Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default 86 gt supercar build page (can't find a catchy name, so its a horse with no name)

Welcome to the build page for my budget homebuilt Mustang supercar. Most of the people I have encountered have the same set of questions so I'd like to get them out of the way first. Top question... why? I have been doing Mustangs for decades and have had a few of them grace the pages of various publications, somehow it never seemed to scratch that itch. I always felt I could do better. I wanted to do something no one has done before and have it perform like no other production "based" Mustang. As I thought and remembered how tough it is to get traction and handle as well as going really fast, I thought the basic body was literally the only thing I could retain. Even the body will need modification to work well in the air at extreme high speed. I love these cars but lets face it, they are sort of bricks in the wind! Next question always fielded is what do I intend to do with it? The bucket list for this car is #1 SEMA, that event should really kick things off for her and I believe she will fit there. From there I hope to enter her in the Silver State Classic, a 90 mile no speed limit road rally that looks like a ton of fun. Next we want to go for the street legal class record at Texas Mile. Last checked it was around 265mph. Why not!!!
    It will then be used for track days at various road courses. I would like to be in competition but where could it be placed?
    So here is the outline of how I saw this happening, an ingredients list if you will.
    1- 86 t-top lx 5.0 car
    2- rear suspension from an 06 Z06 (purists relax, I would have like to use Ford GT components but 1 control arm =$1500) I'm poor!!
    3- front suspension from 06 base model C6 (read above!! base model because I wanted to upgrade brake system from there)
    4- Afco M2 coil over shocks
    5- 2002 GT dashboard ( because its obdII compatible and I think they look great)
    6- 5.0 Coyote engine (originally was going to be a 4.6 dohc but the Coyote is 2'' shorter end to end and I believe a better platform from which to grow)
    7- Porsche G50 gearbox (because of the available support and it comes in 5 or 6 speed versions. There are companies that make beefed up components to handle the torque)
    8- Custom engineered and fabricated frame to accommodate suspension and powertrain
    Spend countless hours making all these things work together and whalaa!!! you have a Mustang that will do things it never thought about doing!!
    Here are a few pics of where it came from and where it is today. I'll give a brief description on each.
    Name:  photo 4 (3).jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  80.5 KBName:  photo 5 (3).jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  85.7 KB

This is how she looked as given to me by a guy named Bobby. His buddy was storing the car and what a day that was picking her up. Drunk angry guy in the back woods of Milford De, I'm there with my whole family at the end of a beach weekend, and the guy is freaking out cause I'm there. An hour later he comes out of the woods with my baby!!! My wife looks at me and goes your INSANE, I've been here for an hour waiting for this!! She's a diamond in the rough!! real rough!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

So the above pics are after a good cleanup and cleanout. I set up the car on subframe dollies and got busy with a plasma cutter to remove the rear pan and parts of the uni-body. The 2x2 box is welded into place to temporarily support the weakened rockers.

Next, I scoured the internet as normal and came up with the rear suspension setup. You will learn, I do everything I can to save on cost so everything I bought so far is from ebay, craigslist and local swapmeets like Carlisle. Z06 setup with brakes arrived for the relatively cheap $1500 and some measuring and research I did a mock-up with wood because its easier to cut and work with before finally transferring to steel.Name:  Chris's Pics 044.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  85.1 KBName:  Chris's Pics 049.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  95.2 KBName:  Chris's Pics 078.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  65.1 KBName:  Chris's Pics 081.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  48.3 KB

What an interesting build. Subscribing. Good luck with your goals, they are quite lofty. Power adder plans?
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

I don't have any pics but the wooden mock-up rails served as a template and I used my steel workbench as a jig table to make the rails out of steel. I was very pleased with the result. From there, I could begin reconstruction with the rails going into the carName:  Chris's Pics 083.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  77.9 KBName:  Chris's Pics 085.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  88.7 KBName:  Chris's Pics 099.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  84.3 KB

Oh yes, I will run either twin turbos or a very large blower. I am looking for around 1500 hp

At this point of the build, I'm about a year into it and I now bought a comp engineering 12 point cage and used some of the prebent components and modified the rest to suit my needsName:  Chris's Pics 104.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  70.4 KBName:  Chris's Pics 119.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  80.3 KBName:  Chris's Pics 124.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  69.5 KBName:  Chris's Pics 146.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  98.5 KBName:  Chris's Pics 151.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  55.2 KB. Somewhere in there I made the engine mount tabs and acquired a Teksid block engine which was going to be used but now is just for mock-up

more later.... duty calls!! Sorry if I'm boring anyone

Blog Entries

After seeing the initial pic, I can't see where even the purest of purists could complain. That car was destined to be a pile of moss-covered iron oxide. I think pretty much anyone would rather see the car get a shot at being a wild and crazy project car than just rot away. Definitely looking forward to seeing this get completed.

That is nuts! You have mad skills!! I hope you complete this thing! Props for sticking with ford power!

Any plans to flare the fenders so you can fit a fat set of wheels and tires? Kinda like the old Foxbody IMSA race cars?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Subscribing! I have been dreaming of a rear engine fox mustang for years now. Looking forward to the progress and pictures.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Looks like it will be tight in the driver area. Looking forward to watching this!!
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Just when I thought I had seen about everything I see this build. I plan on some of the same venues in the future myself soI will be sure to look twice at any fellow four eyes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Any plans to flare the fenders so you can fit a fat set of wheels and tires? Kinda like the old Foxbody IMSA race cars?
    The car is slated to be similar to the imsa style cars from 86, specifically the road course body. Believe it or not they mad e the bodies a little different for superspeedway use. I am planning on using Boze alloys in a 20x15 size on the back. I will be posting more recent photos soon but I am currently working on the bodywork. its kinda like banging my head against a wall because I am not a body/fender guy.

Awesome, I am so glad you are on this site. I just found out on IG. I talked with you a couple times at the AM show about the car, at least tried too. Both times, other people would barge in and start talking over top of me. I was really interested to get to know more about the car and your plans, as this build really interests me.

As I said, this car was one of the coolest cars at the show and its not even close to being done. So just to see something like this being built is cool.

Good luck and I will be watching. Next year my heap will be at AM show, hopefully we can discuss your build more!
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Epic!
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 69clark View Post
    Awesome, I am so glad you are on this site. I just found out on IG. I talked with you a couple times at the AM show about the car, at least tried too. Both times, other people would barge in and start talking over top of me. I was really interested to get to know more about the car and your plans, as this build really interests me.

As I said, this car was one of the coolest cars at the show and its not even close to being done. So just to see something like this being built is cool.

Good luck and I will be watching. Next year my heap will be at AM show, hopefully we can discuss your build more!
    Dude that pace car is bad ass. Sorry people were rude at the am show!! Was your car there?

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

WOW i admire your dedication to this platform! The Fox Mustang is probably the least ideal car for a build like this but mann this is beyond sick! I am keeping a close eye on this thread
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

So as we continue here, I just needed to change gears a bit and moved to the face of the car. Saw this kinda newer Saleen mash up bumper cover and just impulse bought it. The hood is all for function and came up with this. I've back burnered the hood as I think I want to do it as a 2" cowl. The other thing I learned is those imsa cars were sort of radiused through the fender area which would do the same to the hood. I'm really on the fence about doing this to mine. The job list is endless already and I'm the only one on this so its a big decisionName:  Chris's Pics 168.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  55.9 KB

I remember that nose being for sale years back. I believe the called it the Colt. Almost bought one, but I didn't because it was fiberglass. At the time I figured I would drive the car more than I have.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

The next area to be attended to was the front suspension. Having been pleased with the rear setup, I felt it was obvious to use Corvette suspension up front. I look at it this way, their boys have been using our suspensions for decades, I can borrow the only thing I think is worth borrowing. Also, its the most cost effective way to get road race worth components that have tons of support ie. aftermarket upgrades. It wasn't until later that I learned how much those upgrades cost. holy crap!! Anyway, the front went real well, The subframe has locating dowls, and after squaring them up the rest went real smooth. I was able to drill the Mustangs frame and get her level and then make the upper a-arm mount from 2x4, melt the roll cage into it and boom we're rolling. The last pic is what happened in my backyard while I was doing this!!! brrrrrName:  Chris's Pics 277.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  78.1 KBName:  Chris's Pics 280.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  97.5 KBName:  Chris's Pics 282.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  74.3 KBName:  Chris's Pics 286.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  83.9 KBName:  Chris's Pics 287.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  97.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedgirlsdoitbetter View Post
    Dude that pace car is bad ass. Sorry people were rude at the am show!! Was your car there?
    Thanks, no worries, people seem to always do that to me, I'm used to it, lol. Just wanted to pick you brain a bit. I was excited seeing it.

My car wasn't there, but it will be next year.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Neither here nor there

Welcome and looking forward to seeing the progress on this one as well!

That nose looks to be a "Duraflex" bumper cover, from what we have all seen they are less then stellar in the "fitment" category, but what does it hurt to try and see what you can do with it

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast