Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New User

I see it, and a buddy of mine does the exact same thing for show cars he builds. He has used this method for many years and you would think it was factory when complete. The last pic reminds me a little of a Dodge Coronet quarter (only more pronounced). I like the shape as is, maybe a little bulge in the center would really set it off.
    Chris - formerly coostv
    1984 Mustang GT Convertible - in process...
    Rebuild Thread

Looks similar to the ones these guys sell;

http://www.preformresources.com/Mustang-Body-Parts.htm

Here is a thread with some pictures that might give you some ideas;

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=fender+flares

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by allgosvo View Post
    I like it alot, which transaxle are you gonna use?
    The transaxle is going to be a Porsche G50 for many reasons.
    First the cost is reasonable considering everything
    Second is support for the gearbox. I can get custom ratios which will help in the different arenas this car will compete in.
    I found a company in Vegas that builds them to handle Chevy ls engines. All I can do is hope it can handle some serious power
    Lastly the g50 comes in 5 or 6 speed and they are almost identical in the case
    current : 2002 GT with terminator swap
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    2007 TL type S (beater car)
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post

Here is a thread with some pictures that might give you some ideas;

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=fender+flares

Jess
    I looked at the maier stuff, just seemed cheesy.
    No offense to anyone that has them.
    The imsa car I'm sort of following has the flares incorporated into the doors.
    Plus the imsa cars are about 4" wider in the nose, I will be doing this as well
    The whole back half of the cars bodywork will be reworked so it all will hinge or be removed like a clamshell.
    Basically, that means I have to build something strong to make this happen.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Where is New London PA? I'm near Philly...lol
    Sick build BTW
    I'm near Cecil county drags. New London is almost in Maryland
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedgirlsdoitbetter View Post
    I looked at the maier stuff, just seemed cheesy.
    No offense to anyone that has them.
    The imsa car I'm sort of following has the flares incorporated into the doors.
    Plus the imsa cars are about 4" wider in the nose, I will be doing this as well
    The whole back half of the cars bodywork will be reworked so it all will hinge or be removed like a clamshell.
    Basically, that means I have to build something strong to make this happen.
    The Maier stuff looks good in the 1.5" flares IMHO, but I never really cared for the look of the 3". The 1.5" is subtle enough that the flare is almost not noticeable until you look closely. The 3" flares just look out of shape to me and never looked "right".

Now if we weren't on opposite sides of the country and had met sooner, who knows what kind of trouble we both could have gotten into! Since I have a full set of fenders, quarters, front bumper, rear bumper, and door skins for an IMSA GTO / SCCA Trans Am Capri.

These are off a Tom Gloy Capri from 83/84 and have the exact shape and look you are going for. The door skins are NOS (if there really is such a thing for race cars/race parts ) as they have never been installed or even painted. As you stated the fender/quarter flares go onto to the door surface too in order to improve the aerodynamics and the overall look of the car. These are the same flares that were used up to 86 even on the Mustang versions of the IMSA/Trans Am cars when everyone switched from Mercury Capri's to the Ford Mustangs in 1985/86.

The fiberglass is easier to fabricate and lighter than most of the steel versions, but as you stated there can be cracking issues depending on how well the fiberglass is supported and how well they are reinforced. The pieces I have are complete, but do have some damage due to racing contact that I need to repair, but otherwise they are in very good shape except for the front bumpers which seem to have taken the brunt of the impacts.

Your method of doing the rear quarters is how I had planned on making a set myself until I finally found this set of original IMSA flares and couldn't pass up the chance to own them. If you do the full IMSA style, the most challenging will be the front and rear bumper covers as the IMSA/Trans Am units are widened compared to stock and its not as simple as just cutting the cover in half and filling in the center section (Don't ask how I know! )

Let me know if you need measurements, pictures, details, etc. on the flares as I tried for awhile duplicating them myself and although I got close, they never looked just right.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Now if we weren't on opposite sides of the country and had met sooner, who knows what kind of trouble we both could have gotten into! Since I have a full set of fenders, quarters, front bumper, rear bumper, and door skins for an IMSA GTO / SCCA Trans Am Capri.

Let me know if you need measurements, pictures, details, etc. on the flares as I tried for awhile duplicating them myself and although I got close, they never looked just right.

Trey
    Do you have any friends in the molding business? It would be cool to have the ability to make replacements!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The Maier stuff looks good in the 1.5" flares IMHO, but I never really cared for the look of the 3". The 1.5" is subtle enough that the flare is almost not noticeable until you look closely. The 3" flares just look out of shape to me and never looked "right".

These are off a Tom Gloy Capri from 83/84 and have the exact shape and look you are going for. The door skins are NOS (if there really is such a thing for race cars/race parts ) as they have never been installed or even painted. As you stated the fender/quarter flares go onto to the door surface too in order to improve the aerodynamics and the overall look of the car. These are the same flares that were used up to 86 even on the Mustang versions of the IMSA/Trans Am cars when everyone switched from Mercury Capri's to the Ford Mustangs in 1985/86.

The fiberglass is easier to fabricate and lighter than most of the steel versions, but as you stated there can be cracking issues depending on how well the fiberglass is supported and how well they are reinforced. The pieces I have are complete, but do have some damage due to racing contact that I need to repair, but otherwise they are in very good shape except for the front bumpers which seem to have taken the brunt of the impacts.

Your method of doing the rear quarters is how I had planned on making a set myself until I finally found this set of original IMSA flares and couldn't pass up the chance to own them. If you do the full IMSA style, the most challenging will be the front and rear bumper covers as the IMSA/Trans Am units are widened compared to stock and its not as simple as just cutting the cover in half and filling in the center section (Don't ask how I know! )

Trey
    Can I has them $$$?
    Mad Max - 1982 Mustang GT...at a road course near you

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Do you have any friends in the molding business? It would be cool to have the ability to make replacements!
    I have the skill and knowledge to make molds in order to make replacements, so that is not an issue. That was also the plan all along, but life, wife, kids, and job keep getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MackZilla View Post
    Can I has them $$$?
    No! Sorry!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Hot D*mn this is going to be great.

FEP Member

Mad skills is all I can say. You need your own TV show for this build.
    Very nice man.

Wow those body panels are nice. I guess you aren't interested in moving any of them? I could probably work with the front fenders and door skins.
    How about making some more? What's unique about these is that they are all seperate, I've seen some of this bodywork and it appears the entire side is one piece. Maybe I didn't see it right
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Wow those body panels are nice. I guess you aren't interested in moving any of them? I could probably work with the front fenders and door skins.
    How about making some more? What's unique about these is that they are all seperate, I've seen some of this bodywork and it appears the entire side is one piece. Maybe I didn't see it right
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

The original plan was to make molds so that I could replicate the panels for my own Road Racer. Unfortunately that hasn't happened as of yet. My plans were/are to repair the minor damage to the panels so that I can make molds of everything. Then I plan to restore the original panels back to their original paint and graphics to use as wall art in my shop. Then I can pop out some new panels to use for personal pleasure and not feel bad about using or possibly destroying a set of original Tom Gloy pieces. Save the Race History, but have all the benefits these panels offer.

My guess is that if you were looking at an a vintage car from the early to mid 80's then you might not have seen it correctly. All the cars that I have seen that were Gloy, Roush, and a few others used the same pieces and were put together the same way. Starting in 87 the cars changed a lot when they completely went to the full tube frame chassis. Since the early cars started as production bodies that were modified this arrangement made the most sense. The later cars being built much differently allowed them to go to rear sections that were one piece and even the same on the front too. The door areas were often 2 pieces with the lower rockers being separate from the upper.

I believe the door pieces could be modified and used as door skins on an original door to blend the front fenders and rear quarters and give the true IMSA/Trans Am look. Of course it will take some modifications and work, but I don't think that would be an issue for someone like yourself. The front fenders actually bolt on just like OEM in the engine bay, and only require some modifications for the bracing at the core support and the inner door area.

Send me a PM when you can and we can exchange information and maybe work something out that helps us both with our projects.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post

Jess
    Fiberglass Ford Mustang Body Kit (1979-93)

Four flared fenders to provide the tire clearance needed for SCCA racing. Fabricated from E-glass mat with isophthalic polyester resin, rated 220F. Bolt on the front fenders. Rear fenders (a.k.a. quarterpanels) may be glued on or mounted with your choice of fastener types. Smooth, sandable gray gelcoat.*

Fiberglass Ford Mustang Body Kit (1979-93)
    part# Mustang-100: * $850
    (photo)

Please call (313) 533-2457 or e-mail
    us so we can advise shipping cost.
    Last edited by conmech; 09-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Might have to look into this
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

conmech - aka Marshall

I contacted the guy a couple months ago about his SVO flares. I wanted to know if he had any other pictures of them installed. Surprisingly he said no. He said that everyone told him they would send pictures when the flares were installed, but never followed through.

To bad though, I was thinking that my '79 coupe could use a set. Without more pictures of finished installs, from different angles, I don't know if they would work for me.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Blog Entries

Wish I'd seen those SVO flares before I started on my body project. Damn!
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

So I made these roll cage gussets. Two slices from my dead washing machine a dewalt hole saw ( these are the best hole saws for the money ) and a simple die treatment. I may redo these with 1.5 inch dies, these are 1 inch.
    Opinions?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  64.7 KB
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Oh crap sorry my phone put the pic in upside down.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Bigger hole, a little more space between them, IMO
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
    Bigger hole, a little more space between them, IMO
    I think your right. This is my first go at these and the die set I bought is .5, .75 and 1"
    As I saw the result my body wanted to like them but my heart said they're a little off.
    Thanks for the feedback
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Oh crap sorry my phone put the pic in upside down.
    Lol...I was wondering what I was looking at, till I flipped the laptop over! Here it is right side up. Your Project is kick @ss, major kudos to you sir!
    Attachment 74684
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast