Close

FEP Member

Default Misfire getting worse

Hey guys! I finally got my '86 on the road a couple weeks ago. I ended up pulling all the wiring back apart and cleaned everything up nice, and it fired right up! Car ran amazing for about a week, then started misfiring a little bit. Ever since then, it's gotten progressively worse. I thought maybe I was crossfiring 1/3 and/or 5/6, so I rerouted the plug wires. Car ran perfect again for about ten minutes, then started bucking harder than ever. Now it's misfiring randomly and fairly often, at least once every few seconds. Occasionally it'll string a few together, fire again a couple times, then die. Sometimes ("sometimes" being the key word) mashing the throttle will clear it up, but it's always back as soon as I let off the gas.

What has been done recently:
    Salt and pepper 10-pins cleaned up. Continuity checked through all wires in the harnesses. Grounds checked.
    Double and triple checked the timing. I believe the balancer is accurate. Set at 14* on ethanol-free 93 octane.
    Changed the fuel filter/added injector cleaner.
    Rebuilt the distributor with a new PIP and TFI module a couple months ago.
    New IAC, which cleared up a hanging idle issue I was having.
    New plugs. No change.
    Regapped them to .052 (they were pregapped to something like .040). No difference.
    New plug wires (one of the wires had a crack in the insulation). No appreciable difference.
    Did the nighttime wireset check. Didn't see any shorts/arcing, even when it was obviously misfiring.
    New ignition coil. Same story, no change.
    Injectors all seem to function. When I spin the distributor by hand (out of then engine), I can hear them all clicking.

Only codes that showed up had to do with various pieces of smog equipment being deleted (car has no smog pump, EGR, cats). Anybody have an idea what it could be, and is there anything else I can do to check other buying a crapload of noid lights and spark plug testers?
    '86 Mustang GT T-top. GT40P swap, Maximum Motorsports subframe/coilovers, MGW shifter
    (RIP) '86 Mustang GT, T-top. Cipher's old car
    '91 Wrangler. 4.0, 5 speed, 8.8 swapped, locked, lifted, caged
    -Steve

distributor cap have a crack? Rotor inside look clean? Track vacuum lines to look for leaks?

FEP Member

I'll double check the cap. I don't remember any splits though. There was a bit of corrosion on the contacts for the cap and rotor button, but I scrubbed it with some steel wool. When I rebuilt the distributor and re-sensored it, I cleaned everything out pretty well.

I'l check the lines, but there aren't too many. Just the line to the charcoal canister, the PCV, and the line to the vacuum tree. Everything else is capped off.
    '86 Mustang GT T-top. GT40P swap, Maximum Motorsports subframe/coilovers, MGW shifter
    -Steve

How clean is the tank?

FEP Member

When the previous owner took it off the road, he emptied the gas tank. Like, took it out and dumped the gas, then reinstalled. Haven't looked in there myself, but I don't doubt it. I've changed the fuel filter about six months ago when I was trying to get it running (it was very clogged), and again yesterday. This filter looked pretty clean and flowed well. Also, it didn't run any different with the tank full or empty.
    -Steve

FEP Member

Bought a new cap and rotor for gits and shiggles. I must have knocked the old one out of spec when I cleaned the contacts, because it runs perfect now.
    Last edited by sm41; 08-14-2014 at 01:29 AM.
    -Steve

Checked the fuel pressure?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Power Member

When you cleaned your distributor cap contacts with steel wool fine pieces left in there might have caused arcing. After using steel wool on different things and blowing it out with compressed air I would still find traces of it on things. Plus it magnetizes itself and sticks to metal parts that way. Next time use fine sandpaper. Glad you got it fixed though.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Checked the fuel pressure?
    All good at 40 lbs. I think we're good now.

And I'll keep that in mind 84GT. Thanks.
    -Steve

Good you got it working. Just for grins, take a close look at the rotor. I've seen them crack around
    where they go on the shaft, which then allows a very convenient path to ground.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Glad you got it up and running again. Thought it was worth a shot telling you that as it happened to me once with a brand new cap.