Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

I love the idea. Dare to be different. Cant wait to see more.
    95 Taurus SHO MTX-Sold. 92 Capri XR2 1.6 Turbo-Sold. 86 Mustang GT 5.0-Sold. 01 Focus ZX3-Sold.16 Focus SE 1.0L Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual-Daily 1978 Ford Fairmont I6 - Family Cruiser

don't crush them! rebuild her!!!!!!! good job.

Well its been a little bit and here's the update. I've made a roll around dolly so I can work on the lower portion of the body as well as create matching reference points from side to side. There are additional beams that go on the dolly that are parallel and level to each other. The reason for this is so I can take a measurement point on the left and then reproduce it on the right. As I am working on the lower portion of the door and quarter, I came up with the radius seen here in cardboard and duck tape. I have been looking at it for a few days and think I'm ready to move forward with the current lines. Opinions?Name:  002.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  88.5 KBName:  016.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  59.9 KB
    current : 2002 GT with terminator swap
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    2007 TL type S (beater car)
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

It looks like no widening will be done on the door, correct?
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

As Mike stated above it appears that very little widening will start on the doors. The issues I see with this is that due to the shear additional width you plan on adding to the rear (and I assume ultimately the front) the transition is very abrupt and tends to make the "Flares" just jump out or look a bit more "tacked" on to the car.

This is the same dilemma I have considered on my street replica of the Gloy/7-Eleven Trans Am cars. I like the Coke bottle shape more than a slab sided widened body, so part of me wants to have the flares taper into the original door skin, but the other part of me considers that it may be easier to just add the door skin onto the original doors that widen the whole car. Unfortunately I have not had any time to work on mine lately and not sure when I will have the change in the immediate future.

Although it's more work, I would seriously consider moving the start of the rear flare more towards the center of the door to allow for more of a taper or transition. That is unless you prefer the flares to just stay on the fenders and quarters. Essentially you have two different looks to consider as to what you like better.

This style is the widened fender/quarter with stock doors look.

Name:  7-Les-Werling-1981-Mercury-Capri.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  53.8 KB

This is a similar style although more of the early just rounded bulging fenders and quarters rather than trying to match body lines.

Name:  23649707_07.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  50.1 KB

Here is another option that I like a lot, although I believe you have widened your rear track more than this car, so again the transition will be more pronounced.

Name:  DSCN3328.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  DSCN3327.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  DSCN3347.JPG
Size:  103.3 KB

Finally the Trans Am/IMSA cars of the mid 80's with the fully widened boy including the doors.

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks like he's widening a good section of the doors, at least forward of the door handle by a few inches. I like it.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Looks like he's widening a good section of the doors, at least forward of the door handle by a few inches. I like it.
    +1

He definitely appears to have brought the flare inwards on the door probably 10" or so. This car is going to be killer when it hits the ground running!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

The flares start about a foot before the end of the door, the pic is on an angle do its deceiving Name:  013.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  58.5 KB
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom
    previous: 80 Cobra,86 GT (learned GT= great times) 93 Lightning,85 Capri RS, 73 coupe, 72 fastback, 3 turbo coupes

^ that's a better view, I see now. Looks good
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    +1

He definitely appears to have brought the flare inwards on the door probably 10" or so. This car is going to be killer when it hits the ground running!
    The proportions or the ratio of how wide over how long a distance is my point. Does he want a rapid flare that really jumps out at you like this.

Name:  25070600_N2cmw64R.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  88.7 KB

Or This

Name:  100_1091_1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  181.9 KB

Or does He want some that is just as wide, but not as abrupt like this:

Name:  n17xhu.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  42.7 KB

Or this:

Name:  Roush Mustang4.jpg
Size:  58.9 KB

Some like one style, some like the other style. Ultimately it's up to his decision and preferences.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedgirlsdoitbetter View Post
    The flares start about a foot before the end of the door, the pic is on an angle do its deceiving Name:  013.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  58.5 KB
    That is definitely a better angle and view of the flare. I would just recommend trying to get all of the flare covered and in one solid color. Then step back and view it from as many angles as possible to make sure it has the flow, flare, and shape that you want. It can be very hard to get a good feel for custom work like this without seeing it from different angles, views, and different vantage points. Often you will love the look from one angle, but from another it just doesn't work or look right.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Its definitely more gradual but it will never look exactly like the imsa car due to the bottom portion of the door on the imsa car doesn't tuck like the factory doors do. Fortunately its not a copy just similar.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Its definitely more gradual but it will never look exactly like the imsa car due to the bottom portion of the door on the imsa car doesn't tuck like the factory doors do. Fortunately its not a copy just similar.
    This is true, but you're telling me that you couldn't weld on a lower skirt/aero package to the doors to complete the look? Looking at what you've done so far, I find that hard to believe!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    This is true, but you're telling me that you couldn't weld on a lower skirt/aero package to the doors to complete the look? Looking at what you've done so far, I find that hard to believe!

Trey
    Funny you said that, I sat there for a while and thought about doing that. I am planning on having intakes in the lower corner of the door which would carry through the quarter and into the turbos. It may change the whole look but I want to follow function first. I wish I had a wind tunnel to see which way would flow better into the intakes, that would make this minor detail easier for me to make a decision.
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Funny you said that, I sat there for a while and thought about doing that. I am planning on having intakes in the lower corner of the door which would carry through the quarter and into the turbos. It may change the whole look but I want to follow function first. I wish I had a wind tunnel to see which way would flow better into the intakes, that would make this minor detail easier for me to make a decision.
    I think I would look at doing a NACA duct on the quarter windows for air flow to the turbos. I don't think normally you would have a good ram air affect down on the side skirts that would really supply enough outside air to be beneficial.

The other concern is that air flow that low on the car can easily pick up debris, dirt, etc. that can clog air filters and damage turbos and internal engine parts if it gets past the filters. I would prefer my air flow to come from as high up on the car as possible. You could possible use a duct down there as a brake cooling duct if you want that look, although not period correct it would be a good source for the brakes.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I think I would look at doing a NACA duct on the quarter windows for air flow to the turbos.
    Trey
    Did mine this way, seems to be working well.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Thanks for the input, this really helps me. Trey, your absolutely correct it would be stupid of me to not modify the door. Also, good point on the intake, I may just do a small intake to serve as brake cooling. I went back last night and added this panel template. I like it better as it softened that bottom line.

Name:  86GT.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  86GT2.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  95.2 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-17-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Corrected Pictures
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

Crap sorry about the pics. iPhone is at it again. I'll fix it later
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

...I wish I had a wind tunnel...
    You could set up a couple of large standing fans and use a plastic squirt bottle with baby powder to simulate some wind/airflow over the car to check intake placement. Set the fans back from the car, directly in front of the nose, and running on the highest setting. Squirt the baby power into the wind while a video camera records the flow pattern.

Granted, this method is by no means accurate for high-speed wind-tunnel testing, but it will give you an idea of what the flow patterns might look like.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Moose, that's a really good idea! I will give that a try after I do the fender area.
    Thank you
    1986 LX t-top
    2002 F150 FX4
    1998 R1 custom

My pleasure. I'm glad I could contribute something to your project.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

I am not sure how much information you can really gain with some stationary fans, unless they are some really big and powerful fans. You can definitely give it a try, but I wouldn't put too much stock in any information you learn. I would use it as advisory or limited at best.

I would also recommend that rather than using the baby powder, I would recommend using small pieces of string or very light weight plastic tape (either of them brightly colored), cut pieces around 2-3 inches in length and then tape them down to the areas of the body that you want to check. Turn the fans on and watch the airflow by how the strings/tapes are moving. This allows you to view for a much longer time and even take pictures of the areas if you want.

I know you are still in the fabrication stage and not really in a drive able state, but if you can hold off on installing/fabricating your NACA ducts and brake ducts until the car moves under it's own power, you can do the wind/string test with the car on the street or race track at actual speeds. Many grassroots racers use these same tricks to sort out aero pieces on their own without the use of a wind tunnel. If you have a Go-Pro or other type of sports camera, you can mount that in areas you want to verify and attach all the strings/tapes as needed then go out and make a lap or a couple of miles at speed and see what the "Tale of the Tape" is! You could try the same thing with the vehicle on a trailer, but the tow vehicle is going to alter the wind flow and put you into more of a drafting state that a normal driving/racing state.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Maybe a barn/agricultural fan, like one of these.

This one was in a Tractor supply store. My daughter liked it. I bet is could be used to keep your garage cool too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

nice.
    84 5.0 ( currently restoring)
    86 Toyota 4x4
    02 Lexus is300

I have a fan just like that from when I had my shop. They do move large amounts of air, but not at high speeds. So they could be useful for some general air flow, but still won't be the same as say 60 MPH on the interstate or a race track.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller