Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my 83 Capri build thread

I've finally gotten around to tearing into the car. I've kind of been working on the hood to kill time but today the boy and I started stripping the car down. I'm going to go ahead with Dark Academy Blue paint. I have to order the stripe kit from Phoenixgrafix.

Other than a dent in the quarter panel and replacing some of the rear window clips that I broke it should be a pretty easy job. Not looking forward to the cost of all of the trim and weather seals. Any advice on where to find that stuff? I hear the dew wipes and some of the Capri specific stuff is hard to find. Most of the paint is horrible so I'm going to strip the whole car.

Dent in the quarter. A little dolly and hammer work should take care of this.

Small dent in the passenger fender.

Although the car looks to be all original and can't find any evidence of any other body work the RS/5.0 emblems are set at different heights. Any ideas where they actually belong?

Also, the driver's quarter stripe sits a little higher than the other stripes. It sits right on the body line while the others sit about a quarter inch under. There are also a whole lot of screws missing from the interior which has me a bit confused.

Not sure when there will be any updates on this. I have to wire up the garage for a bigger air compressor. I'm also not sure if I'm going to build a makeshift paint booth in my garage or rent a booth. Hoping to get the show on the road and have it painted by Easter
    Last edited by RyKR; 01-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Chris Wood

Keep the pics comming.

As for the 5.0 emblem, the driver's side looks correct to me, it seems that the RS and 5.0 on the passenger's side is crooked.

Nice project. There isn't any Capri specific weatherstripping or dew wipes. Go look at foxresto.com (FMR) for kits.

Any damage to the side moldings with the lights/reflectors in them? Those are the things that are Capri specific and some what hard to find. Take care removing them! The other moldings are the same as the Mustang.

Good luck with the project and keep us updated.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Nice project. I wouldnt remove the trim pieces esp the side ones they have a metal strip and almost never go back on right.
    85 Capri-408w afr205 heads demon carb 3.73 t5 18" fr500's Mach 1 brakes, aje k-member eibach springs shock struts sway bars, autometer in dash gauges
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=124386

There wasn't any damage to the side moldings. I thought that the pre 85 side mouldings were easier to work with and able to take off and refurbish.

I think that the emblem picture is a little deceiving. The angle of the picture makes the passenger side look crooked. Also, it is parallel with the body line but do to the contour of the capri fender the it looks further off. I'm just more concerned with the gap. The 5.0on the passenger side looks more centered between the sticker and the molding. Not sure if it should be like that or closer to the sticker.

Thanks for any tips, advice, or comments in general.

Has it been painted before? that rs decal may of been factory installed that way,and as stated above,foxresto is the place to go
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

i see why you were asking about the paint. yours is very faded.

your interior appears to be the same color as mine too.

cale

I can't find any evidence of a repaint anywhere other than the decals. The prior owner said that the dash pad and the carpet have been replaced so that would explain all of the missing interior screws.

Nice project! Good luck with it!!
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    i see why you were asking about the paint. yours is very faded.

your interior appears to be the same color as mine too.

cale
    Your car is probably the only reason that I decided to go with the original color. Well, that combined with the general rarity of that color.

Well, ya got a ways to go good luck.

Nice project keep it up
    85 Capri-408w afr205 heads demon carb 3.73 t5 18" fr500's Mach 1 brakes, aje k-member eibach springs shock struts sway bars, autometer in dash gauges
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=124386

Anyways, I have the doors and interior gutted (except for the dash hull). I hope to have the doors, hatch, fenders, and front cover off tonight and then the engine and trans. out tomorrow. I want to be able to paint the engine bay on my next days off on Tuesday.

I kind of hit a snag. Whoever decided they needed a sunroof should've probably found someone else to install it. They hacked out the roof support and didn't bother to move it or replace it. Part of me wants to just replace the roof with one without a sunroof but... sunroofs are nice in the summer when you have no air conditioning. I guess I'm looking for a used roof support if anyone has a car their parting out. Maybe I can just fab something out of flat stock?

I like seeing this! Won't find that on my red one though

Damn! The dreaded cracks under the driver's side seat. Looks like someone fixed it good with an epoxy of some sort.

Does anyone sell these grommets that go around the door plungers?

I guess it's been hit in the rear.
    Last edited by RyKR; 01-19-2012 at 11:52 AM.

FEP Member

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=126520

Quote Originally Posted by jovibuilt View Post
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=126520
    Thanks

Not getting very far. Working a bunch and been sick as hell. Today I got the bumper cover, fenders, and side moldings off. I started getting the engine ready to pull also. My original plan was to have it pulled by this evening so I can spray the engine bay. Maybe tomorrow.

The moldings came off pretty easily. I was worried about digging into this part. I know that Hissing Cobra has a tutorial on refurbishing them but I can't find it right now.

Not sure if this is the way that everyone else does it but it worked well. I bought one of those flimsy scrapers and heated it up with a torch and then slowly pushed it through the the tape. I left the torch going and would occasionally heat the scraper when needed.

Like a hot knife through butter

It doesn't look like I damaged any of them. The passenger side that is right behind the door was damaged in an accident. I'm hoping that a little heat will straighten it out. The rest of them lay pretty flat.

I didn't realize how small my garage is until I got the car most of the way apart.
    Last edited by RyKR; 01-24-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification in red

Nice stuff
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

Looks like you are making great progress!

I have noticed myself that the average Mustang takes up the space of 3 vehicles when a full dissassembly happens.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I found Hissing Cobra's thread. I guess he used a torch also. I didn't try heating the side moldings though, I just heated the scraper. Seemed to work well. Eventually I will have to follow the steps in the following link.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng+restoration

It's crazy how much time I waste doing absolutely nothing. Then when I want to do something, I get sick or have other stuff come up.

I finally got the engine pulled today then rolled it outside to power wash the engine bay.

Now I'm just trying to determine how much stuff to mask off or tear apart. I'd like to avoid unbolting the struts and the master cylinder and just mask them off, but I can't decide. Hell, an alignment is only $50.

I was disheartened to see this broken bolt in the door hinge. I was thinking about taking the doors off, but now I may just leave them on. With the fenders on I can still get the door jams really well.
    Last edited by RyKR; 01-30-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Is there a good trick to removing the quarter windows? Mine are glued in quite well.

Also, underneath the sail panel trim pieces there were white "gummy" washer type things where the bolts went through. Can I buy something similar to them? I guess they seal the hole. Has anyone else done anything to seal these holes? I was thinking about seam sealer but I don't want to glue them in. I just don't want them to leak.

I am hoping to get the engine compartment painted on Thursday or Friday and the trans. and clutch installed on the other engine so I can install them next week. I know that it's still two months away but my Easter deadline is scaring me. Especially when I think about all of the stuff that I still have to buy. I need seals, a couple of grommets, a damned dr. side A-pillar trim piece , the roof support, heater core..... Geez, the list goes on and on.

On your door hinge bolt that is broken. Remove all the bolts and remove the door. Once the door is out of the way, reach up inside the panel were the hinges bolt to the body. There is a metal plate that the hinge bolts attach to. The plate is held in place by 3 metal tabs that are bent over. You can bent one or more of the tabs out and then remove the plate. Once the plate is out of the vehicle you can mount it in a vise to remove the broken bolt. Generally I recommend soaking it well with a penetrating lube. Also many times it is easier to thread the broken bolt through the plate rather than trying to unscrew it, if that makes since. PM me if you need more information.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RyKR View Post
    Is there a good trick to removing the quarter windows? Mine are glued in quite well.

Also, underneath the sail panel trim pieces there were white "gummy" washer type things where the bolts went through. Can I buy something similar to them? I guess they seal the hole. Has anyone else done anything to seal these holes? I was thinking about seam sealer but I don't want to glue them in. I just don't want them to leak.
    The windows are held in with strip caulk. A window cut out tool is helpful, but not a absolute necessity. You can sometimes buy them at the parts stores. You just have to be careful and make sure you are cutting the seam sealer and not pressing on the glass or else you can crack it. You can also use piano wire to cut out the glass too. Using a heat gun will help to soften the strip caulk and that will make it easier to cut through. I have even cut them out using just a plan utility knife, just plan on some scraped knuckles!

The gummy washers under the sail panels are sealing material also. To replace it you can use caulk, seam sealer, or just about anything. I prefer to use body caulk/seam sealer that remains flexible and doesn't glue the sail panels in place just in case they ever have to be removed again. You should be able to pick up the seam sealer and strip caulk at your local paint supply house.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Is that bungee straps I see you pulling that motor with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast