Close

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Gday everybody!
    I have an '85 'vert in Australia.
    Haven't been on this site for a long time, but just wondering if someone can help me with this question please:

I know that SEM had a spray paint can to match the charcoal outside trim. Does anyone here know the part number or colour code for the SEM spray can please?
    SEM wasn't available here years ago but I came across some at a local Auto paints store so just need to get the correct charcoal colour.

I have only one trim piece to touch up.
    TIA
    Gary
    Regards
    Gary

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

I have used 39153 on both my Capri & Turbo Coupe
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Thank you Scotty, that's what i was after.
    Regards
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    First, take a look at the rear window. If it is pulling away from the glass or the seams pulling apart at the bottom, your top has shrunk and its days are limited. It will take pretty much 2 people to latch a shrunken top. You can get by for a while by latching it at temps above 70 deg.
    I went back to the garage today to attempt to adjust the top and still have no improvement.

Im going to have to watch a video or something for this because i cannot get the top to lay flat onto the windows, prying and adjusting got me nowhere.
    Only the drivers quarter window is slightly above the door window but the only contact the top has with the quarter windows at all is at the very bottom of the window.
    I dont think the top is shrunk on it.

^^^...GTTurboVert, it's been awhile, but by that top not laying down on the windshield with the back quarter windows rolled down, along with the back part of the top being relaxed/wrinkled says there is a restriction. It could be a shrunk top but I think it might be something else...like the tension cables possibly. I keep the top on my vert latched down in the closed position with the windows rolled up when it sits in the garage to keep it from shrinking. Is there any reason your top may have shrunk?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    ^^^...GTTurboVert, it's been awhile, but by that top not laying down on the windshield with the back quarter windows rolled down, along with the back part of the top being relaxed/wrinkled says there is a restriction. It could be a shrunk top but I think it might be something else...like the tension cables possibly. I keep the top on my vert latched down in the closed position with the windows rolled up when it sits in the garage to keep it from shrinking. Is there any reason your top may have shrunk?
    The car originally came from michigan area so its not impossible it sat out in the cold with snow on it a few times.
    My 84 v6 vert aerobortion was a legit winter beater with a noticably shrunk top but the top never had any issue closing or sitting flat on the windows, although we closed it manually since the motor didnt work.
    I tried to lift the top like the instructions said but it barely moved in any direction.
    I have the book now so im glossing over it to see what im doing wrong here.

Tension springs might do that. Does the pump have the proper amount of fluid or is the fluid old?

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I didnt check anything regarding the pump other than to see the condition of the hoses. No evidence of any leaks anywhere ever so i just assumed they were fine.
    It works fine regarding going up and down the pump didnt sound funny to me nor did i assume the cylinders having any issues.
    Ill check those and fluid level next time im there.
    As far as the tension spring, would that cause the front a and b pillars to have tight fabric but from the c pillar back have it loose enough to wrinkle?

It could as the cable runs along the top of window and the top is stapled on the last bow. You could undo the cable/spring and see if the top moves closer to the window frame.
    I do think your top has shrunk a bit, maybe the PO had the top down for long periods of time. When my Pop first bought my 88 the PO had the top down all the time. It did shrink and was hard to close whenever it was cold. My Pop had to let it sit in the sun a few times to latch. When I bought it from him in 2002 I replaced the top for that reason.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    It could as the cable runs along the top of window and the top is stapled on the last bow. You could undo the cable/spring and see if the top moves closer to the window frame.
    I do think your top has shrunk a bit, maybe the PO had the top down for long periods of time. When my Pop first bought my 88 the PO had the top down all the time. It did shrink and was hard to close whenever it was cold. My Pop had to let it sit in the sun a few times to latch. When I bought it from him in 2002 I replaced the top for that reason.
    Ill try that.
    Something i noticed going thru the book is the center bolt in rear set of bolts for fore/aft adjustment isnt where it shows in the pic.

Its in the upper slot.
    Both sides were like this.

Curious. Could be that these are hand built from cut the roof off notch body's and that's just the setting for that car(?). I don't think that would cause the top not to close.
    When I replace my top again (hopefully this fall/winter) I'll have to take some shots of all that stuff for reference.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

So i went back today to try some things while i was doing other things.
    The tension cable on the drivers side is apparently broken somewhere at the windshield and the passenger side one is super tight so that aint good. No point in even unscrewing them now.
    I removed the pins from the lift cylinders and losened the fore/aft bolts to see what i got, pryed as far forward as i could and still isnt going forward enough to reach the dowel pin holes, even after i took out the fore/aft bolts to get more.

The drivers side comes close if i pull it real hard but the passenger wont latch ever like this.
    Looking inside i can see the tarp pulling hard on the bows up to the 3rd bow so at this point im guessing the front part of the top has atleast shrunk.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 03-18-2023 at 09:12 PM.

Get the items broke, fixed. Then let it sit outside on a warm sunny day with the top in the position it's in as pictured above for several hours. It should relax for the most part, but you may need to make some adjustments so it functions properly as intended.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I agree, replace both tension cables and let it warm in the sun. Top looks to be in great shape otherwise.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

1986 convertible rear molding ( hockey stick) seals question
    Can I modify the 87 and up seals to fit?
    I know they are longer and holes may be different but shapes look basically the same.
    This question has probably already been asked
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 86gtvert View Post
    1986 convertible rear molding ( hockey stick) seals question
    Can I modify the 87 and up seals to fit?
    I know they are longer and holes may be different but shapes look basically the same.
    This question has probably already been asked
    Thanks
    When I went through my 85 vert about ten plus years back, the only option for that seal was the longer unit for the newer cars. Went back and forth with the supplier that they were not for the previous verts, and finally made the decision to cut/modify it to fit...been fine ever since...
    HAD

HAVE

Metal panel between the trunk and top opening, is there aftermarket or do I need to look at salvage yards.
    The panel appears to bolted on. Has anyone removed one of these?
    Thanks

I have not seen that panel aftermarket.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I did not think it was available. Mine has small dent and while I have everything taken off to paint I thought it was might be easier to just replace. I assume the screws (next to trunk lid) and the rear molding mounts are all that hold it on?

I believe so, I've never taken the one off on my 88.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

FEP Power Member

I had mine off for painting. No repros. There are 5 screws and 3 spacers plus the tonneau to hold it on. I have pictures but cant post here.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Question for the convertible owners out there, is Daniel Carpenter the only source for weather stripping?

In the 8 years I've owned my 84 vert, I have replaced the top weather stripping twice, most recently 2 summers back. No matter how I try to adjust it, there's leaks all around the convertible top. I have been to two interior shops, and the common response is "those fox's all leak, you'll never correct it".

So when these cars were fresh out of the factory, purchased off the showroom floor, they leaked? Why do I not believe that? I'll post pics I've taken to show what I mean. The front center above the rear view mirror drips water into the coin tray when it rains moderate to heavy. Last time I replaced the convertible weather stripping I also pulled the header above the windshield and shimmed it with pieces of a paint stiring stick to lift it about 1/16. I also adjusted the J hooks to pull as tight as they would allow. The two ends pull tight, but the center still allows water to drip through on rainy days.

I notice the corners of the front windows are rounded edges and it leaves a definite gap in the part where the glass should mesh with the A pillar weather stripping and the top weather stripping. Every time it rains I get a constant drip on my left knee. I put a small piece of foam in the corner and it stops the leak, but looks crappy.

Name:  20210808_145338.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  116.0 KB

Even the perimeter along the front and rear windows on both sides will drip with heavy rain. Even with brand new convertible top weather stripping I had to place 1/16 thick foam weather stripping all around the perimeter on top of the new weather stripping to seal this car up. I shouldn't need to do that.

Name:  20230916_181927-resized.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  169.1 KB

Name:  20230916_181959-resized.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  253.6 KB

Name:  20231011_143345- resized.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  188.2 KB

I sent an email to LMR and CC'd Daniel Carpenter hoping I'd get a solution. I showed them the pic with the added weather stripping and told them if their aftermarket weather strip kit was just 1/16 thicker it would solve leakage issues. So LMR said the kit was out of warranty, duh, Daniel Carpenters people said"we sell plenty of these with no complaints". And those arent acceptable answers or solutions.

I offered to pay extra if they could custom make a kit with thicker perimeter stripping and was told that's not possible.

The worst thing is the gap in the corners of the front windows. Clearly the glass edge is rounded and the intersecting pieces of weatherstripping do not form fit and leave a gap that air and water leak through.But hey, they sell plenty of these kits, I'm the only one complaining. Never mind that experienced interior shops have told me this cant be resolved. I was told that rear quarter windows could never be adjusted and I got mine 99% perfect. So there's a solution for everything.

Sorry so late but have you tried these guys? https://www.convertibletopguys.com/c...ustang#weather

I bought w-strips from them when I replaced the top on my 88 (12 years ago) and fits great no leaks plus she has sat outside with a cheap cover.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920