Close

Default Is it, or Isn't it ?

I have been doing a lot of repairs for my 65,000 mile ASC McLaren, so I thought I would run car fax on it. You don't get the option of saying it's an ASC McLaren, just Capri. It stated that vin # 1MEBP79M7GF608316 started it's , paper life as 1986 Mercury Capri 2 Door hatchback. My 1986 ASC McLaren is a red convertible. Was the car converted from a 2H to a convertible? The car has all the badges and interior. I'm confused, is it an ASC McLaren, even though the title says 1986 Merc 2H.

Thanks,

Randy Veach

The title won't tell you If it's a special edition or not. Have you posted the door, buck, amd vin tags and had them decoded? I don't know much about Capri's so I couldn't tell you what specifically you need to look for (to determine if it's a real ASC). I don't even know if these tags will show anything to that effect, but it's a good start. Does your car have the ASC door tag? Is there a registry or specific ASC site that knows which vins were converted by ASC (like Saleen)? With my Saleen I was able to call Saleen and give them the last 8 of my vin and my Saleen car number and they verified that it is an authentic Saleen...is there anything like that for you?

Foxchassis I'm sure can shine a light on this subject. You out there Mick?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

On the right hand side of the car is a copper plate approximately 3/4" X 4". On this copper plate it says: "Design Concept by Peter Muscat, Serial 86-0058" (two lines). I have no idea what this means (Have you posted the door, buck, and vin tags and had them decoded?).

On the LH door edge is an ASC McLaren sticker. It says, "This vehicle was altered by ASC McLaren in 2-86 and as altered it conforms to all applicable federal ? (couldn't read) vehicle safety and bumper standards in effect in 12-85". I feel a little better.

Randy Veach

ascMcLaren did indeed convert hatchbacks to convertibles. As far as authenticating one, I'm not the man for that. Others are more of an ascMcLaren expert than I am. ascMcLaren.org would be the place to ask. We have quite a few members here that are also there, so some of them may be able to answer your question here.

This particualr VIN I have in the database already. Found it on ebay four years ago in Clermont, FL with _61,835 miles.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Yep, All ASC convertables started life with a roof. The Windsheild is also racked back. Not easily done "ASC had a very large fixture to do it"

Also seems that ASC's when sold are really moving around as they grow more popular
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri