Close

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    I agree on the latches and on the top stretching. Best thing you can do is have the car sit in the hot sun with the top up. That will help greatly. And on the seal installations I believe American Muscle as video of installing them on YouTube. LMR may also. It's worth a watch.

84stangSVT-- just wanted to make sure you knew what was up with the styling bar as your post said you wanted to take the car for track days. No offense meant.

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    No offense taken
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    so since this is a convertible thread. let me ask if anybody has advice on replacing the convertible weather stripping?

I just bought the 5 piece kit from LMR and I know you get only one chance to do it right so I want to learn as much as possible about this project before I tackle it.

Also, I had my top replaced last summer. it was super tight to close last year and its still pretty tight even after a whole season of staying closed and stretched. I am wondering if I should ask the installer to try to stretch it some more. Is it even possible for them to get some of the tension out? As it is, it takes two people to close the top. I can do it myself, but no one else can.

The installer told me last year that the hooks should have spring tension on them to keep them reaching for the slot until you close the latch. mine hang and have no tension at all. I can buy new latches for $144 each on LMR, but I don't see any listing for replacement spring for the hook tension. Is this replaceable and is there even supposed to be a spring to tension the hooks?
    Install weather strip video......http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...atherstrip-Kit

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

Has anyone installed a head liner on thier convertible? Mine did not come with one as an option originially. Was wondering if it is worth it? I would think it would help quiet the interior down a bit during highway driving and act as an insulator.

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    Has anyone installed a head liner on thier convertible? Mine did not come with one as an option originially. Was wondering if it is worth it? I would think it would help quiet the interior down a bit during highway driving and act as an insulator.
    I put a headliner in mine. Although it wasn't stock, it makes the interior more cozy and it looks great.

here's pics of mine. its held on the two side rails by Velcro and every time you open and close the convertible you have to re affix the Velcro.

Attachment 85933Attachment 85934Attachment 85935

Ooooooo!

I think I want one of these. I'm pretty sure there's an installation video on the internet somewhere.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Headliner does really give the interior a nice clean look. On the to do list after top and seals are replaced later this year.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

So I finally got around to replacing my convertible weather stripping yesterday. It took all day because I took my time and I primed and repainted the channels the weather stripping goes in. After hitting with a wire wheel (and ALOT of adhesive remover) to get the old glue out, the metal was exposed. I used a rusty metal primer and satin black paint. Same as my body side trim.

I did not put any 3M weather stripping glue in yet. I wanted to make sure its all seated properly before I make it permanent. The annoying thing is now all the doors and windows don't close right and I will have to pull the panels and adjust them all. I've never done that before. Any suggestions or tutorials that show how?

Here's pics from yesterday. I even replaced the quarter window weather stripping and repainted the rail.

Attachment 85975Attachment 85976Attachment 85977Attachment 85978

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I'm not sure on the tightness of the top but I think it will loosen up the more you raise and lower the top. As for the latches, our cars do not have a spring in the hook assembly so they just hang when you have it unlatched, I would not buy new ones unless yours are broke as they are going to work the same as the ones you currently have.

Also I had the top down all day yesterday and I had a bitch of a time closing it again. The car sat a whole winter with the top closed and fully stretched. it sits in the sun everyday too so I don't think waiting will make this better. Im gonna visit Auto mat tomorrow and ask them to adjust this. A good convertible top job should enable anyone to close the top without it being a job for 2 strong men. I paid a nice chunk of change for this top and I didn't haggle the price because Auto mat is supposed to be one of the best in the country. I think they have to address this.

I did not put any 3M weather stripping glue in yet. I wanted to make sure its all seated properly before I make it permanent. The annoying thing is now all the doors and windows don't close right and I will have to pull the panels and adjust them all. I've never done that before. Any suggestions or tutorials that show how?
    Best $25 I ever spent on my vert....shows all the adjustments....................
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Top-Guide-Book

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

fgross2006, I am still waiting for my top to loosen up after 4 years...not a big deal as it comes down to within a couple inches under power and then I can pull down to latch. I also replaced all the weather stripping at that time and had problems with the pillar strip setting right but it eventually did collapse into position and I am happy with it. Additionally, I chose not to glue these two pieces in place and has been all good.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Fgross2006: looks great! Definitely get the convertible top manual listed above from LMR or ebay. It is an excellent resource for our cars and shows all the adjustments. I would have them readjust the top to give you a little more slack if possible. After all winter of being up it should be starting to stretch enough to close it with little effort. They might not be able to if its not a cable adjustment as there really isn't any way to loosen the top material itself once it's installed. That needs to stretch all on its own. One thing that helps is to set it in the sun like you are doing. Also use top conditioner on it to soften it a bit. Just apply it lightly with a sponge dampened with the conditioner. Don't spray it directly on the top. If after the summer it is still too tight, try dampening it with water and let the sun dry it off. The water evaporates off as actually will help it stretch too. If you do that, definitely treat it with conditioner a week before hand to help prevent water spots or fading. Good luck.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

I played with the front window adjustments for a few hours today. I determined the front pillar post weatherstripping is whats throwing the windows off. To a certain extent the door on the passenger side isnt closing past the top rail weather stripping either. Since the new stripping fits right into place and has no adjustment that I can see, I cant figure out how to correct this condition.

Even putting on new rear quarter weather stripping had an adverse result,

FEP Power Member

I put a headliner in mine. Although it wasn't stock, it makes the interior more cozy and it looks great.

here's pics of mine. its held on the two side rails by Velcro and every time you open and close the convertible you have to re affix the Velcro.

Attachment 85933Attachment 85934Attachment 85935
    That looks good. I was wondering if it causes the top to not fold down far enough in the back to put the boot on or if there is a danger of it breaking the glass window. Not sure if I like the velcro strips idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    That looks good. I was wondering if it causes the top to not fold down far enough in the back to put the boot on or if there is a danger of it breaking the glass window. Not sure if I like the velcro strips idea.
    Mine works great. I am able to put the boot on and it all fits.

The Velcro is the only way to fasten the headliner along the side rails.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Fgross2006: looks great! Definitely get the convertible top manual listed above from LMR or ebay. It is an excellent resource for our cars and shows all the adjustments. I would have them readjust the top to give you a little more slack if possible. After all winter of being up it should be starting to stretch enough to close it with little effort. They might not be able to if its not a cable adjustment as there really isn't any way to loosen the top material itself once it's installed. That needs to stretch all on its own. One thing that helps is to set it in the sun like you are doing. Also use top conditioner on it to soften it a bit. Just apply it lightly with a sponge dampened with the conditioner. Don't spray it directly on the top. If after the summer it is still too tight, try dampening it with water and let the sun dry it off. The water evaporates off as actually will help it stretch too. If you do that, definitely treat it with conditioner a week before hand to help prevent water spots or fading. Good luck.

I went to AutoMat today and showed them how tough it is to close the top. he agreed and I have to bring it in on the 24th and leave it for a day to try to adjust it better. He does insist that the hooks should have a spring to tension them. he is gonna look into finding springs.

FEP Power Member

Mine works great. I am able to put the boot on and it all fits.

The Velcro is the only way to fasten the headliner along the side rails.
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to determine if it's worth another $200.00.

I went to AutoMat today and showed them how tough it is to close the top. he agreed and I have to bring it in on the 24th and leave it for a day to try to adjust it better. He does insist that the hooks should have a spring to tension them. he is gonna look into finding springs.
    That is good news! Keep us posted on the results!

--Bill

South Eastern Pa. Bringing up the rear of The rat race...

I am going to attempt a top replacement. I will be using the info from this thread for sure. Any opinions on who makes the best replacement top?

85 Vert owner here...my first car bought in 1996
    Question: how do you remove all the visible trim at the base of the convertible top? All of my factory Dark Charcoal Gray looks like GM rental car interior gray now. I want to remove all the pieces and repaint them. Do these just snap off and if so is there some methodology to avoid breaking anything? Also, are the side mirrors supposed to be Dark Charcoal as well?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Four Eyed Fox View Post
    I am going to attempt a top replacement. I will be using the info from this thread for sure. Any opinions on who makes the best replacement top?
    Welcome to FEP! I got mine from a guy who got it from Latemodel Restoration. It's seems like a nice top and has worked well since it's install. There might be better tops?? but I don't know which ones, anybody else know??

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neener View Post
    Question: how do you remove all the visible trim at the base of the convertible top? All of my factory Dark Charcoal Gray looks like GM rental car interior gray now. I want to remove all the pieces and repaint them. Do these just snap off and if so is there some methodology to avoid breaking anything? Also, are the side mirrors supposed to be Dark Charcoal as well?
    I only removed the easy stuff to repaint and left the ones around the bottom on the car when I did mine. If you want to remove them I would recommend getting a trim removal set, I've seen them at Harbor Freight in the auto section. I believe they do clip off and those removal tools make it easier.
    Not sure about stock mirror color, both my Pony's I repainted black.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neener View Post
    The trim around the outer base of the top well area attaches with studs/nuts from the inside...and they can be a real booger to get to. The center piece (adjacent to the trunk lid) is aluminum and purdy solid. However, the adjacent "hockey sticks" are plastic and easy to break and expensive to replace. The quarter window pieces attach the same way. If you are going through this process, I would go ahead and purchase the weather striping as the newer piece is like that later design and allows more room up under the trim pieces for the top boot attachment which in turn creates less chance for scratches. When I did mine back several years ago they did not have available the older quarter window two piece design. I have to cut/modify the later one piece design and it has been fine, no worries.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The trim around the outer base of the top well area attaches with studs/nuts from the inside...and they can be a real booger to get to. The center piece (adjacent to the trunk lid) is aluminum and purdy solid. However, the adjacent "hockey sticks" are plastic and easy to break and expensive to replace. The quarter window pieces attach the same way. If you are going through this process, I would go ahead and purchase the weather striping as the newer piece is like that later design and allows more room up under the trim pieces for the top boot attachment which in turn creates less chance for scratches. When I did mine back several years ago they did not have available the older quarter window two piece design. I have to cut/modify the later one piece design and it has been fine, no worries.
    I should have viewed my vert manual first, bwguardian is right, looks like a real pain to get too........

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

A couple of pages back I noticed a few people discussing top cleaners. I have used bimini top cleaner on my top for quite some time. I am still on my original top.
    1985 Mustang GT convertible triple white
    Stock survivor

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Holy balls....that is a pain. So what do people usually do? Re-paint them on the car?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast