Close

Default Driver side power window

I put in a new power window motor, on the driver side, and was treated to an unusual surprise. On the bottom of the door (between the outside wall and inside wall of the door) was a piece of PVC about 2 feet long and 1 1/4" diameter. This stopped the window from going all the way down. Is there a reason for this? Can I remove it or should I leave it there?
    Thanks for the reply.

Randy Veach
    1986 ASC McLaren # 0058 ( red Convertible)

I have a problem with one of my windows refusing to go up when it was all the way down.
    This did not happen every time, but if it did the only remedy was to take off the door panel, and remove and put back the motor. A different motor did not help fix this.

I checked all the wiring and the switch thinking that was the problem, but no.

If I left the window up 1/4", it never recurred.
    The PO might have put the pipe in there to prevent the window from going all the way down.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

is the pvc pipe just laid in there, or is it fixed into the door somehow? it certainly didnt come from the factory, and if it did, there ought to be a piece of pipe on the passenger side.. I would try removing it, and see what happens. if the window gets stuck down, atleast the panel is off already, and you can find the problem once you're in there. if you have to unbolt the window motor again, that's certainly a pain, but you can re-do it. the pvc pipe can then be of use when trying to prop up the window

I think the pvc pipe would cause a problem down the road if its blocking the slits at the bottom which allow water to escape. even if its just a tiny amount of moisture sitting around or under the pipe, it can spell disaster by way of rust for your door quickly.

ALSO ....... check the bottom of the doors for debris and other garbage. i found all types of garbage in my doors. make sure they're clean and the holes at the bottom are not clogged in anyway