Close

Thread: 5 lug swap

Default 5 lug swap

Bein new to mustangs I need help have 1986 gt want to do swap I was told to use Svo discs and they will fit spindle that's all I need? I see a lot of post usin late model set ups why?

The Lincoln Mark VII/SVO Mustang rotors won't fit your 86. You would have to swap to 87-93 V8 spindles and calipers to use those rotors. There are some Ranger rotors that will fit your 86 but I think they have to be machined some. Your car has 10" front brakes (unless someone has upgraded it) and the 87-93 V8 cars have 11" front brakes. That is the main reason you see people upgrading to later parts. Also, depending on what wheels you are wanting to run, if you convert by swapping rotors only, certain newer model wheels won't fit the older rotors because the dust cap will interfere with the center caps on the wheels.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Keep in mind if you do swap to 87-93 V8 spindles, you will either need spacers for your struts or newer struts as well. The mounting pad is 1/4" thinner on the newer spindles.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Keep in mind if you do swap to 87-93 V8 spindles, you will either need spacers for your struts or newer struts as well. The mounting pad is 1/4" thinner on the newer spindles.
    Thxs for info

Another point about the later model wheels with small center caps is that some wheels will not even fit the rotor properly. The rotor snout diameter is larger than the wheel center cap diameter and the wheel will not seat fully on the rotor. This mainly applies to using the Mark VII, SVO, or Ranger rotors with Cobra R, 98 Cobra, 10 Anniversary, 99+ Cobra, and some 05+ wheels.

Basically if you are looking at any wheels that use the flush mount @ 2.5" diameter center cap, I recommend you test fit the rotor to the wheel before installing the rotors on the car. That will tell you if it will clear and sit flush to one another. In many cases the 94/95 spindles are the better choice if you want to run those types of wheels. Although there are some additional issues that need to be addressed when swapping to the SN95 parts too.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Another point about the later model wheels with small center caps is that some wheels will not even fit the rotor properly. The rotor snout diameter is larger than the wheel center cap diameter and the wheel will not seat fully on the rotor. This mainly applies to using the Mark VII, SVO, or Ranger rotors with Cobra R, 98 Cobra, 10 Anniversary, 99+ Cobra, and some 05+ wheels.

Basically if you are looking at any wheels that use the flush mount @ 2.5" diameter center cap, I recommend you test fit the rotor to the wheel before installing the rotors on the car. That will tell you if it will clear and sit flush to one another. In many cases the 94/95 spindles are the better choice if you want to run those types of wheels. Although there are some additional issues that need to be addressed when swapping to the SN95 parts too.

Good Luck!

Trey
    I'm planning on running weld pro stars what do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
    I'm planning on running weld pro stars what do you suggest?
    I have never run the weld pro stars, so I can't say for sure. I believe the 87-93 spindles and the Mark VII or Ranger rotors should work just fine. The SN95 spindles and rotors should work just fine too. The biggest advantage to the SN95 parts is brake and brake pad options if you need/want that. Otherwise the 87-93 spindles and brakes work just fine for most street cars.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Hey trey, dont forget FR-500 Wheels too. Lol. Yup, they dont fit the svo hub neither. Thank god for machine shops 40$ all better.

Quote Originally Posted by chads84svo View Post
    Hey trey, dont forget FR-500 Wheels too. Lol. Yup, they dont fit the svo hub neither. Thank god for machine shops 40$ all better.
    I never really liked the FR 500 wheels myself, so I don't think about them. Oh I might have gone too far there!

But yes you are correct that is another one that can have fitment issues with the non SN95 hubs/spindles.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If you want to run welds prostars up front......you cant Not without spacers on sn95 stuff.. Unless you have the caliper grind down a bit. A good 15 inch wheel for the FRONT with sn95 rotors and calipers(gt only) would be the racestars.

how to do a screen shot

[QUOTE=86darkside;1675574]If you want to run welds prostars up front......you cant Not without spacers on sn95 stuff.. Unless you have the caliper grind down a bit. A good 15 inch wheel for the FRONT with sn95 rotors and calipers(gt only) would be the racestars.

how to do a screen shot[/QUOTE

Will a 96 spindle setup work?
    Last edited by Dustya; 09-29-2014 at 12:42 PM.

You don't want to use a 96+ spindle on a stock k-member. You will have bump steer issues. The face of the rotor sits the same as the 94-95.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4