Close

Default Some SVO press from Hemmings

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...od-sports-car/

I think the answer is Yes as far as being misunderstood. Amazing how many car guys can't believe it when I tell them it was the first Mustang w/ 4 wheel disc brakes.

Misunderstood by ( Many ) Enthusiasts and the Ford Marketing people.

But then Ford Marketing has a Long History of Poorly Promoting their Performance cars

And so far they are not exactly doing a Terrific job of Marketing the Newest Mustang -

Hard to Figure why that is.
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350

Yea, at the time the engineers saw a turbocharged world ahead and took a shot at getting in ahead of the curve. Unfortunately, pricing and marketing didn't help convince folks this was the future. Looking back, there were many things that should have been done differently but you can never take away what the small group of engineers accomplished outside of the big Ford corporate world. These are the men, this is the machine wasn't just marketing, it was SVO.

If you want a good read on the history of the SVO, make sure to get the book.

I think it's because of all the positive press, the fact that the car was way ahead of its time, the premier parts that were used, and the lackluster sales figures, that will eventually make the SVO a world class collector car...especially the comp preps. They haven't come anywhere near that status yet, but the car has too many things going for it to not become of the most collectible fox Mustangs ever made.

The time to buy is now...
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I'd like to agree being an SVO owner but I'm not sure if that day will ever come. It's been 30 years now and still little movement on the cars status.

I think the number of options a collector car buy has saturates the market. Saleen's, Steeda's, pace cars, clean GT's and the list goes on. That being said, the SVO is truly a unique car with a great history and clean examples should bring good money. If you look at the engineering that went into the car compared to what someone like Shelby did, it really was a special car.

I will enjoy mine and keep it original as a tribute to the folks that made it happen. If it becomes a collector that's just icing on the cake.

Gentlemen:

I agree on your key points. s an original owner I bought the SVO because as a former racer I appreciated and knew full well all of the engineering and hard work that the smart folks at SVO did to create our rides. That is the primary reason I bought the SVO as opposed to the 5.0 -

Rodster- I work to keep my 7b car as Original as is possible both visually and mechanically to preserve it's heritage and inherent performance.

While I also agree with Top Gear that the "time to buy is now" for anyone looking to acquire an SVO , as you state and as most of us owners know, the SVO just has not appreciated in value in the "collector car" universe.

I bought the car because of what it was and have been completely happy with it from Day One.

Besides who wouldn't be happy owning a 140 MPH Turbo Intercooled 2.3 Liter I 4 that also gets 26 3/4 MPG at 65 MPH with the AC on and the Premium Sound Cassette deck blasting out the Soundtrack from Top Gun while crusin' down the Interstate !

"Well Done" Gentlemen !!!to the original band of Ford Engineers who made the SVO a Reality.
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350

Quote Originally Posted by EJSVO View Post
    Gentlemen:

I agree on your key points. s an original owner I bought the SVO because as a former racer I appreciated and knew full well all of the engineering and hard work that the smart folks at SVO did to create our rides. That is the primary reason I bought the SVO as opposed to the 5.0 -

Rodster- I work to keep my 7b car as Original as is possible both visually and mechanically to preserve it's heritage and inherent performance.

While I also agree with Top Gear that the "time to buy is now" for anyone looking to acquire an SVO , as you state and as most of us owners know, the SVO just has not appreciated in value in the "collector car" universe.

I bought the car because of what it was and have been completely happy with it from Day One.

Besides who wouldn't be happy owning a 140 MPH Turbo Intercooled 2.3 Liter I 4 that also gets 26 3/4 MPG at 65 MPH with the AC on and the Premium Sound Cassette deck blasting out the Soundtrack from Top Gun while crusin' down the Interstate !

"Well Done" Gentlemen !!!to the original band of Ford Engineers who made the SVO a Reality.
    Wow I got goosebumps! I actually have never owned a ford before this.
    I have always been a Mopar guy, and still have my 1965 Hemi Coronet 500.
    I sold my chassis car, a 71 dart 440 drag car to pay for my youngest daughters wedding last Friday.
    I was looking for something to play around with and after going with my wife and a few of my Friends to the local road course track "Waterford Hills" here in Waterford Michigan I decided I wanted to do something different as apposed to going straight for 1320'.
    I was looking at all kind of cars when I found my SVO on Craigslist, the car was less than 14 miles from my house.
    Cant wait to try her out, been watchin videos. Looks like a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by EJSVO View Post
    Gentlemen:

Well said!

Cool that you are an original SVO owner. I remember looking at them when they were new but had just bought the radical new body style 83 TBird so the SVO had to wait. I remember initially being turned off by the high price, 4 cyl, and offset scoop all of which I appreciate now.

Default My '86 9L

I luckily caught the original public owner needing to sell an original '86 9L and have
    had this same SVO for almost 20 years. I've kept it "squeeky" stock except for the
    radio now AM/FM/CD, the lower Flaming River steering column, and the spare tire
    now is full size w/an SVO wheel....the spare saver, which had the build sheet taped
    to it, is packed away. For a 70k mile collector car, it has been SO MUCH FUN to drive,
    ESP on curvy mountain roads at SPEED!

P.S. I am HIGHLY CHAGRINED to think our SVOs have to share the same name w/
    the new "mustang" model.
    Last edited by arvak; 10-25-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: streamline
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

When you say the lower Flaming River column, are you talking about the steering shaft (which replaces the rag joint)? If so, how is the improvement over the stock rag joint? I'm thinking of getting one for my car but I'm curious about how noticeable the difference is on an otherwise stock car.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Default Flaming River steering shaft

It's been several years since the rag joint "went away" in the original steering shaft....seems to me the steering was
    more precise when the Flaming River shaft was inserted. If I had the choice between an original rag joint shaft replacement
    and the F. R. shaft, I'd go w/the F. R. again.
    Last edited by arvak; 10-25-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    I'd like to agree being an SVO owner but I'm not sure if that day will ever come. It's been 30 years now and still little movement on the cars status.

I think the number of options a collector car buy has saturates the market. Saleen's, Steeda's, pace cars, clean GT's and the list goes on. That being said, the SVO is truly a unique car with a great history and clean examples should bring good money. If you look at the engineering that went into the car compared to what someone like Shelby did, it really was a special car.

I will enjoy mine and keep it original as a tribute to the folks that made it happen. If it becomes a collector that's just icing on the cake.

Doubt I can help you BUT you should know that I just completed a RECORD sales for SVO's ! (Not patting myself on back BUT I think we all tend to think about the LOW MILE (read under 5K miles) Comp Prep cars)

Mark
    P.S. Un fortunatly for SVO owners I put the money into a 427 Fairlane ! (though I do have 5 SVO's left)

Interesting, could you give some more details on the record? Multiple cars?

Nothing wrong w/ using SVO $ for a 427 Fairlane in my book.