Close

Default Picked up an old friend

I sold my first Capri to a friend of mine, and as time does to everything, he never got around to doing anything with it. Other things kept popping up. He told me earlier this year that he had to get rid of it, so I bought it back from him. It took me a few months, but this weekend I drove down to Texas and picked it up. She's been sitting out in the weather, but overall is in good shape. My original plan was to drop the drivetrain from my '84 RS into it, and just go, but it needs a little more TLC than that. So I'm going to pull a few things off, sand and clean it up, then shoot it with primer and another coat of silver. After that, the conversion to a roller 306 and T5 will commence.

Here's my 1979 Capri 5.0 w/ ghia package. She's got an 8.8" rear, tokico blue shocks/struts, lowering springs, and welded in subframe connectors to start with.

After the pressure washer, before unloading:

After unloading, a 2nd bath, then moved around to the back of the house next to her younger sister.

This is what she looked like shortly after I got her (the first time). I ended up selling the wheels/tires and engine/transmission, then sold the car as a rolling chassis.

Looks good. Definitely better with those wheels and that extra spoiler removed.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I like the Saleen stacked spoiler, it will stay on the car. No idea what I'm going to do for wheels, for now the ugly turbines will stay.

Is that a real Saleen "stacked" spoiler? If so, those are pretty rare. Cool car, glad you got it back!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Is that a real Saleen "stacked" spoiler? If so, those are pretty rare. Cool car, glad you got it back!
    Yup. I had the skirts and rear valence, but I sold those many years ago. No one was really interested in the spoiler, so I kept it. I liked how it looked.

Very cool that you got it back....

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    I agree and it sounds like you have a good plan together! I agree that it did look good with the wheels in the pictures before you let it go last time. Although I'm not sure about the double spoiler thing. I had never heard of or seen one before and thought it was a "custom" modification.

Good luck regardless!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Oh. Duh. I thought you had put the wheels on it and removed the spoiler, since you got the car back.

I was concentrating on the pics more than the text...
    Didn't realize that the spoiler was Saleen. If you could have any one piece from that kit, the rear spoiler would be the one to have.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Rob, you drove halfway across the USA for a Capri..... I kid I kid. It looks like you'll be pretty busy with both of those. Do you plan on putting mouldings back on it? If so I've got a couple door ones, shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Yes, now the only other Capri I need to get back is the one I gave to my brother
    Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I agree and it sounds like you have a good plan together! I agree that it did look good with the wheels in the pictures before you let it go last time. Although I'm not sure about the double spoiler thing. I had never heard of or seen one before and thought it was a "custom" modification.

Good luck regardless!
    The stacked spoiler is a love/hate thing. I like it over the regular Saleen whale tail, for some reason. I don't think I've ever seen another one in person, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Oh. Duh. I thought you had put the wheels on it and removed the spoiler, since you got the car back.

I was concentrating on the pics more than the text...
    Didn't realize that the spoiler was Saleen. If you could have any one piece from that kit, the rear spoiler would be the one to have.
    It's all good, after I posted I realized I didn't order them very well, but it's not too big of a deal I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
    Rob, you drove halfway across the USA for a Capri..... I kid I kid. It looks like you'll be pretty busy with both of those. Do you plan on putting mouldings back on it? If so I've got a couple door ones, shoot me a pm if you're interested.
    It was only 582 miles to get there.

I do plan on putting the molding back on. I have to go through everything I have. I think I have everything to put back on it from front-to-rear, then I just have to see what I have left for Red I still gotta get the engine/trans out of red, then I can roll her out and silver can come in. After that, lots of work ahead of me :P

Rob

congrats Rob, I'm sure it will look great when your done
    stock 00 explorer 5.0 with 120k,comp XE274HR cam Edelbrock preformer air,fms shorty headers,x pipe and 40 series,under drive pullies, fresh t-5,king cobra 10.5 clutch,Hurst short throw shifter,fms alumin drive shaft, bbk frame conectors, 8.8 4;10 , MM camber caster plates, MM XD ADJ lower control arms

Congrats Rob!

Good Luck with the Restoration/Revival!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Some progress pictures:

That engine bay is pristine! Only patina I see is on the MC and booster and brake lines, the wiper motor, and the metal caps on the strut mounts.

Looking good Rob, I was just wondering about this thread. What are you doing up in Kansas City?