Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yep, engine is still in the car, that wasn't really the problem, the clutch cable was a bit in the way though. That and I chopped my arms up putting it in and yanking it out so many times.

No idea how it works out yet, the car is still up on jack stands waiting for some new pads to come in (this is the last stage of the great suspension/braking system rebuild), the ones that came in the calipers are likely ultra-cheapies plus the rivets holding the keeper in place failed on the pas side, which on a PBR means you have a problem.

In the past when doing SN95 brakes we always kept the stock booster, never really had an issue with that. But Jack @ MM did point out that the 93 booster does provide a bit more boost on top of being a little more linear. Works out for me, I like a touchy hard pedal (1" MC).

Thanks for the info. I may tackle the booster swap this week.

Bummer on the pads, better to catch it now.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    I decided to punish myself by finally doing a 93 booster in my 86, and unlike Trey, mine took a a lot of persuasion with a 4lb sledge. I spent a couple of weekend getting the damn thing into place. First I notched the top left hole a bit, that wasn't even close to enough to get the job done. After that, hammer-time! Beat on it a bit, check clearance, beat a bit more, check clearance - rinse and repeat.
    I never said it didnt' take a lot of persuasion to fit the booster to my 85. I just said, I didn't remember it taking AS MUCH as my 79. I just know that I don't have any plans to do it again anytime soon. I will make the stock size booster work, go hydroboost, or manual before I attempt another 93 Cobra Booster swap. That or I will do a lot of studying of the 93 strut tower to see how to modify my tower to make it fit.

Or Wait! This might be the perfect excuse for the full SLA front suspension mod and removal of the strut towers!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FWIW, on my 86 I had a similar problem when I did my Cobra front swap (already had SSBC/TC rear discs). I kept my stock booster and SVO M/C (yeah, that 1-1/8" piston monster). It was not as hard/short pedal as I expected based upon all the research. However, I could not lock them despite the use of Hawk HPS pads. After discussing with a number of brake experts, I swapped to the 93 Cobra M/C (1" piston) and retained the stock booster. Still no lock. Turns out that the banjo bolt I was using on the front was a tad too long. This caused a fluid restriction on the front which affected the whole system. I bought shorter banjo bolts and all is good. May not have needed to swap M/Cs at all.

Good info, thanks! I will look into that. After getting a few miles on my new rotors they do seem to grab a little better, i can lock the fronts up with a lot of effort. Still cant get the rear to lock up even with full pressure to the rear. I wonder if the banjo bolt may be an issue in the rear. I get good flow when bleeding them, but there may still be enough of a restriction that its causing an issue.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12