Close

Thread: Header question

Default Header question

Is there any point replacing the stock cast iron headers with the later stock 5.0 tubular headers (with the heat risers) and a non catalyst Y-pipe on my stock '82 GT? I would still like to use the single exhaust to keep the car looking stock. I would also like to replace the filter element in my stock intake with a free flowing type. Any thoughts on K&N versus the competition? Would these mods ad maybe 10 more horses to an anemic little stock 5.0?
    Last edited by Bruce Mohacsy; 09-14-2014 at 09:25 AM.

The biggest improvement I noticed way back when I had my 82 GT and started to mod it was replacing the two barrel with a four barrel. I don't think you will see much power increase with the exhaust unless you run duals. There was an 82 GT down here that was for sale and I caught up with it at a local car show. He ran the duals into the stock exhaust tip on the drivers side so it looked stock until you either heard it or looked under the car. The K&N or equal would definitely be a plus.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

If I put on a four barrel don't I have to replace the intake manifold? I thought about replacing the whole system with duals running parallel to each other right out to the tips. Funny that you mentioned that. I read on other posts here that running duals doesn't guarantee an increase in HP. It will just move the peak hp to another place on the curve. Thoughts?

You would have to change your intake for a four barrel. I know that when I put duals on my 84, it was fairly stock and it made a big seat of the pants difference in the car. It had a noticeable increase in power.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

OK. So if I read you guys correctly.......

Complete dual exhaust from the heads back to the tips
    New intake manifold
    New four barrel

I'm thinking of 2 things:

Will I need to scrounge a filter assembly for a later 4 barrel equipped car and can I hook up my cruise control or do I need to get one off of a later carb car?

My car was dead stock. I put stock 87 headers on it along with a Walker catted H pipe and a Walker Dynomax 2 1/4" catback and it was the best thing I had ever done to it. Car could breath a lot easier without the manifolds and single exhaust. I've since upgraded headers but being that I put an Explorer engine in it, I can't comment on what the headers alone added haha.

I am not sure about the air cleaner. I think it will fit. You can measure the hole in the center and see how it compares to a newer one for a four barrel. Cruise would probably depend on the carburetor, but you should be able to move the linkage over.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Of course I ask these questions having hardly done a lick of engine work in my life. All of this is new to me. I read a lot but there "ain't nothin' like the real thang"! This is something I might tackle when the snow flys.

Only way to learn is to jump in there and do it! Worst part of the dual exhaust conversion to me was dealing with the rear brake line. Lots of little parts to collect to do it correctly, such as muffler and tailpipe hangers and what not.

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

I did the same thing with my 82 Capri RS. I added Ford Racing shorties, MAC off road X-pipe & Flowmaster 3 chamber 2 1/2" cat back. I pirated all of the exhaust hangers, steel brake line off of rear end, rubber rear brake line, & a portion of the steel brake line in front of the rubber line, off of a wrecked 89 GT. It made everything a direct bolt in. The car had a noticeable power difference. Later I added a Performer RPM intake and 1406 Edelbrock 600 carb for another noticeable power gain.
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800