Close

Default Question regarding quality of aftermarket quarter panels

Good morning all. I was recently informed by a member of the forum that he understood the aftermarket quarter panels that are available for our cars to be of questionable quality. Specifically, he mentioned that the body lines aren't very well defined. Has anybody purchased or seen these (for example, the ones from Jegs, or anywhere else, really)? What was your impression of the quality and appearance? I need to replace the quarters on my 79 Cobra before paint, so I'm curious whether to use aftermarket or try to find used ones in good condition (which could be a big challenge, I'm sure). Thanks!

My only experience with aftermarket body parts was I bought an 84 GT that had an aftermarket front fender on it. The fender was so thin that it cracked around a mounting holed on the front edge and onto the outside part of the fender on top. Personally, I go for used original parts when I can. How much of the quarters do you need?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Fenders are usually Ok.

However, I used an aftermarket on my Q-panel on my 82 resto project. The stamping of the body lines were not the same as the original panel. The lines were more rounded and not as crisp. I believe the panels came from Rock Auto. Note that they are not full quarter panels, just the lower skin. Here is the picture of the part from the RA web site:

And here is the part installed on my car:

Close up of the body lines:

It's not horrible and certainly better than what I ended up cutting off the car.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    How much of the quarters do you need?
    I'm looking to replace the skins. The real trouble is, like with most, about 2/3 of the wheel well edge. It's been hit with some serious bondo and is all sorts of lumpy.

JTurbo, it was you who informed about the body lines. I do see what you mean. Does it become barely noticeable once molding pieces are on?

Are you replacing because of damage, or rust?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Default Question regarding quality of aftermarket quarter panels

Removed
    Last edited by Tracer; 01-21-2016 at 04:18 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

FEP Power Member

A lot of these aftermarket panels are sourced from China. This has been so common due to the price I've even busted dealerships putting this substandard stuff on new cars. The fit and finish will not be as good as O.E.M and usually requires additional bodywork to make it look right. It's not a bad idea to undercoat it with something before you put a panel on because this metal is not as good. Just don't put an undercoat near an area where it has to be welded on.

Ok, very useful information. I'm replacing due to what I have to assume is rust. It was repaired and painted about 12-13 years ago. You can see the lumps at the top edge of the wheel well from their repairs.