Close

Default Tape deck problem

Like it says, was using the tape player last night, now it just keeps switching from left to right and of course doesn't play. I think the problem may be the drive belt is broke, either way the unit has to come out, and that's been awhile for me but I think I remember.

Any thoughts on my diag.

That's what happened the last two times I had one break.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanks Travis, btw did you fix it yourself, or can you get the belt? I know how to take it apart, just need to know how to get the correct belt.

I took it apart and found an old music store in town that stocked old electrical components. I just matched up the old belt, it's probably stretched just a tad.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Ya that's what I thought. You know all those years I was a Tech I never replaced one but often wondered how long they would last. Now I know. Thanks buddy.

So how would I go about removing the unit from the dash please?
    Assuming that I needed to repair it?
    Regards
    Gary

It's no fun. It has to come out from the rear. First you need to remove the console if so equipped, the the lower heat duct which has two screws holding it, (lots of fun). There is a brace at the rear of the radio that has a ground wire attached with a nut that holds everthing on, remove that and an additional bolt that holds the brace on right under the radio and remove the brace. There are two screws that hold the front of the radio located under the dash on the outside. On my car those screws were so tight I had to use a impact driver to loosen them. The best Phillips bit to use is a #1 posi bit so the bit goes into the head of the screw far enough. After they're removed disconnect the antenna lead, the electrical connectors, again alot of fun on the connectors, and remove the radio out the rear. Good luck, and take your time.

I was a Ford and GM tech for 38 years and the last time I recall doing one of these was 25 years ago I was alot more nimble and I remember then what a pain it was. Luckily for me I had a factory shop manual to refresh my memory. Then after you've gone through that process you have to disassemble the radio chassis to get to the cassette drive belts. On mine the main drive belt had come off, I imagine it stretched after 28 years.

Once you've got to the belts you have to order the correct ones accounting for stretch. If you need help in that area PM me for further info.