Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

So for some reason, my iphone turns pics upside down and even when I save them upside down in the phone, they still post wrong. I will only post from the computer from here.
    This is ver 8.2 of the rear quarter job. It is made from 1/4 and 3/16 round steel. Easy to work with and not really that heavy. I pull the blanket over the frame work to see how it will look.Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  52.4 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  92.1 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  92.1 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  77.9 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  108.2 KB
    current : 2002 GT with terminator swap
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    2007 TL type S (beater car)
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

Looks pretty good!

The only advice I can offer is that to keep in mind the actual race cars used "huge" tire heights by today's standards, therefore the wheel arches are moved up very high on the body. So unless you plan on similarly "tall" tires there will be way too much gap between your tires and the wheel lip/arches if you mimic the original body lines. Most likely you will need/want to lower the wheel arches to make it all flow well with a more modern 40 series 17" or 30 series 18" depending on what you plan on using for wheels and tires.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yep big tires!! I am building to run 31/71-19 racing slicks on the back. They use them in Tudor series and gt series. Michelin makes few different compounds in that size. It breaks down to a 28" tall tire with a 12" tread band width.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

Then you should be just fine with the IMSA style wheel arches.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

just read this whole thread and i thoroughly enjoy seeing your progress.

the only way i may be able to contribute to this thread is by helping you with the pics posting upside down. when you take a picture with an iPhone, you need to have the volume buttons pointing down. apple sets an orientation flag in the file, but a PC ignores this and that's what is causing your trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
    just read this whole thread and i thoroughly enjoy seeing your progress.

the only way i may be able to contribute to this thread is by helping you with the pics posting upside down. when you take a picture with an iPhone, you need to have the volume buttons pointing down. apple sets an orientation flag in the file, but a PC ignores this and that's what is causing your trouble.
    Dude that's great news!! I will try next time. I was beginning to believe in gremlins!! Strange thing is I even went back in and rotated the pics to upside down in my phone and they still came in that way here. crazy. I always use the volume button to take the pic so it makes sense.
    Thanks for the advice and welcome from another newbie!!
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

I'm sorry in advance if this pic is upside down but I figured I'd try again with my new knowledge about crappy iPhones . Anyway I found these on eBay for 51 I really needed a clean hood and this one is perfect. In fact all of these were garage kept! No rust at all on the hood even underneath.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  136.4 KB
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

This thing is gonna be epic.
    86 GT Black "Elle" Center force, World Class T5, longtubes,underdrives,CAI, 87 throttle body and intake plenum with 1/2" spacer 13.89 at 101 . 180000mi now there is water in the oil an Working on an explorer gt40p and xcam combo,mass air conversion 9AL.
    87 short bed 351w 4x4 4 speed daily driver.
    life is short play hard:burnout and throw mud!

Anymore info on the trans and adapter?

Trans is slated to be a Weismann paddle shifted 6-speed. These things are amazing and hold a ton of torque. Pricey though, I talked to the company owner and he's not interested in any sort of sponsorship so it will cost me about 30k for the entire package. Ouch!! There goes the budget!!
    Here's a link
    http://www.weismann.net/Products/wht.html
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedgirlsdoitbetter View Post
    Trans is slated to be a Weismann paddle shifted 6-speed. These things are amazing and hold a ton of torque. Pricey though, I talked to the company owner and he's not interested in any sort of sponsorship so it will cost me about 30k for the entire package. Ouch!! There goes the budget!!
    Here's a link
    http://www.weismann.net/Products/wht.html
    Ouch? That's the sound you make after you pinch yourself.
    If any one part of my car cost 30k I'd be seriously rethinking as to why I didn't just buy that Ford GT in the first place.
    Or that Super Snake...
    Or that new Vette.....
    Or that 911......
    And the sound that'd come out of my mouth would be me exhaling my last breath.

Damn,....there is nothing else that you can modify, or have modified (like a ZF) that'll fit behind that engine?
    I'd think that there is at least one wadded up Ford GT out there that still has it's drive train intact,.....how much is the factory 6 speed that came in that car?
    Like this one for half of that on Ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321451641927?lpid=82
    Last edited by Mike1157; 09-28-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Ricardo boxes which came in the GT are bringing 20k or so.
    I thought about one as they are the only other option that will handle the torque. Now knowing this and the fact that they are not paddle shifted and are old school along with the difficulty to obtain parts for it made me plan for the weisman.
    Don't get me wrong I love to clutch a car and do it old school but this car will benefit from paddle shifts, never have to get out of the throttle to shift. I also know the weisman will be a better choice after the initial purchase .
    20k or so and that's all I would have versus 35 and it comes with everything I need like clutch, halfshafts, shifter paddles, computer, etc.
    I know it's a boatload of money and I'll have to sell my house to get a power train but hey.
    It's a budget built supercar and at the end of the day I'll have the only one. If you look at it in supercar terms, 100 k is not much for a 250 mph car. What do Bugatti's cost?
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Mike1157

Ricardo boxes which came in the GT are bringing 20k or so.
    I thought about one as they are the only other option that will handle the torque. Now knowing this and the fact that they are not paddle shifted and are old school along with the difficulty to obtain parts for it made me plan for the weisman.
    Don't get me wrong I love to clutch a car and do it old school but this car will benefit from paddle shifts, never have to get out of the throttle to shift. I also know the weisman will be a better choice after the initial purchase .
    20k or so and that's all I would have versus 35 and it comes with everything I need like clutch, halfshafts, shifter paddles, computer, etc.
    I know it's a boatload of money and I'll have to sell my house to get a power train but hey.
    It's a budget built supercar and at the end of the day I'll have the only one. If you look at it in supercar terms, 100 k is not much for a 250 mph car. What do Bugatti's cost?
    I think that's a stretch. When it's all said and done you'll still have a Mustang. And, when looking at your build template, a streetable copy of an IMSA race car at that. and even at 100k it will still be the single handidly most expensive fox mustang ever built. Yes, the car will be able to do what you ask of it performance wise (aerodynamics withstanding) but one thing it'll never be is a Bugatti.

Don't want to be a Bugatti just wanna be as fast as one
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Mike1157

I'm with you. And like I said on your introductory thread, I've always aspired to build a "Supercar" capable of holding it's own w/ the likes of a European exotic.
    But then reality sets in.
    Being as fast as a Lambo Aventadore is only part of it. All wheel drive, , carbon brakes that'll stop so hard that you'll end up w/ shaken baby syndrome, super smart on board diagnostics that make up for the drivers' inability to drive (and stop) a car that fast, touch controlled creature comforts, aerodynamics that make it actually feasible to dream of safely traveling at 200+ MPH...and that leather.
    And then I wake up.
    It's safe to say that your car will be a Super Mustang, but there's a reason those cars cost 400,000+ and it's more than speed.
    Last edited by Mike1157; 09-28-2014 at 09:01 PM.

And do it american style! I applaud you!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

I have some preliminary renderings from Rampant Renderings and I feel motivated .......again! I would like to know if I could take a pole on which combination everyone likes best. Now how to do that??? hhhmmmName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-blk.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  87.8 KBName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-blk2.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  88.0 KBName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-gray1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  89.0 KBName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-gray2.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  88.3 KB
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

I have some preliminary renderings from Rampant Renderings and I feel motivated .......again! I would like to know if I could take a pole on which combination everyone likes best. Now how to do that??? hhhmmmName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-blk.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  87.8 KBName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-blk2.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  88.0 KBName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-gray1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  89.0 KBName:  86_MR_Mustang_1-gray2.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  88.3 KB
    I think the 3rd one down is pretty sweet. While I'm not a huge fan of yellow, I think it's just enough to offset the color and IMO adds a little more flair to the color than the black stripes do.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Where's the huge wing?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I know it looks yellow, the idea was to match the brushed gold that will be the wheels. LOL no huge wing, plans are to use a pro-stock style and see how it goes. I don't like those huge whale tails, but I plan on having multiple hatches for testing
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

I just posted a new thread for you with a poll for the renderings.

Here is the link:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Rendering-POLL

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I know it looks yellow, the idea was to match the brushed gold that will be the wheels. LOL no huge wing, plans are to use a pro-stock style and see how it goes. I don't like those huge whale tails, but I plan on having multiple hatches for testing
    Attachment 76213

Here is a pic of the 79-93 Aluminum Race Wings. They are available in strutless and strut versions for mustang coupe's and hatches. $300 for the strutless and $475 with struts.

Paypal accepted at Leightracing@yahoo.com or email them at Leightracing@yahoo.com

Checked out the poll. Put in my $.02 worth. Personally, knowing how silver sometimes does not stay well with sun light exposure, I went with the gold stripes with black paint. Nice look with the gold wheels.
    Last edited by conmech; 10-20-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Mike1157

If you don't mind, How much did your renderings cost you. I'm interested in something like that for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    If you don't mind, How much did your renderings cost you. I'm interested in something like that for mine.
    I am not certain as of today. These are what the artist calls a "first run" I've offered payment but he hasn't said yet. In our emails back and forth I can tell you he is an enthusiast about Mustangs and really jumped into this drawing. So, I guess the answer is a bunch of time talking to others before stumbling across this one. I would highly recommend their services. His name is Mike Creighton, company name is Rampant Renders.
    Last edited by 4eyedgirlsdoitbetter; 10-22-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast