http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...th-Voting-Poll
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Okay vert friends...I need some help!

I was the first vote out of the gate.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Okay vert friends...I need some help!

Got ya covered!!

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Yepper.....

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Thank you guys...some tough competition, and us few vert guys should stick together!
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thank you guys...some tough competition, and us few vert guys should stick together!
    You got it! And to be honest this month was tough vote for me, I know everyone who got nominated!! And I have a crazy soft spot for black Saleens and The shoe box Fairmont especially when it is stuffed full of mod motor., and of course my absolute love for Verts!!You made it easy by being the first one to ask for my vote ! So you got the vote! Good luck!!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

In. Tho it was dang tough...

How much trouble would it be to change the rear glass on a vert without changing the top?

My top was changed last summer. I regret no spending a few dollars more and getting defrost rear glass.

Anybody done this?

from my understanding ..when i had to replace the top on my gt350 my rear glass was fine including the bottom piece ..from what the installer told me its that piece and the glass it attaches to are the 1st thing they do when replacing the top .. so my guess is your going to have to re and re the top ..unless someone else chimes in. im not sure rear defrost glass was available in the fox vert s

dave
    the movie twister..i lived it big cabin oklahoma summer of '73

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXnM5-B1T4
    current cars
    1984 gt 350 vert. second owner
    1986 lx 5.0 hatchback gone but not forgotten

Basically, to replace the rear glass section, you have to illiberal with the rear section of the top itself. Once you get everything involved and installed for the rear window, you just fold the top forward of the rear top bow and then replace the rear window section in reverse.

Check this article out for some helpful tips:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...nvertible-top/
    Bryan

I just think that verts don't do well in the polls, especially with an auto trans, and stock CFI.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...mber+car+month
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I just think that verts don't do well in the polls, especially with an auto trans, and stock CFI.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...mber+car+month
    I hear ya...and very nice verts btw! I kind of rekoned that, and might think about declining a nomination if it happens again.
    HAD

HAVE

I hear ya...and very nice verts btw! I kind of rekoned that, and might think about declining a nomination if it happens again.
    I would not have changed my nomination for a moment. Also my vote was with your vert and while not a win, your car fared quite well against the competition. Maybe they should have a vert only month that way the cards are stacked evenly.

While I do not have a vert in the stable anymore, I still have a soft spot for them and follow along with the vert related issues as I plan to have one again.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    How much trouble would it be to change the rear glass on a vert without changing the top?

My top was changed last summer. I regret no spending a few dollars more and getting defrost rear glass.

Anybody done this?
    I would leave it as is, would be a real pain to change now.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I would not have changed my nomination for a moment. Also my vote was with your vert and while not a win, your car fared quite well against the competition. Maybe they should have a vert only month that way the cards are stacked evenly.

While I do not have a vert in the stable anymore, I still have a soft spot for them and follow along with the vert related issues as I plan to have one again.
    Brock, I understand and Thank You! When I went through the car 4-5 years ago I put it back so that it would be around another 25+ years...and we all know how that ends up with this hobby...we go over board! I don't put it in competitive car shows for that reason...I do show it, but just for fun. I would like to see it put in a calender or something one day but just happy with it being a relaxing date tool for my wife and I...
    HAD

HAVE

Anybody done this?
    I just had my top replaced for the second time during ownership. FWIW, the vinyl shrinks over time. I'm surprised the installer was able to use your original glass and surround. Nonetheless, on my 86 the glass unzips from the top (can't recall if it comes all the way out or just allows the glass to lay flat for loading surfboards or ladders). Might take a look to see if that is a way to replace the glass.

In any event, AFAIK these older verts didn't have defrost rear windows as an option. Not only would you need to get special order glass, but you'd have to run a harness (relays, etc.) and replace the in-dash controls with a unit with the defrost function (or put a universal switch somewhere). I thought about this as I prepared to have my top replaced, but decided against that in favor of canvas material. As you know, replacement can be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I just had my top replaced for the second time during ownership. FWIW, the vinyl shrinks over time. I'm surprised the installer was able to use your original glass and surround. Nonetheless, on my 86 the glass unzips from the top (can't recall if it comes all the way out or just allows the glass to lay flat for loading surfboards or ladders). Might take a look to see if that is a way to replace the glass.

In any event, AFAIK these older verts didn't have defrost rear windows as an option. Not only would you need to get special order glass, but you'd have to run a harness (relays, etc.) and replace the in-dash controls with a unit with the defrost function (or put a universal switch somewhere). I thought about this as I prepared to have my top replaced, but decided against that in favor of canvas material. As you know, replacement can be expensive.
    when I replaced my top last summer I did get brand new glass and was told the old glass wasn't reusable.

I am sure I can have a piece of glass custom made with rear defrost elements embedded and run the wiring and relay to the fusebox and install a universal switch under the dash.

Many years ago I had a 67 Camaro that had no rear defrost. At that time I bought an after market rear defrost kit that were glued onto the rear window and cured with a heat gun. It worked like a charm but didn't look stock. With this car I was hoping if I could get a piece of glass made for defrost then it would be easy to hide the wires and even the switch making it look almost stock.

My rear window does have a zipper and I thing it will flap but not remove completely.

Rear windows do unzip but they stay attached at the body. So they just fold down. Technically you are supposed to unzip them and fold them down before putting the top down. Especially if you have a glass back window. Supposed to relieve the stress on the top. Nobody ever does as the zippers tend to jam and rip way too easy. As for rear defrost. I have a customer with an all original 92 vert that has rear defrost. You could probably get that glass to work with our cars. May take some creativity but should be doable.

--Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Rear windows do unzip but they stay attached at the body. So they just fold down. Technically you are supposed to unzip them and fold them down before putting the top down. Especially if you have a glass back window. Supposed to relieve the stress on the top. Nobody ever does as the zippers tend to jam and rip way too easy. As for rear defrost. I have a customer with an all original 92 vert that has rear defrost. You could probably get that glass to work with our cars. May take some creativity but should be doable.

creating the wiring wont be a problem. im just wondering if its possible to replace the glass section without needing to re do the whole top.

creating the wiring wont be a problem. im just wondering if its possible to replace the glass section without needing to re do the whole top.
    You would have to take all the trim off that holds the top to the body. So technically you will be disturbing the whole top. You won't have to remove the whole top but you will have to loosen where it is mounted to the body which would make reinstalling that side very difficult beings you would to restretch the top from the wrong end. I honestly wouldn't advise it but I am not an upholsterer either.

--Bill

Here is what the window looks like unbolted and unzipped.......

So you could just replace that part but you need to un-attach the top at the rear bow to replace the entire window curtain and stretch the material properly.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

The convertible book says the window is to be left up, if it is glass, when the top is lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron 86 GT covert View Post
    The convertible book says the window is to be left up, if it is glass, when the top is lowered.
    Yup...I was going to say the same thing.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Just an FYI on lowing the top.......always make sure the material is away from the folding mechanism. Lower the top half way down, then gently pull back the material (top and pad) away so it folds nice and neat........again, glass window stays zipped in.

Yes, glass window stays zipped in the plastic window is the one that gets zipped out.....also make sure the material is away from the folding mechanism.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron 86 GT covert View Post
    Sorry guys got that mixed up. I honestly have never unzipped either style. It is the plastic that they say to unzip not the glass.

--Bill

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast