Close

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by awakened View Post
    Fellow convertible lovers. I really love the look of a clean deck lid on a fox body. When I purchased my current 86 GT it had an 85 deck lid on it. The only problem is that no luggage rack or no wing means that there is no easy third brake light location. Leaving it off is not an option for me.
    I know this post is old and you've probably already made your choice. The pic below is what I did. The standard early trunk lid with a repro McLaren 'Vert lip spoiler w/HMBL delete. Then custom recessed an after-market 16 LED light into the spoiler.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    creating the wiring wont be a problem. im just wondering if its possible to replace the glass section without needing to re do the whole top.
    The later cars - 90-93 - use a completely redesigned top frame. As a result, the top materials are not the same nor the way the top looks. I assume the rear window piece would also be different. I recently retro-fitted a 93 frame to my 86. I don't recall the new canvas top window having the defrost elements. But again, it was a low-end 93 vert so perhaps that item was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I know this post is old and you've probably already made your choice. The pic below is what I did. The standard early trunk lid with a repro McLaren 'Vert lip spoiler w/HMBL delete. Then custom recessed an after-market 16 LED light into the spoiler.
    Looks good!! And I see a jungle gym of a roll cage, I think! Makes me want to see more of this build!

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I ended up going with the following solution mentioned in an earlier post.

"Here is what the CHMSL looks like installed. I took 85stanggt's suggestion and incorporated some strong rare earth magnets into the underside of each end of the light. I ran the wire under the trim at the base of the convertible top and under the hinge cover. The wire is a small gauge so it fits under the trim easily. The light stays firmly in place but I could pull it off and drop it on the trunk in about 10 seconds. It would probably only take about 2-3 minutes to put it back and re-hide the wire. This will come in handy for washing/waxing and for future shows. Overall I'm very pleased with the results and the best part is I have not made any permanent changes. Total cost with the light and materials is ~$75. When you get up close and look from the top you can see about 3mm of wire where it runs from the light to the trim. This is an acceptable trade off for the light being removable."

There is a little hollow (mostly) space on each end of the light housing under the gasket. I cut back a post in that space used as the screw channel and used epoxy to place the magnets. I cut out clearance holes in the gasket to get the magnets as close as possible to the metal body panel. The magnets appear black in the one picture because I am using small black balloons over them for extra insurance that they don't scratch the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Looks good!! And I see a jungle gym of a roll cage, I think! Makes me want to see more of this build!
    I have a thread in the General Tech forum. The RB is a custom 4-point; removable.

So I was trying to find the source of air leaks in my convertible I pulled the top rail off and found the factory insulation petrified and crumbling. I bought some foam at Home depot and stuffed it in under the top rail.

It slowed the leak about 90% but it still leaks because the foam I got is compressible but it lets air pass through.

I will probably have to pull it apart again but im on the right track. What can I put under the top rail that the convertible top weather stripping mushes into?

Heres a pic

Attachment 95719

So I was trying to find the source of air leaks in my convertible I pulled the top rail off and found the factory insulation petrified and crumbling. I bought some foam at Home depot and stuffed it in under the top rail.

It slowed the leak about 90% but it still leaks because the foam I got is compressible but it lets air pass through.

I will probably have to pull it apart again but im on the right track. What can I put under the top rail that the convertible top weather stripping mushes into?

Heres a pic

Attachment 95719
    I answered this question in the other post you started here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...40#post1777440
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I answered this question in the other post you started here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...40#post1777440
    Something like this?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4872379&rt=rud

Im not visualizing. this is flat tape, that cavity is at least 1 1/2 inch deep. There should be something to fill up that space?

Something like this?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4872379&rt=rud

Im not visualizing. this is flat tape, that cavity is at least 1 1/2 inch deep. There should be something to fill up that space?

Yes, I had to get mine at a local RV place given the hardware stores don't seem to carry it anymore. The caulk tape is typically 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick, so I just built it up with layers. I would rather utilize the caulk tape than foam given water issues...though my Stang only gets a sponge bath...
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Hey guys, recently got an '85 GT vert, and have had the top replaced for $730 (and that was with the guy building me top pads himself), and replaced the suspension with the Eibach Pro Kit. It needs a lot so I'm wondering what to do next. But something I want to look at is my windows. My drivers side window comes out like 1/2" from the top/weatherstripping. I'll post a pic of it ASAP. My passenger side doesn't like to roll up, I have to pull it while I'm rolling it up. Also the inner wipers (not sure what they're called) on the inside of the doors are all cracked and jagged and really look tacky. I don't know if they're available individually or part of the door panels or what.

Thanks guys, this thread is awesome.

Stetsyn Jennings

Hey. Nice vert! Welcome. Read your other posts and am guessing you are using the car as a daily driver and I would recommend tires before anything followed by sub frame connectors-weld in. All foxes can use 'em but verts really need em-tho some here disagree. I would pull front seats and carpet and check for cracks in the floorpan around the seat mounting points. This is good preventative stuff-tho' not glamorous...

Yeah, I am actually getting some sub frame connectors welded on in the next few weeks! It's about to get an engine rebuild courtesy of my uncle (knowing him it's going to come back with more power) so when I get it back that was the first thing I was gonna do, and then go tire shopping so I can get it aligned. I've checked out under the carpet in spots for mold/rust and didn't see any but I was definitely going to replace the carpet in the next couple of months as well, I think the previous owner put in house carpet?!? So, I'm gonna get her together. She's definitely a daily driver for now, until I graduate university. But I want to restore/improve her to the best of my ability.

Time is the biggest factor because I have school throughout the morning and work until midnight m-f. And girlfriend/homework/car/guitar on the weekend haha.

But it'll get there. Thank you!

Stetsyn Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by stetsyn1 View Post
    Yeah, I am actually getting some sub frame connectors welded on in the next few weeks! It's about to get an engine rebuild courtesy of my uncle (knowing him it's going to come back with more power) so when I get it back that was the first thing I was gonna do, and then go tire shopping so I can get it aligned. I've checked out under the carpet in spots for mold/rust and didn't see any but I was definitely going to replace the carpet in the next couple of months as well, I think the previous owner put in house carpet?!? So, I'm gonna get her together. She's definitely a daily driver for now, until I graduate university. But I want to restore/improve her to the best of my ability.

Time is the biggest factor because I have school throughout the morning and work until midnight m-f. And girlfriend/homework/car/guitar on the weekend haha.

But it'll get there. Thank you!

Stetsyn Jennings
    Sounds like priority is amiss. country, Car, family first, lol just kidding, stay busy and STAY focused on school!
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Sweet vert! Love that color!
    You might want to look at getting the convertible manual from CJ Pony or LMR. It will show you how to do many things yourself like fixed your window alignment issues. Should be a link on page 1 or 2.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

New User

I've got a question about a oil leak around the rear end of my 84 vert. I thought it was the pinion seal and replaced it but still leaking. It kinda looks like hydraulic fluid and was wondering if my top has a hydraulic reservoir for the top or are they just electric. And if so ho do I get to it?

Quote Originally Posted by 21modelt View Post
    I've got a question about a oil leak around the rear end of my 84 vert. I thought it was the pinion seal and replaced it but still leaking. It kinda looks like hydraulic fluid and was wondering if my top has a hydraulic reservoir for the top or are they just electric. And if so ho do I get to it?
    all the components are inside the trunk just under the vinyl well. Lift it up and look to see if theres fluid leaking

The lines get brittle and break. if the fluid is red that is the usual culprit
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

all the components are inside the trunk just under the vinyl well. Lift it up and look to see if theres fluid leaking
    Removing the back seat will get you better access to the pump and lines.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by 21modelt View Post
    Does the top still go up and down?
    HAD

HAVE

South Eastern Pa. Bringing up the rear of The rat race...

hello! Just a bit of an update, I picked up my replacement top from Fox resto.com (or something like that) it is a KEE top I believe. It included evrtything, glass window, top, pads. For $399.00 on sale. I am going to be attempting this shortly as I get time. At this point a new top would really do the car some justice, it is a '86 GT with the white leather interior and red carpet /dash, White exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Eyed Fox View Post
    hello! Just a bit of an update, I picked up my replacement top from Fox resto.com (or something like that) it is a KEE top I believe. It included evrtything, glass window, top, pads. For $399.00 on sale. I am going to be attempting this shortly as I get time. At this point a new top would really do the car some justice, it is a '86 GT with the white leather interior and red carpet /dash, White exterior.
    Your vert sounds sweet!

Changing the top yourself can be challenging but with the help of the replacing top DVD, what I could find in books/online and LOTS of patience I think mine turned out well.
    And of course we are going to want many photos!

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

New User

Hello all...I have an 85 vert that's pretty rough interior and top. I got a hold of a nice top frame off an 83. Will it fit my 85?

Should be as far as I'm aware. I'm definitely no expert though.

Stetsyn Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Ram621 View Post
    Hello all...I have an 85 vert that's pretty rough interior and top. I got a hold of a nice top frame off an 83. Will it fit my 85?
    Should fit fine.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Four Eyed Fox View Post
    Keep us posted, need to do this to mine too! Post some pics too. Love to see your vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram621 View Post
    I believe it will. I believe 83-89 are the same.
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast