Close

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie4eyed View Post
    Come on you blokes, we need more talk about ragtops - let's keep this here thread alive!!!!
    If I come across any vert stuff I'll be sure to post here.......

I'm putting mine to bed this weekend.....winter is here. Well, as long as the 85 holds together.....LOL

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Sure must be weird having to sock your car away during winter and not get to drive it?

Guess we are spoiled, or just lucky, down here.
    Regards
    Gary

Sure must be weird having to sock your car away during winter and not get to drive it?

Guess we are spoiled, or just lucky, down here.
    Same here in California...I can't imagine having to store it for the winter and not being able to drive it when I want to.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I wish I lived in an area that I could drive the car all year long. It sucks stashing the car away for four months out of the year. Plan to move south in the future to be able to enjoy nice weather year round. Only plus to the bad weather is its four months to tear into the car and do upgrades without missing out on any shows.

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Well....I did drive mine for 10 years every day all year long before I bought my 85 coupe in 09. And since I have no garage or carport I had to invest in a nice car cover. If the weather clears a bit and no snow or ice on her I'll drive her around a few times over winter to stretch those legs. Sometimes we get a warmish day, knit hat, keep the windows up, heat on full and top down........

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Well....I did drive mine for 10 years every day all year long before I bought my 85 coupe in 09. And since I have no garage or carport I had to invest in a nice car cover. If the weather clears a bit and no snow or ice on her I'll drive her around a few times over winter to stretch those legs. Sometimes we get a warmish day, knit hat, keep the windows up, heat on full and top down........
    Thumbs up to ya!! That is cool.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Yeah! Mopar to ya Scotty! - Well done!
    Regards
    Gary

I just picked up a new vert. I left the top down for a few days in my garage trying to dry out the interior a bit looking for a way to remediate the mold issues I think I have. My wife has an instant asthma attack when she gets in. I tried to put the top up after a few days and it wouldn't go but I now have a nice pool of hydraulic fluid in front of my rear passenger tire. I assume this is a burst line in the pump, or somewhere in the process? I have purchased the vert manual form LMR and while I wait for that to arrive can anyone confirm that it also includes info on the hydro's for the top to move up/down? I need it to adjust my door windows anyway so it won't be a wasted purchase either way.

You probably have a broken line. You should go ahead and remove the back seat and rear quarter panels to see what you have to work with. I would go ahead and remove the front seats and center console too to be able to get the carpet out and clean everything up given you mention mold issues.

To remove the back seat you need to push back and then up in the center front of the seat bottom...just over the transmission hump. Once the bottom is out you will be able to see the bolts holding the seat back in and you will also have to take the top liner loose on the well side of the unit. after this you should be able to figure out the rear quarter panels...there are a few hidden screws in the carpet area just behind the front seats and adjacent to the door jamb. The lines are not that hard to replace but you will need to top off and work out the air in the pump. Lastly, you can raise/lower the top manually but understand with a leak you will work additional fluid out of the system.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I agree, broken line or failed hydraulic cylinder. That manual you bought will help you greatly with this problem. As far as the mold in the carpet, I would suggest replacing the carpet which is fairly simple to do.

I bought my carpet from LMR, took about 30 mins to install (after everything is out), I let my new carpet sit in the sun for a couple of hours to make it more user friendly. Then just lay the old one over the new one to cut all the holes out for the bolts and such.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I received the manual yesterday and it was great. so you are right it is great to have. It shows how to yank out the rear seats, and where the pump is so I will attack that. As for the carpet I am probably going to replace it but not right now. I need to put a few miles on to the car before I spend much $ on it. I had a '73 Dodge Dart and a '67 Cuda Notchback and they both ended up becoming ongoing restomod's. My wife kept saying I needed to get them back together. So this one needs to be driven a bit before I sink too much into it...at least 100 miles

I had to replace my carpet, it was giving me asthma fits as well. I might pull up the carpet again next spring and lay in some Dyno-mat if funds allow.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I have an 84 LX convertible. I had the top, headliner and well liner replaced this past summer.

It does not close tightly or evenly on driver and passenger side. Seems the passenger side closes tight but the driver side leaves a gap wide enough to slide a credit card through along the front windshield. I just noticed today that if I get my line of sight lower, near the steering wheel looking up I can clearly see daylight coming through along the weather stripping. It leaks everytime it rains

Im probably gonna have to go back to AutoMat but Id like to know the reason the driver side don't crush the rubber seal like its supposed to.
    Is the canvas too tight or is there adjustments on linkage?

How should I argue this when I take it back?

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I have an 84 LX convertible. I had the top, headliner and well liner replaced this past summer.

It does not close tightly or evenly on driver and passenger side. Seems the passenger side closes tight but the driver side leaves a gap wide enough to slide a credit card through along the front windshield. I just noticed today that if I get my line of sight lower, near the steering wheel looking up I can clearly see daylight coming through along the weather stripping. It leaks everytime it rains

Im probably gonna have to go back to AutoMat but Id like to know the reason the driver side don't crush the rubber seal like its supposed to.
    Is the canvas too tight or is there adjustments on linkage?

How should I argue this when I take it back?
    My top is tight also...but it snugs down with some effort. It indeed sounds like the top is too tight on the drivers side. However, it may be as simple as the retaining hook needing adjustment on the latching mechanism. Relative to how to argue this with the installer...one side does not shut properly and leaks, plain and simple. Was there a new top windshield header weather stripping installed?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    My top is tight also...but it snugs down with some effort. It indeed sounds like the top is too tight on the drivers side. However, it may be as simple as the retaining hook needing adjustment on the latching mechanism. Relative to how to argue this with the installer...one side does not shut properly and leaks, plain and simple. Was there a new top windshield header weather stripping installed?
    I agree, I would take it to the shop that did the work and just tell them the top does not lock down properly. Could be the hook/latch, could be the cable, weather striping. Or simply the hook needs to be adjusted. Hopefully the shop gave you a year warranty on labor.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I agree, broken line or failed hydraulic cylinder. That manual you bought will help you greatly with this problem. As far as the mold in the carpet, I would suggest replacing the carpet which is fairly simple to do.

I bought my carpet from LMR, took about 30 mins to install (after everything is out), I let my new carpet sit in the sun for a couple of hours to make it more user friendly. Then just lay the old one over the new one to cut all the holes out for the bolts and such.

I bought an $30.00 "O" ring kit form convertibletopguys.com and rebuilt my pump myself. The hardest part was reinstalling the motor brushes back into place during reassembly. Bent large paperclips to hold them in place during installation. A whole lot cheaper than a $150.00 + pump.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    AutoMat is gonna check it out tomorrow. They are a huge company and they do cars for rich and famous so Im sure they will correct it. I did not change any weather stripping but Im sure that's not the problem. If the driver side clamped down another 1/8 inch it would smoosh the weather stipping tight

Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Regards
    Gary

Hey Gary, where are you located? I've got a brand new windscreen to suit a convertible that I can't use. It's in my shed in Melbourne. Cheers, Terry
    aka Terry M Walsh
    Downunder in Melbourne, Australia

1981 Mercury Capri, 'White' Black Magic, 200-2V/C4
    1983 Ford Capri, 2.8i, 5-spd

Keep us posted on how it goes.
    I agree.

--Bill

Hi guys
    Thanks for starting this thread. Sorry for not responding sooner.

I admire you guys for taking on changing out your tops by yourself. I would not dare to do that. I am on my second top. My original top was slashed by someone trying to steal my car back in 1993. I have the original glass curtain to go in when I change it the next time. I was talking with a body guy and he said that todays knowledge will allow them to fix where the material is coming away from the glass and reuse the original glass with a new top. Of course it will need to be dyed.

I feel fortunate that I live in a place where the top goes down in the winter and stays up in the summer. I never was a big fan of our cars with the tops up. Never thought that they got the side view correct. However, they look awesome with the top down and boot on.

Here is a recent shot of my carName:  cars (3).JPG
Views: 242
Size:  241.3 KB

John

I agree with you John, i think that the Foxes look much better with the top down - although that's probably true of all the convertibles of the boxy 80's - or all convertibles ... period!
    Regards
    Gary

And G'day Terry. I sent you a PM mate!
    Here from ya when you have time, thanks
    Gary
    Regards
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by 85FLGTCONVT View Post
    Hi guys

Here is a recent shot of my carName:  cars (3).JPG
Views: 242
Size:  241.3 KB

John
    Oh yeah!!!!! Sweet Pony!

FYI....mine has a flat....! Thinking it's the valve core, need to change and add air, see what happens. But it's snowing right now.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Snowing over there - lol - we had 104 yesterday!!!
    Regards
    Gary

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast