moreover, it has to be assembled in the stock cluster. I did the "ES" series which also uses a black face and bezel; through the dial led lighting in red.

thanks for the kind words guys. this little project has been collecting dust for awhile now. i bought a pickup truck that i was torturing myself working on in the freezing cold when i was in the middle of this. now that the weather is starting to break, the capri stuff is top priority... and i have the top end off right now to install some thinner head gaskets. i'll update this with progress pics hopefully in the near future.

cale

Looking forward to see how project progresses, Cale.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

FINALLY got around to wiring this:

It's been over 2 years since I really did anything with this. See all the wires? I started wiring this one way, didn't like it and rage quit until now. I'm going to do some zip tying when I get down to putting it in the car. Not sure if I'm gonna have to take a step drill to my dash hull the clear some of the bulb sockets but I'll find out soon enough.

I even bought an sn95 vss because it had been so long that I had forgotten I had purchased a VDO hall effect vss. We've been spoiled with warm weather this winter (knock on wood) so I'm waiting for a warmer day to cut my original cluster plugs and solder and heat shrink in the new deal.

Cale

Cale, that's cool that your back on it. Look forward to seeing it progress as it should look great when done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Looks good!

Thanks guys! I just realized there will no longer be a high beam indicator... I guess I'll just have to be careful about that.

Cale

Great thread, joining so I can use some of these ideas.

Look at post # 3. That is my gauge cluster with the High Beam Indicator in Blue at the Left.

What did you do for the high beam indicator? And turn signals? Is it easy to wire in?
    Boss block 302, vortech blower, 473whp@12 psi

I got this project completed shortly after my last post, but never had any good pictures. The pictures I had were showing a lot of glare off the gauge lenses. I took another stab at pics tonight, not as great of quality as I would have liked them to be, but these will have to suffice. I'm pretty happy with how this all came together. It was a lot of work though.

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    What did you do for the high beam indicator? And turn signals? Is it easy to wire in?
    The turn signals were easy. I want to say the bulb sockets were for some sort of marker light on a Ford Ranger... I gathered the parts a couple years back at a U-pull yard so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Same with the seat belt and parking brake indicators. Just cut the plugs off and wire them up to the corresponding wires. An EVTM is a must-have for a job like this. I didn't address the high beam indicator. Other drivers have already let me know the highs are on, haha. I guess the Silverstars are still pretty bright! In all seriousness though, I couldn't come up with a solution to the dilemma that I liked.

If anyone needs a vehicle speed sensor, I bought one and a pigtail for an sn95 I didn't use because I forgot that bought the VDO vss when I bought all the gauges...

Cale

Looks good! Congratulations on getting it all wrapped up!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks very good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Looks awesome!

Very nice Cale!
    Did you tie into the stock wiring for the new gauges and then use new sending units for the oil water and fuel tank?
    Any pics of how you did the wiring?

Thanks guys for the nice compliments. Yes I tied into the stock wiring, Mike. If you check out post 30 I wired the gauges to some nice Ford plugs I got from the junkyard. I liked these plugs because they had enough wires to accomodate everything, and they're easy to disconnect and reconnect. I actually had more wires than I had use for and pulled the unused ones out. In the car I cut the factory plugs right out, soldered and heat shrink tubed their companions in place. Oil and water are VDO senders, fuel is the stock sender. The VDO gauge isn't an exact match for the sending unit in the car, so I've been setting the trip odometer and am figuring out when the car needs gas. I thought I had pictures but there aren't any on my memory card unfortunately. The were a few areas of the dash hull behind the cluster I had to clearance for it to fit right- nothing crazy, just time consuming when you try to hack things as little and cleanly as possible.

Cale
    Last edited by cb84capri; 07-25-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: some bad grammar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12