Close

Default Convertible to notch conversion

Hey guys. Ive got an 86 vert that is getting to the point where it needs a top and some window work. The car is low miles and really solid. Ive got a ton of work in this car and it has some sentimental value as well. Its went from 15 sec car down to a 10 sec car over the last 8 years ive owned it. Ive been kicking around the idea of converting it to a notch for a while and I stumbled up the perfect donor car and I have decided im gonna do it this winter. Ive been searching for days for all of the info and pics I can find. Ive seen the pics a video from chris gish's car on yellowbullet and that has given me some good info. Of anybody has done this and/or has any info or pics on it it woild be greatly appreciated.

I have built multiple convertible "Phantom Conversion" cars (Not Mustangs) over the years and am VERY familiar with the metal work, time and ability needed to do "Roof" conversions. In case you are wondering what I mean by "Phantom Conversion" cars these were cars that never existed in a convertible roof form from the OEM manufacturer. All were completed with working folding tops just as the OEM would have done. I have also replace a roof or two on an early Mustang.

Since you already have the "Perfect Donor Car" (your words) and want to go from a convertible to a coupe then I suggest you just swap all your go fast goody parts over to the coupe. Much Easier, Much Cheaper AND you can always swap back all your go fast goodies to the convertible when you get tired of the coupe. Can the conversion you desire be done? Absolutely! But WHY?

Four Eye Mustang Coupes and Aero Mustang coupes are WAY TO CHEAP to buy to even consider a convertible to coupe conversion such as you have suggested. I say that not even worrying about all the mods you may have made to the convertible to make it go 10 seconds. You can do the same mods cheaper and easier than a convertible to coupe conversion and have a car at the end of the day that has value when you decide to sell!
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-18-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

To do this you would need to take the a pillars off the convertible. The windshield on verts has a different rake than coupes. It will be cheaper to replace the top.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The donor car has the frontend from the shock towers forward hacked off for some reason. My car is very solid and I have a lot of work in it now. I cant say for sure because I have never done this conversion but I would be willing to bet that I would have a lot more work in starting over with a new car. Again I cant say for sure but acvording to the other article I read from a guy who did this, the windshield rake was the same, however I would splice it in the pillars. Vintage racer do you have any pictures of your conversions? Specificaly of the trunk/ rear quarter area?

Maybe someone makes a fiberglass top silmilar to convertible vettes and 2 seat t-birds.

Not really looking for a fiberglass top. I want to make my car a notch. I was trying to see if anyone had any info or pics on foing this. I plan to document it all when I do it. Im not saying it will be easy but, its what I want for the car. I coild get anpther top put on but with the car getting faster and faster I dont know how often it will be an issue. On top of that there has only been a few times I have actually enjoyed driving it with the top down. Its just become more of a hassle for me.

I looked here but no Fox Mustang version..... http://www.smoothline.com/

I myself would not do it.....way to much involved but if you have the skill to work with metal it would be a cool project.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

By changing everything over to a coupe instead of modifying your vert it will also be lighter. The good part about the verts IMHO is that thought they do weigh more, when the top is down you are putting more weight over the rear tires which is good for traction.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yea I would really like to get the car under 3000lbs street weight. Your probably right about the vert weight but I dont ever race with the top down.

I'll weigh in and say I think the notch conversion is a cool idea! I read about that guy in the Mustang magazine (can't remember which one) that did it, and I was amazed! Post a build thread for sure!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

If you do a Google search, there was a discussion forum that references a YouTube video with a Fox convertible/coupe conversion as the topic. I'm at work, so I can't check out the video, but you could try searching for it and see what comes up.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

The video is of chris gish's car. That is the one that was in the magazine. Its a sweet vid but it is timelapsed on a camera from one angle. Hard to see what he did in the trunk area but I did get aome ideas from it.

There is a discussion about it from 2012 on another forum. I'd mention the forum's name, but because of issues surrounding that venue and FEP members, I suggest a Google search for more info.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

foxresto has convertible top kit on sale for $400.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

i'd like to see the results, as this sounds like a really cool project. but if you're mechanically inclined enough to tackle a project like this, you most likely will have an easy time installing a new vert top. just saying.

do you plan on converting the interior as well? you're going to free up a lot of room once the convertible stuff is out of the car.

Yea I am gonna have to start a build thread. I have the notch all cut apart already. I scored a set of newer doors, quarter windows, interior pieces and trim. I wont know for sure exactly where I am going to seam it untill I get the vert tore apart. Not sure I want to start that untill I know im done driving it for the year. I am not a body guy so I wil probably need some help with the finish work but I dont think that its gonna be that bad. I am planning on it taking most of yhe winter as I dont have a lot of free time.

Looks like it is getting real now.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post

I myself would not do it.....way to much involved but if you have the skill to work with metal it would be a cool project.
    Well, lookie here: https://www.smoothline.com/mustang

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post

Well, lookie here: https://www.smoothline.com/mustang

Quote Originally Posted by bgettel View Post
    Cool....I guess it was just a matter of time before they made them for Mustang's.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Pretty ugly looking imho. Why dont you just make the hardtop removable
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132