Close

Default Front Control Arms

Hello all,
    I was just wondering if all fox bodies use the same front control arms? I have an 84 gt 5.0. I have heard two different things. The first being that 79-86 mustangs have different control arms than the later years. The second thing I have heard is that all foxes use the same front control arms. Any info would be appreciated!

79-93 control arms do interchange. The bushings are different for different suspension packages over the years (some firmer, some softer) and the later ones had low friction ball joints, but they all interchange. I just changed the bushings and ball joints in my original arms.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Yep, control arms are all the same '79 to '93. It's the spindles that changed. And would you believe NO ONE was making them for a while? Now, you can get 2 different options at Late Model Restoration.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks for the info guys. I was just curious because I was thinking of doing a 5 lug swap so I can use Saleen S style wheels. The kit I found on ebay says I must use front control arms off an 87-93 v8 car. I was fairly certain all the control arms were all the same so this did not make sense to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-90-91-92-...94441a&vxp=mtr

Yeah that ad has been brought up here before. No need to change your arms, and the seller is probably discouraging buyers with that comment too!

For what it is worth, I hate those calipers. They have a bad habit of developing sticking pistons as I have found out on my 2004 GT. 99-04 spindles are also not the best choice for a Fox Mustang. They'll push your wheels out further and create bumpsteer issues with your car with a stock K member.
    Last edited by Travis T; 08-20-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Fox Continentals and SVOs use different front control arms and some '87/'88 T-birds use Sn95 length front control arms. Otherwise, if you stick with Fox Mustang (non-SVO) front A-arms, they're all the same length.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

The primary issue when switching to the sn95 spindle on a pre-87 v8 car is the different k-member pickups. The 86 and earlier v8 cars have the a-arm pickups .5" further inboard per side than the later v8 cars. When combined with the sn95 spindle which has a different geometry, the earlier K causes the loss of nearly all negative camber. Some of this can be recovered by use of c-c plates but in my personal experience, this only gained stock settings; would not allow competition settings. I had to use the sn95 arms which are 1.25" longer than the Fox a-arm.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    The primary issue when switching to the sn95 spindle on a pre-87 v8 car is the different k-member pickups. The 86 and earlier v8 cars have the a-arm pickups .5" further inboard per side than the later v8 cars. When combined with the sn95 spindle which has a different geometry, the earlier K causes the loss of nearly all negative camber. Some of this can be recovered by use of c-c plates but in my personal experience, this only gained stock settings; would not allow competition settings. I had to use the sn95 arms which are 1.25" longer than the Fox a-arm.
    Yeah, for the record, my c/c plates are bottomed out to get factory setting negative camber. I have a QA1 87-93 K-member.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual