Close

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Here is how the 91 trunk side and front panels look that I installed in my 84 vert. I could not get the back panel to fit. All of the mounting holes don't match up. so you need to drill some small holes in some of the areas and use self tapping screws to secure them. It does make a big difference in the overall appearance of the trunk. If you install these, try to find the matching carpet as well.

Name:  P1040894.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  146.6 KB
    Name:  P1040895.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  160.5 KB
    Name:  P1040896.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  159.6 KB
    Name:  P1040893.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  112.6 KB
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

That looks great Rick!

Here is a photo of mine when I installed the new weather strip. Same as the later models. I wonder when Ford changed the back panel design?

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    That looks great Rick!

Here is a photo of mine when I installed the new weather strip. Same as the later models. I wonder when Ford changed the back panel design?

can you take a few close up pics showing the placement of the fasteners?

That looks great Rick!

That looks great Rick!

I've been wanting to do this to my trunk as well. The trunk has a more finished look and I'm sure that it insulates the passenger area from road noise reverb from the trunk.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I'll take some better photos tomorrow, it's raining today.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    Most of the holes for plastic pins don't line up with the 84 trunk. You have to drill some holes for pins, or use self tapping screws to secure in some of the corners. That at least was my experience in installing this.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Here is the mounting points for back cover. No clips so I used srcews.

Drivers side

Pass side

Sides have just one next to hinge

Taillight panel has 2 each side of latch

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Well at least most of the links still work lol

FEP Power Member

The 92 well cover is lightly different. It no longer uses the clips. It uses push pins that mount vertically. It would seem the extended the panel to the next surface.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by G88 View Post
    Not sure why the prior post did not attached, so it makes sense why I added an image...but here is an image of a new clip to secure the trunk covering ...Found this clip down in the trunk quarter panel well.
    That is definitely the correct clip that came with the car originally. I have been looking for one. Somehow one of mine has gone missing.
    1985 Mustang GT convertible triple white
    Stock survivor

I have a general question for vert owners. I have an 84 LX vert. I replaced the ragtop as soon as the car became mine. I always felt that the opening for the rear glass was too small. I see other Foxbody verts the rear has at least 20% more glass all around than mine.

Since the rear portion is zippered in,. allowing for removal. Is it possible to have the rear reworked to accommodate larger glass or just allow for more glass to be showing? Also, could I get glass from a later model fox that has heated rear glass and have mine swapped for a rear defogger ready sheet of glass?

I actually picked up an HVAC from a 87 hatchback and all original wiring and retro fit mine to look like it was always stock rear defog. The only thing is that I had to install an aftermarket grid with a heat gun. It works but looks not to clean. I was contemplating scraping it off with a razor and doing it again more carefully this time. But if I could get stock rear defog glass I can jack my positive and negative wires into, that would be better. but only if my rear ragtop can be reworked without pulling the whole top off.

I thought all the glass was the same size?
    My replacement was from LMR..... https://lmr.com/products/83-93-Musta...ible-Tops#5126

Not sure about a rear glass defogger......? I've never seen one on a Fox vert.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

my 84 has no wiring but has the notch in the trim panel for the wire to come through
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Any one had any luck at rebuilding map pockets 84 vert. I am working on mine will give a update as I go.
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Where are all the vert guys ? there has to be more than just graphicdesigner80 him and I are on "speed dial" lets hear from more
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Quote Originally Posted by mongusta View Post
    Any one had any luck at rebuilding map pockets 84 vert. I am working on mine will give a update as I go.
    There are three ways to cure sagging map pockets... 1. Buy new ones 2. Stretch the elastic until the map pocket is snug against the door panel and then secure the stretched elastic at each end. 3. Replace the elastic

When you say rebuilding, what problem are you trying to fix?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

When I went through my 85 vert 10 years ago, I either re-stretched the elastic or installed new elastic...can't remember, but they are still doing good.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

new backer boards for the map pockets
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

new backer boards for the map pockets
    How’d they turn out?
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Have not had a chance to finish them yet. After things slow down here I will get back to them.
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Two things,
    First;
    My 84 vert has been leaking along the front weatherstrip for awhile. It leaks air when driving and water when raining. I had it worked on by an auto interior shop 3 summers back and they fixed the leaks but they returned. I noticed a few things looking over the front windshield rail and its mating weather striping. The front weatherstrip has ridges and the inner and outter are the deepest ridges. That means water and air are getting past them. Also, The front windshield rail has a capping thats held in by one screw. Seems should be a counter sunk screw with a flat head. Mine is a regular screw with round head. Last summer I could not get it free and I may have to drill it out now. Also, the mating weatherstrip had a dent where the screw it mushing it. That cant be helping at all.

Name:  screw head.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  339.8 KB

Name:  dented weatherstrip.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  109.3 KB

The latches were adjusted last time to grip perfectly with little pressure needed. Prior to their adjustment, it took me and my son both, to push down on the top to get the latches to grab. I dont know if they can take a tighter adjustment. I was thinking of pulling up the capping and seeing if I can shim it up underneath to make it sit taller and mush harder into the weather strip. That of course, after finding a correct counter sunk screw.

Second;
    Can we petition the admins to make this Vert topic a separate category? Or at least make it a pinned topic in the Body section so we can find it easier?
    Last edited by fgross2006; 05-29-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Looks like the wrong screw for sure. My 88 has a flat head screw holding the 2 pieces on.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Nice years later and I can use this guide now. Thanks

Looks like the wrong screw for sure. My 88 has a flat head screw holding the 2 pieces on.
    I played with this yesterday. Since I have no clue as the exact screw Ford installed way back when, the best I could do was to go to Ace hardware and find a stainless steel countersunk flat head screw. The head was still a bit bigger than I wanted so I tried to skim the surface on a stone wheel as much as I could without eliminating the slots for the Philips screw driver to grip.

I lifted the two ends but was unable to remove them from the frame completely. It seems there are blind screws holding them both on, on either side, which is covered by the A frame brackets holding the A pillar weather stripping in place. I recall those being an absolute nightmare to re-install and line up once removed so I opted to just tilt the top rail frames up to get clearance.

I had to drill the old screw head off, then heat the area around the screw with a torch to be able to remove the old screw with vice grips. I used thick window type air conditioner weather stripping to stuff under the top rails to fill the gap. I also cut a small shim about 1/16 thick and placed it between the frame an the top rail to cause it to sit 1/16 higher. Hoping to create a tighter squeeze on the front rail weather-strip. I also adjusted the 2 J hooks and be as tight as they go to pull the convertible top down as much as possible.

I then took a small ball of butyl and rolled between my fingers to make a worm and rolled around the underside of the countersunk screw head. After screwing the frame rail back down and seeing excess squish out all around, I smeared the excess around the edges of the screw head to stop water from dripping down the screw, which is where I suspected the water intrusion was taking place. I also smeared some butyl over the edge where one side of the frame rail overlaps the other. I hate that Ford didn't make the rail one piece that is form fit. Lapping one end other the other creates a step and water finds a way to seep past the lower step I think.

After all that I pointed a garden hose at the front of the convertible for about 10 minutes. Although it didn't create dripping condition I could see moisture building up along the edge of the rubber front rail weather strip. When I lifted it a small bit with my finger, more water started to pass though. Still not enough to drip, but on a rainy day I'm sure it will drip again.

So, I can try to shim the front rail again up to 1/8 but somehow I think that's not quite right. So I'm thinking of now replacing the entire weather stripping set up for the top. Although it is slightly worn, it doesn't look terrible, but this is what I'm dealing with when this Daniel Carpenter kit has been in the car since 2015 and I feel it should not be weakening at this stage, maybe starting over with a new kit is best. Is anyone aware of any other company making quality weather stripping for Fox verts other and Daniel Carpenter? Frankly I'm sick of their cheap crap. They use cheap rubber and plastic on all their repro parts.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast