Close

Default 1986 mustang 5 lug swap clearance issues

So I have a 1986 mustang that I swapped control arms and rear end from a 2003 mach 1, but now I'm having clearance issues with my driver's fender when I turn to the right about 3/4 turn. I've tried the 255/40r17 tires that I got with the car and it rubs. They're both replacement fenders so I assume they could be different, but does anyone know from experience what tires I can use? I also tried 245/45r17 which we had from our mach 1. On the passenger side there is less than 1/4" clearance. I would really like to run amr 18's that I got from american muscle, the 275's fit fine on the back but there's just about no way I see the 255's fitting the front.
    1986 Mustang GT T-top, 5 speed manual- Daily driver

If you used the front control arms from the mach 1 they are longer, pushing the tire outwards. Camber plates might fix the top so it could be aligned but you'll likely have to run a wheel with more offset to clear the fender.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Yeah, what he ^^^ said.

Alignment is less of an issue right now, the camber is close, but I need some wheels so that I can drive it. I'd rather use the ones I have if possible, but is there anything else that can be done? And if not does anyone run a 40-45mm offset and knows that it fits with the inner fender at that point. I'll settle for the 2005 stock bullitt or gt rims if I have to, just didn't want to buy more

Putting your stock control arms back on and getting some c/c plates would be cheaper than buying tires.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Another member on here did basically the same thing and runs 05-up wheels no problem. But changing the control arms back would certainly be cheaper. Just put a couple washers under the ball joint nut on the spindle to make up the difference if you put the later spindles on too.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Take the rims to the machine shop and have them mill off material from the back until you get your backspacing

Attachment 75256Attachment 75257here is my setup 87-93 gt k-member stock a-arms upr camber plates 95 spindles with 04 gt brakes and 05 up wheels 245-45-17 and nothing rubs a everything fits perfect and stops great

I really like the look of those rims on our cars, very nice. I guess I'll be trying to swap back to the fox a arms this weekend. Does anyone know if the 03 ball joints fit in the fox arms? I'd rather the proper ball joint instead of washers. Thanks for the help.

Yes, they will.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual