Close

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am not sure how much information you can really gain with some stationary fans, unless they are some really big and powerful fans. You can definitely give it a try, but I wouldn't put too much stock in any information you learn. I would use it as advisory or limited at best.
    That's all I was suggesting for the fan use. I was giving an idea on how to get some air flowing over the car so he could see what might be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    ...Granted, this method is by no means accurate for high-speed wind-tunnel testing, but it will give you an idea of what the flow patterns might look like.
    That's why I made this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I would also recommend that rather than using the baby powder, I would recommend using small pieces of string or very light weight plastic tape (either of them brightly colored), cut pieces around 2-3 inches in length and then tape them down to the areas of the body that you want to check. Turn the fans on and watch the airflow by how the strings/tapes are moving. This allows you to view for a much longer time and even take pictures of the areas if you want...
    The string/tape idea sounds good, too. I use the baby powder in a bottle method when hunting and saw another use for it.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Well folks its been some time and I have been away obviously. I have been busy with family life but also have managed to make some progress. The pic shows the quarter panel area, everything from the mid section down is in sheet metal while the top portion is mocked up in cardboard to get an idea on lines and suchName:  IMG_3251.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  65.0 KB
    current : 2002 GT with terminator swap
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    2007 TL type S (beater car)
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

Glad to see work progressing! Thanks for the update! This car is going to be SWEET.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to seeing more. Keep at it. It'll be done one day.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Here is the update for Jan 2016. I've finished the small section below the molding line behind the door. Inside is support for the "clam shell" upper section that will move. The rest is mocked up in air filter boxes, I have the guys at work save them for me. Im all about recycling lol. Name:  jan 3 2016 100.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  78.2 KBName:  jan 3 2016 104.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  68.3 KBName:  jan 3 2016 107.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  94.8 KB
    I painted the cardboard to get a better idea on body lines, there are a few areas that immediately jumped out after painting.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

Right now the profile on the tire looks to small. It needs to be bigger to fill the wheel opening. The back end also looks like it is missing a big spoiler to off set the smaller back end. I like it!
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    Right now the profile on the tire looks to small. It needs to be bigger to fill the wheel opening. The back end also looks like it is missing a big spoiler to off set the smaller back end. I like it!
    Rear tires are slated to be 28" tall. The one in the pic is 26" and was merely for construction purposes. Warn out viper tire still $100 on ebay.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Looking good, ma'am. I like the way your garage is setup, too.
    Build Thread

Looking good. I like.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Any updates?
    85 Capri RS

Updates for any interested parties, pushrod rear suspension is done. Working on body again, someone please help!!!!!! I am not a English wheel body and fender guy!Name:  426.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  100.9 KBName:  429.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  115.2 KBName:  430.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  90.0 KBName:  432.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  99.7 KB
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Wow....... unreal
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

I'm familiar with most of the issues, more from a design standpoint because I did a 1987 Mid-Engine car project for Technical Drawing as a kid and got 92% for it. Tutor was a dick, I should have been marked down for stupid drawing construction, but the whole world is pretty ignorant when it won't take time to read truly wonderful US and European and British Isles car construction.

De Tomaso’s were built in Australia for a time, and our Kiwi race car builders have done the glorious Iron and alloy SB and BB V8 thing to death. Nowhere in the world is a GT40 more loved than in New Zealand. And mostly, it was Kiwi, Aussie and English development engineers who killed themselves in these kinds of cars from the 60's to the super sedan era. So Mid-engine cars are not things to trifle with.

English wheeling and hammer forming I did back in 2002 in the North Island on a 1915 Dodge. Wasted chassis, only one in the world IIRC because 1915 Dodges weren't made. The issues over modern mid / rear engine Fox retro fits were debated (rather hotly) back here.

Page 3 sums it up...http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gine-fox/page3.

The reason I didn't weigh in on your post (G""d knows I have on everything else) is because I live in a Provence were we build replica Aston Martins, D and C type Jaguars at Dunedin Air Port with their original engines, and coach builders here know all the tricks, but tend to use aluminum, like the old Austin Healy. It’s a great material, all our buses used to be beaten alloy, and its fun to slam and form, but very difficult to prime and smooth and paint without real work.

So steel is kind of boring, and the same issues crop up with mid-engine Fox designs, wheelhouse size, and scoping the project.

The whole concept of cutting pressed steel creates a real problem with how ridgity is maintained. Effectively, you are forced to play welded section and Italian tube to box section transitions, or Countach/ Gullwing Mercedes style internal gussets to maintain bending stiffness.

Alloy is a better building material, but it actually doesn't matter, because even if it’s a little bit heaver with a 4.6 inside, it’s going to rock.

Sadly, I think about how much better it would be with alloy panels. Alloy is a bitch to hammer form, but you can do it.

If you’re doing steel, get the wheel, and make more rejects to make it all go together. Two guys working an EW get sharper, harder, and better results, it’s like heavy metal guitar practice. Hear (See/Feel) that, you missed a change. Let’s do it again...

In your case, you’ve had a good think about every aspect, and props on the on the suspension.

For 10 years, a company called Joss made a prototype JT-1 (Ford V8, G50 Porsche gearbox) then JP-1 (6.8 engines, transverse seamless gearbox). Pumped a bunch of money into development, failed to make it work economically. The people who make supercars work aren’t Bruce McLaren or John Z De Loren. Its artists who are like film directors. They have vision, and flair and contacts. Kiwis and Aussies are passionless people; they don't whoop and talk bigger than they act. The Italians do, have a mixture of "I’m so gonna whip your a$$" like Africans fronting, yet in the end, they pull it all together. Americans can be like that too.

Do the flares in paper Mache if you have to, but make a buck that you can form and check dimensions with. Then learn to wheel it with you, and one other trusted friend. If you aren't physically jaded from a day’s work, you can use a daughter old enough to help out. It’s not about strength; it’s about being safe, and mapping out the compound curves, and cutting it into sections and joining it. You can have someone make stuff in PE if you really must. 3d modelling has no limits.

How do you think air plane constructors at Kitty Hawk made a plane work?

English wheel?

Or fabric. Once you've gotten the right shape, you can make a hard formed buck, and trial fit the parts.

A scratch built Fox will always have value, so you’re on the right page.

What an over the top build!

If I were building this on a budget I'd throw a Clevor (Cleveland head) 351W based stroker at it with the transaxle for a Pantara to get it going.

There re are some other combos worth exploring too. 500 AWD V6 done with with a huge power adder? Another trans option that might hold the power without breaking the bank is a beefed up SHO transaxle. Adapter plate would be needed for some of the most desireable motors.

BTW Personally I think I would have went after a Cobra IRS and brake parts off the Ford shelf. I don't feel like you can take parts off of a corvette and call it a super car. Many of us have so badly spanked vettes over the years with our foxes.

Just my thoughts for what it is worth..

Blog Entries

I've had good luck with a hammer form made from MDF to get the basic shape, welded to a wire frame such as you have partially built in one of the rear quarter pictures you posted.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Good to see things are happening!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Glad things are still moving along with this project.

The metal forming and finishing of the rear quarters will definitely take some time and skill. It can be done with some simple tools and different methods depending on what works best. The biggest issue will always be getting the second quarter to match the shape and lines of the first.

Now if you are willing to consider fiberglass or even carbon fiber, I have the original Gloy Capri quarters and fenders that molds can be made from . . . .

Although they might still require some modifications to fit your setup. I am not sure if your overall width is a wide as the Trans Am/IMSA cars were. Either way it's still an option.

Actually looked at the earlier pictures a bit more and the overall widths are probably pretty close just judging from the photos. Either way wouldn't be difficult to make it all work.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-19-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

On the "needing sponsors" front, where are you documenting this work other than here? There are companies and people out there that would help if they can get some attention back for them or their shop. It's an over the top build that a fabrication shop that could use some exposure would get behind. Sponsors or brand-to-brand partners need exposure back for return on investment. Otherwise it's just a charity.