Close

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Yeah I would say plastic man. Especially if it won't be in the UV very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My zipper has been fine btw for well over a year and I try to put the top down as much as possible.

Thank you all for the input!! I greatly appreciate it very much!! Hoping to maybe buy the new top kit soon. Then maybe get it installed over the summer.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Question for the vert guys. I have an 84 LX vert I replaced the top 2 summers ago.

Im sorry that I didn't ask at the time for rear defrost glass be installed at the time. now I'm wondering if I can mod the set up by replacing the rear glass with rear defrost glass and replace the heater HVAC panel with one that has defrost function. Wire it up from rear to dash and tap into a live wire in the dash.

Anyone done something lime this before? I tried searching online and I cant find rear glass defroster ready for any Fox let alone an 84.

EDIT- accidental double post.

I think some of the newer fox verts had rear defrost. Thinking 90 up. Know the tops are different so know you can't just swap the back window into an older top. I remember reading somewhere on one of the sites that someone did swap a newer top and frame onto their older fox Vert and used rear defrost. That's the only one I remember seeing done though.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Question for fellow convertible owners.

I had my vert at the interior shop 2 weeks back to adjust my top due to air leaks. I was told theres supposed to be internal springs that keep tension on the J hooks to keep them pointed towards the latch slot. Mine just hang loose.

That's the second time Im being told the J hooks should have spring tension. First was the upholsterer that installed the top 2 summers ago.

I found these replacement springs on LMR
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8393E3/must...on-spring-8393

has anyone installed these and got the result I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    Question for fellow convertible owners.

I had my vert at the interior shop 2 weeks back to adjust my top due to air leaks. I was told theres supposed to be internal springs that keep tension on the J hooks to keep them pointed towards the latch slot. Mine just hang loose.

That's the second time Im being told the J hooks should have spring tension. First was the upholsterer that installed the top 2 summers ago.

I found these replacement springs on LMR
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8393E3/must...on-spring-8393

has anyone installed these and got the result I'm looking for?
    This photo of the top latch assembly should help:

Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I have seen very similar clips, used retain the stainless trim pieces that surround a front windshield or back glass on older vehicles. They maybe the same ones used to secure a Mustang front and rear glass trim surround....

Quote Originally Posted by awakened View Post
    Help with trunk liner hardware on 1986 GT convertible.

What type of hardware is used here in the picture to hold the trunk liner on and where can I find it? I called LMR and they said that the eight plastic rivets are the only hardware needed. The rivets are in place but there are two spots just under the weather stripping (one on either side) where some other type of hardware is needed. There is a small raised post that lines up with a hole in the liner.

not sure if they are correct, I have seem some with a clip, that is very similar to a clip, used to retain the stainless trim pieces that surround a front windshield or back glass on older vehicles. They maybe the same clips, used to secure the mustang front and rear glass trim surround....
    Last edited by G88; 04-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.

I found this shot of a 90 that shows a black clip. My 88 uses a sheet metal screw and a large washer.....LOL

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I found this shot of a 90 that shows a black clip. My 88 uses a sheet metal screw and a large washer.....LOL

Is that an after market lining? It should fit into an 84 I assume. the size and shape are the same.

Where did you get that may I ask?

That is the clip I have seen used on many and that I have, and had found an extra one, under the trunk mat, presume to be left over from day or or other. Not sure yet which was correct, this type or the other one, as shown in a prior posting/image or if both were used at some point from 83-93...

I am glad to see that this thread has been a success.
    Three years ago when it was started by "magnum 517" there was some concern that it wouldn't get much traffic.

Thanks to all of you who help keep our foxy verts on the road!!!
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Sure looks like one of these clips......?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/window-mo...FQeewAoda1MGBQ

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Does anyone know where a trunk liner kit like this can be found?

The trunk liner was OEM on 85-93 Mustang convertibles. You can find it at a junk yard or occasionally on eBay or Craigslist. You can retrofit it for an 84 vert, as I have, but the back panel won't fit unless you make some modifications. I use only the front and 2 side panels and I also have the trunk mat out of a 92 LX. It makes a big difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1993-Mu...RWcL3Q&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by smitty54; 04-21-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    The trunk liner was OEM on 85-93 Mustang convertibles. You can find it at a junk yard or occasionally on eBay or Craigslist. You can retrofit it for an 84 vert, as I have, but the back panel won't fit unless you make some modifications. I use only the front and 2 side panels and I also have the trunk mat out of a 92 LX. It makes a big difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1993-Mu...RWcL3Q&vxp=mtr
    Thanks. There are a few sets on ebay, kinda pricey for crusty look of the used ones but I now have a better ide how to locate a suitable set.

Then I'll have to find the stock clips that has been the topic this week :-)

I've got 2 sides and a back panel if you are interested.The back panel as I mention would need modifications to fit.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I want to add to the topic of repairing convertible latches I had brought up yesterday.

I asked the local interior shop about replacing the springs and he told me, and showed me that my latches are worn badly and have been rigged. Theres a nut and bolt where a drift pin should be on one side. He gave me the url for a supplier he gets from and they have new repro latches for $110 each, compared to LMR charging $134 each. I bet LMR gets from them.

I ordered a new set from this website http://www.hydroe.com/Ford-Mustang-C...ARTS-p-69.html

After I swap them out I will install new springs in the old ones and take them to the local machine shop to see if they can be tightened up with dowel pins or bar stock.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I am glad to see that this thread has been a success.
    Three years ago when it was started by "magnum 517" there was some concern that it wouldn't get much traffic.

Thanks to all of you who help keep our foxy verts on the road!!!
    Ron
    Yes thank you everyone for keeping this alive. I was hoping that this would be a great source for all myVert brothers and sisters to come for help and info. So far it seems to be working.

--Bill

I want to add to the topic of repairing convertible latches I had brought up yesterday.

I asked the local interior shop about replacing the springs and he told me, and showed me that my latches are worn badly and have been rigged. Theres a nut and bolt where a drift pin should be on one side. He gave me the url for a supplier he gets from and they have new repro latches for $110 each, compared to LMR charging $134 each. I bet LMR gets from them.

I ordered a new set from this website http://www.hydroe.com/Ford-Mustang-C...ARTS-p-69.html

After I swap them out I will install new springs in the old ones and take them to the local machine shop to see if they can be tightened up with dowel pins or bar stock.
    This is gold. Sweet, thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Yes thank you everyone for keeping this alive. I was hoping that this would be a great source for all myVert brothers and sisters to come for help and info. So far it seems to be working.

And thanks for letting me post vert stuff even though mine is an 88...........

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Not sure why the prior post did not attached, so it makes sense why I added an image...but here is an image of a new clip to secure the trunk covering ...Found this clip down in the trunk quarter panel well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by G88; 04-22-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Does anyone know where a trunk liner kit like this can be found?
    Check out the previous thread.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-trunk-panels

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast