Close

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Very cool...and short!
    The DVD I bought was much better. They went through every single detail in the DVD.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    The DVD I bought was much better. They went through every single detail in the DVD.
    Right, I plan on buying one of those. It's basically the ultimate resource on this subject.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

This thread is a great idea. The installation of the top is a great mystery to the uniformed. That pdf was very informative. I installed a top and headliner in a vw 30 years ago. But now am to old and stiff to get in those necessary awkward positions to complete a job like this. Where do I find this thread to continue posting and learning

Ron
    Last edited by Ron 86 GT covert; 09-20-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Right, I plan on buying one of those. It's basically the ultimate resource on this subject.
    One side note to the DVD.....they are replacing a top on a newer Fox so the top is a little different for 89 and older. The DVD does state the differences, one being the way it connects to the rear bow. Also, for pad replacement you really need the Chilton manual, so I'll scan those pages and post them up.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Some photos of my replacement.......

The only thing not done here yet was the bead roll that goes on top of the rear bow. Later Foxes 90-93 do not have the outside bead roll.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

My top is in pretty good shape as it was replaced only a couple of years before I bought it. My main concern is the rear window. The original rear window curtain assembly was used and it's gotten to the point where the vinyl is starting to pull away from the bottom of the window. I saw some pics of what it takes to replace the rear window section, but I'd prefer to watch a video to make sure that all of the finer points of that process are shown. It basically involves rolling back the rear half of the top past the last bow to unstaple the old window panel and then staple in a new one. I'm not really looking forward to it, but if I feel confident enough about it, I would probably do it myself.
    Bryan

Good post Webestang with pictures! I was going to do mine myself also but I already had the car apart for paint and everything cleaned up. I decided to let a guy do it as it cost me $200!
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

More....................

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

My top is in pretty good shape as it was replaced only a couple of years before I bought it. My main concern is the rear window. The original rear window curtain assembly was used and it's gotten to the point where the vinyl is starting to pull away from the bottom of the window. I saw some pics of what it takes to replace the rear window section, but I'd prefer to watch a video to make sure that all of the finer points of that process are shown. It basically involves rolling back the rear half of the top past the last bow to unstaple the old window panel and then staple in a new one. I'm not really looking forward to it, but if I feel confident enough about it, I would probably do it myself.
    I just took my time and read over my notes from the video a 1000 times....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Good post Webestang with pictures! I was going to do mine myself also but I already had the car apart for paint and everything cleaned up. I decided to let a guy do it as it cost me $200!
    That's a great price......lowest I could find was $450, I saved my $450 for engine parts.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Thanks Scotty, great pics and lots of info.

Are those pages from the FSM? (I still haven't got one - bloody shipping to here is Australia is a killer)
    Regards
    Gary

Wow!! Awesome info and pics folks!! Keep this type of info coming!! What a huge help!!
    If I choose to do my top myself, what type of staple gun and staples should I use?

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie4eyed View Post
    Thanks Scotty, great pics and lots of info.

Are those pages from the FSM? (I still haven't got one - bloody shipping to here is Australia is a killer)
    I need a FSM.....Pages are from the Chilton manual in the photo on page one. The Haynes manual has nothing on verts.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Wow!! Awesome info and pics folks!! Keep this type of info coming!! What a huge help!!
    If I choose to do my top myself, what type of staple gun and staples should I use?

I used a air powered staple gun and aluminum (rust proof) 3/8 inch staples. For glue I used 3M spray glue.

When I got my 88 vert in 2002 this is the first thing I bought....helps greatly!
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/book-conv...BQ8aArC48P8HAQ
    Last edited by webestang; 09-21-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Thumbs up!! Thanks for the info!!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

I guess I need to look at my 1984 Ford Shop Manual set more often... I've never read that section, but after seeing the pages posted, I did look them up and read through it a bit. I've got a Clymer repair manual, which doesn't have anything covering the top, but I know I've got a Chilton manual somewhere that the seller left in the trunk when I bought it. I also have that handy Convertible top manual as well.

I still want to get the DVD as I'm a person who learns best in a visual manner. I can read about it all day long and only get so much from it, but if I am shown how to do it, I pick it right up.
    Bryan

Awesome thread.........subscribing as I too will need to change my top and really want to do it myself! As I learn from all of y'all.....thanks magnum517

Your welcome !!
    Hey folks what are your thoughts in glass rear window vs plastic rear window? My car currently has dark tinted rear glass but we litterly never have the top up when we take the car out!! So do I save the extra hundred bucks and get the vinyl beings no one will ever really see it anyway ?

--Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Your welcome !!
    Hey folks what are your thoughts in glass rear window vs plastic rear window? My car currently has dark tinted rear glass but we litterly never have the top up when we take the car out!! So do I save the extra hundred bucks and get the vinyl beings no one will ever really see it anyway ?

When you buy a kit it comes with the plastic window. BUT you have to zip the plastic window out each and every time you put the top down (glass window you leave in), plus they get yellow and crack. So I would go with the glass window. And never put the top down and leave it that way when stored, it will trap moisture and cause mold.
    Last edited by webestang; 09-26-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Ok thanks. Did not know you had to unzip the plastic window every time you put the top down. That is a game changer because with as much as I put the top down , I can see the zipper wearing out like they all do on my jackets. Haha. When I store the car, I put the top up too. So it doesn't shrink or wrinkle too badly.
    On a different note, just ordered my convertible top service manual over lunch !!

--Bill

Glass, Glass, Glass

Thanks!! Yeah going with a glass back window.

--Bill

Just an FYI on lowing the top.......always make sure the material is away from the folding mechanism. Lower the top half way down, then gently pull back the material (top and pad) away so it folds nice and neat........again, glass window stays zipped in.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Thanks for those last two pics Scotty. My top doesn't seem to fold down into a low enough "stack", so i will get it out on the weekend and try your tip.
    I've only had the car a short time, but when I tried to put the boot over the folded top the boot was too small - I'll try folding top as per the pics - thanks!
    Regards
    Gary

Yeah I do the same thing with my top when putting it down. Now with my top boot, I found when I first for the car the boot didn't want to fit. So I used top conditioner on it and then set it out in the sun for a day After it softened up I conditioned it again and it had fit nice ever since. You do have to stretch it on as it is designed to be a very snug fit. I start at the front rail right behind the back seat, hook it in there first and center it then move to the back rail and work my way to the outer edges. Then do the snaps on the inside panels last.

--Bill

Default Owner Guide 86 - lowering the top - installing dust cover

I've had the same problem with the top not folding down low enough for properly installing the boot/dust cover since I had no Owner Guide... so here it is for everybody who not already knows/has. Interesting is the statement that the material of the dust cover is designed to stretch up to 40%.

Name:  OG 1986 page 096-097.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  OG 1986 page 098-099.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  OG 1986 page 100-101.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  OG 1986 page 102-103.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  130.8 KB
    Last edited by stickshift; 10-02-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Name:  OwnerGuide 1986 page 101-1.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  OwnerGuide 1986 page 101-22.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  34.7 KB
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast