Close

Default need advise on cam options

so i have an 87 5.0 efi in my 86 LX. here is my drive train 8.8 rear end with 4.10's stock control arms, AOD with stock converter and mild shift kit. shorty headers, off road h pipe , efi converted to carb Edelbrock perfromer RPM intake with comp series 750cfm, HI-6 ignition and GT40 heads. i've look at the B303 and E303 . so right now i have stock rockers on the GT40's . It isn't really a daily driver but a crusie around car that will be taken to the track occasionally. My goal is to run low 13's with the hopes of running a 12.99 with this setup. thoughts lets open this up and see what you think.
    Last edited by shuffln; 08-28-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    1976 II coupe, 1982 GT, 1986 LX

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

I've had great luck with the Comp XE266HR cam in a 302. Light years ahead of any of the Ford 303 cams.
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

The slush box isn't helping you but 4.10's are the right gears - have you tossed a set of sticky tires on and run it? I'd think with the GT40's and bolt-on's you listed you're not far away...

If you do decide to roll a cam, a B cam & set of 1.7 Crane "Cobra" rockers (probably find both good used shape for about $200 bucks total) or one of the smaller XE (as noted) or similar cams would likely run good (and be a better match for your intake).

Make sure your valve springs are right for whatever cam and get the geometry correct. With almost any cam upgrade I'd say you need a matching converter or your out of the hole times will likely be crap.

Funnel
    '64 Comet
    ---
    No Fox's at present but an '82 GT or Notch is always a possibility - though hands are pretty full with the kids and Comet!

I ran a TFS1 with my GT40Ps and would recommend that cam to anyone with a similar setup. Don't forget matching valve springs also. I would suggest a smaller carburetor for your combo, like 600-650cfm, no matter what cam you choose.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

thanks guys i was thinking the B303 and 1.7RR . Blackgt85 i had a 600cfm edelbrock and it ran like crap. i switched to a 600cfm Holley and it bogged under load, with the 750 it runs great at idle and when i hit the gas. i know the AOD isn't the best choice but for highway driving ( when need be ) with the 4.10's it's nice. what shift kit would be a good option to spruce the AOD up?
    1976 II coupe, 1982 GT, 1986 LX

Quote Originally Posted by shuffln View Post
    thanks guys i was thinking the B303 and 1.7RR . Blackgt85 i had a 600cfm edelbrock and it ran like crap. i switched to a 600cfm Holley and it bogged under load, with the 750 it runs great at idle and when i hit the gas. i know the AOD isn't the best choice but for highway driving ( when need be ) with the 4.10's it's nice. what shift kit would be a good option to spruce the AOD up?
    There are ways to correct the bog. You might want to reconsider the Holley 600.

Let us know how the B303 cam and 1.7 RR's work out. This is something I was thinking of doing myself.
    1985 Mustang GT - original short block w/ bolt-ons
    1995 Mustang GT - supercharged 331
    2007 Mustang BDX - (Barber Driving Experience) designed for daily driving and track use

I'm not a fan of Eddy carbs but if your runs good - good! I think anything smaller than a 650 you'll lose up top. You want the biggest carb you can tune for good low rpm perf. You indicated the AOD already has a shift kit; again if you do go the cam route I'd stuff a higher stall converter in at the same time! Something for a B cam power range would be 2500-2800rpm. Also, if you do a lot of street driving get an external trans cooler - cheap insurance.

Funnel
    '64 Comet
    ---
    No Fox's at present but an '82 GT or Notch is always a possibility - though hands are pretty full with the kids and Comet!