Close

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thanks to you blokes I now know what i should be doing to put the boot on - thanks heaps you are champs! This is such a great thread!!
    Many thanks - can't wait to try it this weekend!
    Regards
    Gary

If you want, try installing the boot the exact opposite way from the manual. I've been doing it that way for 28 years and find that it's easier for me to line up the pads on the corner of the boot and I'm not feeling like I'm stretching the material to quickly.

Start with tucking in the snap piece, then the rear snap working forward each side, around the outer perimeter, and finally the seat back area.

Thanks for that tip jeff85. Happy to try both ways.

Thing is that i only have had this car a short while. There are very few foxes here in Australia.

When I bought it off Ebay it didn't show pics of the car with the top in the lowered position.
    As soon as the car arrived I tried lowering and raising the top and it worked fine.
    It had a beautiful burgundy boot (or do they call them dust covers?) in the trunk but I was disappointed that it looked too small.
    I am hoping that I didn't fold the soft top properly and I definately didn't stretch the boot to try to fit it.

The info in this thread will give me a better chance to see if the boot will work as it should look super if it does.

Thanks again!
    Regards
    Gary

Default Yeaah! It fits!

Thanks to all of you blokes for your advice.

I tried my boot on again this weekend BUT - I folded the top the way this thread instructed and - Hey Presto - it fits perfect.
    I was desperately disappointed before because I thought that I wouldn't be able to use the boot and i think they look much better with the boot in place.
    So the buffing of the paint and the top in place and a bit of cleaning inside - now she's looking a million dollars!

Thanks again everyone!
    Regards
    Gary

Good to hear!! I agree they look so much better with the boot on!! Have to post some pics in the convertible pic section now!!

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie4eyed View Post
    Thanks to all of you blokes for your advice.

I tried my boot on again this weekend BUT - I folded the top the way this thread instructed and - Hey Presto - it fits perfect.
    I was desperately disappointed before because I thought that I wouldn't be able to use the boot and i think they look much better with the boot in place.
    So the buffing of the paint and the top in place and a bit of cleaning inside - now she's looking a million dollars!

Thanks again everyone!
    Great stuff!!!! WOO HOO!

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Default Here's a couple of pics of the boot

Sorry - didn't think to post a pic last night - here goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Regards
    Gary

Also, yes the trunk rack is missing - I took it off to repaint it and I'll then put it on.
    Regards
    Gary

Looks very nice. I even like the added pony in the grill.
    Too bad you have to put the trunk rack back on. That has to be the most worthless rack ever installed on a car. The trunk also looks so much cleaner without it.

Aussie--Looks sharp!! I removed my trunk rack and filled the holes. Think it gives it a cleaner look but can respect it with the rack on too.
    On a different , I got my top service manual today What a cool must have for any convertible owner!!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

She looks very nice Gary!!!! And oh yeah, the boot makes all the difference in the world.

I put my rack back on my vert.....bought the rivet set from LMR. I repainted all the pieces with trim paint first.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Webestang, looks very good!

--Bill

Yes Scotty it does look very nice, you've done a great job.

I need to get that manual from CJ next, and I need to track down the DVD. Where did the DVD come from please?
    Regards
    Gary

Ordered the manual tonight and got some other little things too.
    Thanks for all the advice - great thread.

Oh and a PS:
    Finally found a seller with the set of FSM who will ship to here at a reasonable cost - bought those to!
    Regards
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by boboli View Post
    Looks very nice. I even like the added pony in the grill.
    Yep, I added the grille pony as I can't for the life of me work out how Ford's marketing department can produce a Mustang in any year without the pony?????
    Regards
    Gary

Yes Scotty it does look very nice, you've done a great job.

I need to get that manual from CJ next, and I need to track down the DVD. Where did the DVD come from please?
    Bought mine from LMR..... http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...stallation-Dvd

Had labor quotes from $450 to $700, with my materials and up to $1200-$1500 with theirs. Most places would not do the labor because they will not warranty their work with my materials (I bought a new in box, top, pads, well liner and glass window for $250). So I figured with the DVD, other gathered notes I could and did it by myself.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Thanks for the link Scotty.

That was a really good price for the top kit wasn't it? I haven't seen anything at that price.
    I was looking at Convertible Top Guys and thinking of buying one from them.

Would you mind mentioning the name of your vendor please? And more importantly are you happy with the fit and quality?

Thanks for any advice.
    Regards
    Regards
    Gary

Also I didn't realise that there was a convertible photo thread in a separate forum - duh!

Just found it tonight and added pics. - another great thread!
    Regards
    Gary

I have been looking at this kit comes with install DVD and there seem to be a lot of good reviews on the fit and quality on other sites.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=191347052584

--Bill

Thanks for the link Scotty.

That was a really good price for the top kit wasn't it? I haven't seen anything at that price.
    I was looking at Convertible Top Guys and thinking of buying one from them.

Would you mind mentioning the name of your vendor please? And more importantly are you happy with the fit and quality?

Thanks for any advice.
    Regards
    I got very lucky and bought my kit from a guy local that sold his vert before he had a chance to replace his top. I ask why he did not sell the kit with the car and he said the guy who bought his vert didn't want/need it.
    He bought it from CJ Pony Parts. I'm very happy with the quality.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Thanks Scotty I'll look at CJ's.

Also thank you for the link magnum517, I'll check that as well.

Big issue for me is the shipping to Australia. Shipping has sky rocketed over the last few years.
    Regards
    Gary

Aussie: Late Model Resto has a nice kit also and I have seen it on a friends car and it looks good. Think it's same kit as CJ pony parts but not sure. I have a friend who lives in Norway and he likes to buy from them because he said they seem to be reasonable on their shipping charges. He is in similar situation with skyrocketing shipping costs.

--Bill

Great tip thanks - I'll check out LMR as well as CJ's.
    Regards
    Gary

Come on you blokes, we need more talk about ragtops - let's keep this here thread alive!!!!
    Regards
    Gary

Well I haven't done anything TO my vert lately but I'd did have it out with top down this past week . Still collecting parts to do the windows seals and guides this winter. Along with a few other mods and a new heater core. Sunday morning ride was brisk w top down AND no heat. Haha.

--Bill

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast