Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 86-0188 :(

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    The alt plug on that era Fords was a fire trap. It would overheat and melt the wiring and usually something plastic caught fire and then it was Toasted Fox. If you have a Ford of that era with an original alt plug, CHANGE IT.
    Thanks, I'll check my 85.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

What a joyful sight!!!

Great work! Glad to see another rescued.

she looks better already..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Very glad is getting fixed. Crazy how something like a simple fuel line or electrical device can cause so much damage. I think we all should inpect our cars really good after the winter, to be sure our cars are ready for the Spring and Summer. I was reading that the brake fluid should be completely flushed out every two years do to drawing moisture and causing corrosion. Any how, that could be another post. Our cars are meant to be driven, so let's enjoy our cars on the road than on a trailer or garage, never know when something like this can happen. Just all spend time to be properly insured and mechanically sound. Looks great already! Good job.

Any updates?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

So good to see this! Also just realized this thread didn't have any action shots from that fateful day

Name:  IMG_0213.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0214.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  59.1 KB
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    So good to see this! Also just realized this thread didn't have any action shots from that fateful day

Name:  IMG_0213.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  44.7 KB
    Yikes! I think it was better without the "ACTION" shots!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

That's why I'll never be completely cool with EFI. I've seen too many rides burn to the ground. It just isn't "safe" having that electric fuel pump and 30 PSI of fuel pressure on tap just waiting for something to fail.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

ive never had any issues with the 5.0 EFIs in totally stock condition, BUT, I just recently had an issue with one of my jeeps where there was a leak near the engine and scared the sh&t! out of me. It was my daughters car, so really scared me that this could happen. Luckily she dropped by the house and I immediately smelled the fuel or im convinced it was only a matter of time that it literally went up in smoke. Im an engineer by trade and there should never ever be a design that allows for even the slightest chance that this can happen. And only under significantly low probabilities. I couldn't believe my eyes. I must admit, that I will start paying more attention to the FI parts, especially near a very hot engine. really scared me and I don't scare easily. One of the scariest in flight emergencies I encountered was an inflight engine fire on my port engine.....over water and no where to land....closest I ever came to ditching an aircraft....don't play with fuel under pressure near engines...

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    That's why I'll never be completely cool with EFI. I've seen too many rides burn to the ground. It just isn't "safe" having that electric fuel pump and 30 PSI of fuel pressure on tap just waiting for something to fail.

Just a few months ago I was tinkering with my SVO which is up on 4 jack stands. I fired it up and was tinkering with it under the hood when I barely nudged the plastic fuel line where it meets the FPR and it broke the line. Fuel spray all over the car, all over me, all over the garage, scared the living crap out of me. Luckily it did not ignite! I could have lost EVERYTHING.

All reasons I've got a fire extinguisher ready to go in my car, at arm's length away.
    For function correction, I just upped it's fuel pressure to 44psi... so yeah...
    Design-wise, I'd MUCH rather see 99.9% hard line, with very minimal, and VERY tough flexible connections, that are obviously, or should only be in place to address engine vibration. Since finance, as opposed to engineering, has been the "fast track" to the top within automakers since at least sometime in the 80's, I'd say that's why we got what we got, including the ridiculous plastic-clip-held connections and o-rings... those are not "best practices", but they're certainly friendly in the profit-increasing department...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-26-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

How is the restoration on this car coming?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I'm with you on that;

Been around EFI since 1988 with my old mans Jap import 83 CFI Corona, an AOD front drive family hack that has taught me to love even a great single point efi engin.

Around propane since 1985, had the best darn service technican to teach me saftey.

All my gasoline carb cars have had a Maplassi Regulator or bleed back, except my 81 Stang.

With our high benzen Kiwi crap gasoline, all my carb mechanical fuel pumps have had leaks, so I've had early warning on my prestart checks.

My sons recently written off Toyota had a massive FPR leak, common for 1993 Coronas, and that kinds PORT efi STUFF IS A REAL RISK.

I know the "86-0188 " wasn't anybody's doing, and it maybee could have happened with a 4V HO, but the fuel loads on pressure and return lines are clearly a crap load higher, and you have time to scream with carb and mechanical fuel pump leaks, not with port EFI.

So that's why we have hard shoulders on Highways....

Right now, busy doing my wifes 1996 170 hp JDM RAV4 engine, and I have the same issue with hi pressure line brass unions, just so O ring component replacement, just so fuel lines. There is no room for anything but AirCraft Mainenace standards of workmanship and detailing, they don't suffer fools.

Fox wiring is another matter; as it ages, it gets unpredictable, but at least you've got the kind of follow up information you'd need for a Space Mission on line here.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in EFI, and Fords system is one of the best, but like everything since 1980, its a 100% specific engineered thing. You f with it, and it'll bite you. If its in storage, as my RAV4 has been, you gotta check the lines and fuel pump operation, and stale fuel problems are the least of your worries.

That's why I detest aftermarket EFI. I'm not kncking the effort that SEMA suppliers have made, but the internet has this " do minimum" bitch fest with not following the factory pump pickup and fuel line requirements...that kind sh!+ has to stop because the Ford Motor Company are the ones that have to deal with fuel system class and civil action claims. You either do it 100%, or don't bother with aromatic hydrocrabons.

Aftermarket EFI systems, when they don't uphold Ford orginal goals, well, its cashing in on ignorance, and I just keep on seeing just how smart and complete Fords systems were.

I love, absolutely love, the low pressure delivery VV 7200 and Bowel Vent 1, 2-bbl and 4-bbl systems from 1980 ish to the last Police Cruiser P71 engines in about 1991. Ford really knew what they were doing with each.

Any way, I love the Saleen. Go for it. 86's are such a step up in technolgy, and very sweet rides.

Check you lines, but don't be paranoid.

After 14 years of driving only 86-88 efi cars, ive had my first leaks. A chunk of ice from my front wheel well broke off and jammed into the jacking rail area at freeway speeds. Made it 10 miles home till I smelled gas.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Any updates?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Wow, that's really a great looking car! Well worth the save!
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12