Close

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Another Convertible top question. Love this thread!

I've read thru all of the posts about the top not going all the way up. I even bought the Convertible top Manual.
    My problem is that the top does not reach the A-pillar. The pins are about 1/2" to 3/4" too far back and the top seems to stop moving about 2" too high (with the arms fully extended). I can hear the pump trying, but it seems to stop moving. I've loosened the 6 bolts and moved the frame forward as far as I can. I actually had to use a ratchet strap and pull it from the load bearing beam in my garage .
    To get it to latch, I loosened the hooks to the point where I can latch it and pushed the top down, but again the pins won't drop down into the receptacles. Yesterday, going down the road, the driver's side hook pulled out and scared the sh-t out of me! I was able to pull over and put the top down and was lucky I wasn't on the highway doing 70!
    Sounds like it needs to move forward 1/2" to 3/4" more and drop 2" more.
    Anyway, I know my top had been down for a good amount of time and I've read that leaving it in the sun will help, but sunlight is getting scarce now.
    Anyone know what else I can do to get this thing adjusted? Can I be low on fluid?
    Now that the temps outside make it a little chilly in the morning, I want to get the top up securely.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks Guys,
    Jules
    Last edited by jules; 09-18-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    '70 Mach I, Sold and Regret Every Second of it!!!
    '78 King Cobra, Sold
    '84-1/2 GT350 Vert. (My Latest Toy)

Double post, sorry
    '78 King Cobra, Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Another Convertible top question. Love this thread!

I've read thru all of the posts about the top not going all the way up. I even bought the Convertible top Manual.
    My problem is that the top does not reach the A-pillar. The pins are about 1/2" to 3/4" too far back and the top seems to stop moving about 2" too high (with the arms fully extended). I can hear the pump trying, but it seems to stop moving. I've loosened the 6 bolts and moved the frame forward as far as I can. I actually had to use a ratchet strap and pull it from the load bearing beam in my garage .
    To get it to latch, I loosened the hooks to the point where I can latch it and pushed the top down, but again the pins won't drop down into the receptacles. Yesterday, going down the road, the driver's side hook pulled out and scared the sh-t out of me! I was able to pull over and put the top down and was lucky I wasn't on the highway doing 70!
    Sounds like it needs to move forward 1/2" to 3/4" more and drop 2" more.
    Anyway, I know my top had been down for a good amount of time and I've read that leaving it in the sun will help, but sunlight is getting scarce now.
    Anyone know what else I can do to get this thing adjusted? Can I be low on fluid?
    Now that the temps outside make it a little chilly in the morning, I want to get the top up securely.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks Guys,
    Jules
    Jules , it really sounds like the vinyl has shrunk from being down for a long time. Parking it in the sun is really the only thing that will help it soften up and stretch again. Also get some good convertible top protectant That will help to soften it up also. Apply the protectant and park it in the sun. Do this several times. Don't force the top to latch , just let the weight of the top stretch it. If you force it , you will fatigue the frame and it will break! If this doesn't work , then I would say to have it looked at by a shop that installs new tops and see what they say. I would say at that point it's new top time. Good luck.

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

If you left the top down for an extended period of time the fabric probably needs to be stretched back out as mentioned above. It doesn't sound like a frame adjustment issue, but rather a fabric adjustment issue. The vinyl top fabric is attached to the body in the top well via stud posts, washers, and nuts. You could loosen those to the point the frame will almost be in latching position and tighten them back up. This is tricky given it is easy to get the corners right and not have them wrinkle.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by jeff85 View Post
    Hope this helps. I'm not much of a photographer.
    That's great! Thanks for the pic. It helps to know what to look for if there is no part number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Jules , it really sounds like the vinyl has shrunk from being down for a long time. Parking it in the sun is really the only thing that will help it soften up and stretch again. Also get some good convertible top protectant That will help to soften it up also. Apply the protectant and park it in the sun. Do this several times. Don't force the top to latch , just let the weight of the top stretch it. If you force it , you will fatigue the frame and it will break! If this doesn't work , then I would say to have it looked at by a shop that installs new tops and see what they say. I would say at that point it's new top time. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    If you left the top down for an extended period of time the fabric probably needs to be stretched back out as mentioned above. It doesn't sound like a frame adjustment issue, but rather a fabric adjustment issue. The vinyl top fabric is attached to the body in the top well via stud posts, washers, and nuts. You could loosen those to the point the frame will almost be in latching position and tighten them back up. This is tricky given it is easy to get the corners right and not have them wrinkle.
    I agree, the sun might be your only way to get the fabric to stretch. Also, never leave the top down for long periods of time not only because of your issue but the top will degrade much faster if left down to long.
    When I bought my 88 the previous owner had the top down all the time and the top just tore apart when I started using it.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Thanks for your advice guys.
    I just tried pulling the pins on the cylinders to see if the top would drop more or if the cylinders could go up more.
    Well, the top didn't budge and the cylinders had more stroke on them. It was worth a shot .
    Then I tried loosening the rails on the back of that hold the top on. Unfortunately, they are all the way up against the slots so there's no more adjustment.
    I left the cylinders disconnected so that the weight of the top might help stretch the top some.
    I'll try to find a good vinyl top conditioner.
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like once the weather drops, I'll be done driving until the spring.

Jules
    '78 King Cobra, Sold

Good luck with it, I know how frustrating it can be. When I installed my new top it took me a bit to get it to close the first time. Then I had to leave it up for 2 weeks before I let it down for the first time.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Can any of you guys recommend a good vinyl top conditioner?
    I've never been a fan of Armor All.
    After reading a couple of reviews, I ordered an 8 oz bottle of Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil.
    I'll try it and hope for some sun soon.

Jules
    '78 King Cobra, Sold

BY the way WET IT DOWN then let it stretch into position. It helps. It is the reason you never put your top down after you wash it till after it dries.
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Top End and RaggTopp both make very nice cleaners and conditioners. Walmart even sells the TopEnd products. They work very well. I have used both. Currently I use the TopEnd products.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    BY the way WET IT DOWN then let it stretch into position. It helps. It is the reason you never put your top down after you wash it till after it dries.
    And yes this is true.

--Bill

Blue Magic also makes an excellent convertible top cleaner/protectant:

https://www.amazon.com/BlueMagic-707.../dp/B000ID0H48
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I've used Meguiars convertible top cleaner and protectant as well. Good stuff.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Ok. I know we haven't had much warm sun lately here in NJ. I've tried the conditioners but have my doubts about their use on vinyl.
    It's gotten downright COLD in the early morning hours here.
    Anyone ever try hot steam on the top? Maybe inside?
    Just looking for a way to extend my time driving the car into the early Fall.
    Jules
    '78 King Cobra, Sold

FEP Senior Member

Hi all, this is my new project, a 1983 Convertible that I "adopted" after a friend decided he no longer wants to continue restoring it. The paint is OK in general, IŽm going to repaint both bumper covers, and the central section of the hood to give it the look of the GT, and change wheels for something nicer.

The hard work will be restoring the interior. It has been repainted in a "pinkish" tone, and my friend changed the carpet but the color is way off from the rest of the panels, besides changing the originally white interior to black. My plan is to paint the interior black, keeping the leather seats, changing the carpet to black and painting the dash and trim in black. the new TMI door panels just arrived to change the horrible panels the car currently has.

I need some help finding the electric window switch bezels. Here is a pic of the door panel with the switches, which I donŽt know if it is original, and why does it have 5 switches... So far IŽve only been able to find the bezels with either two or one switch. What is the fifth switch for and why is it horizontal? (they donŽt work so I canŽt figure it out)

Here are some pics of the car... It was originally a 6 cylinder GLX but it now has a 5.0 V8, and the plans are to give it the GT exterior trim

After I polished and waxed the front end... it looks really good! It needs a professional polish job because it has a lot of orange peel, but IŽm seeing the potential saving of not needing a full paint job.
    Last edited by blueandsilver; 10-03-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: error images

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Hi all, this is my new project, a 1983 Convertible that I "adopted" after a friend decided he no longer wants to continue restoring it. The paint is OK in general, IŽm going to repaint both bumper covers, and the central section of the hood to give it the look of the GT, and change wheels for something nicer.

The hard work will be restoring the interior. It has been repainted in a "pinkish" tone, and my friend changed the carpet but the color is way off from the rest of the panels, besides changing the originally white interior to black. My plan is to paint the interior black, keeping the leather seats, changing the carpet to black and painting the dash and trim in black. the new TMI door panels just arrived to change the horrible panels the car currently has.

I need some help finding the electric window switch bezels. Here is a pic of the door panel with the switches, which I donŽt know if it is original, and why does it have 5 switches... So far IŽve only been able to find the bezels with either two or one switch. What is the fifth switch for and why is it horizontal? (they donŽt work so I canŽt figure it out)

Here are some pics of the car... It was originally a 6 cylinder GLX but it now has a 5.0 V8, and the plans are to give it the GT exterior trim

After I polished and waxed the front end... it looks really good! It needs a professional polish job because it has a lot of orange peel, but IŽm seeing the potential saving of not needing a full paint job.
    Looks good! Glad to see your plans for the car. Sounds like it's going to be a good build. As for the switch bezel, I don't know if anyone makes one for the master switch on the drivers door. Check with Fox Resto they seem to carry a lot of that stuff. And the "fifth" switch is a window lock I believe. So you can lock out all the other switches so kids can't play w the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bill

The fifth switch on the window controls locks the back two window switches from operating so only the driver can operate the rear windows. The multi switch bezel is not reproduced. If you check on eBay, there are one or two NOS chrome units, complete with the switches for a fairly decent price.
    Last edited by Gemini1999; 10-03-2016 at 06:26 PM.
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

Thanks a lot! IŽll search for it on Ebay!

FEP Senior Member

I forgot to ask another question: Looking at the 83 Mustang brochures in the Library section I see that the GTs have what appears to be a black rocker moulding, however from what I understand 1982 was the last year that Mustangs had the chrome or black rocker moulding.

Is this just painted black on the 1983 cars or is there a different moulding?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    I forgot to ask another question: Looking at the 83 Mustang brochures in the Library section I see that the GTs have what appears to be a black rocker moulding, however from what I understand 1982 was the last year that Mustangs had the chrome or black rocker moulding.

Is this just painted black on the 1983 cars or is there a different moulding?

thanks
    On the GT models, the rocker panel itself is painted Satin Black for 1983-84. There's no molding on the rocker panel for those years.
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

Thanks! One less part to search for!

Waking up a great thread!
    Can I add to the "stick togetherness" of convertible owners even though mine is a '92?
    I've read this thread from the first post to the last. I have learned quite a bit. I know that I am going to get my hands on the manual and the dvd. Scotty, thanks for your help and for sharing the link to this thread.

And now a question from me...
    Am I going to have issues with the glass rear window kit I'm going to buy? It seems like my Google search was filled with people saying that the zipper on the new window enclosure rarely matches the top. -Including the experience of the previous owner of my car. She said that the shop told her that they had to do extensive work to get the new back window in. Then they charged her $250 for labor.
    Any input?
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

I've posted this on another thread but since this one is directed to convertible owners I'll try here as well. What is everyone's opinion on the luggage rack that sits on the trunk on post 1985 cars? Mine had been removed off the car years ago and I'm thinking of bringing it back to factory correct, however I've had a hard time finding one in decent shape. Is it worth even pursuing this? I've been on the fence with this for awhile now
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1986gt View Post
    I've posted this on another thread but since this one is directed to convertible owners I'll try here as well. What is everyone's opinion on the luggage rack that sits on the trunk on post 1985 cars? Mine had been removed off the car years ago and I'm thinking of bringing it back to factory correct, however I've had a hard time finding one in decent shape. Is it worth even pursuing this? I've been on the fence with this for awhile now
    Obviously it's your car so you should do what makes you happy. My opinion is it does not add any value to the car and it does not add any looks either. Most would argue it does just the opposite actually so I don't see the motivation to put it back. What would be the reason? Are you like super into scoring points at MCA shows or something? That would be the only reason I could think of right off hand.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast