Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unfortunately, I put off acquiring pipe to make something to put the air filter on. I have no way to mount the air filter right now, except for directly on the turbo, but I don't know if I have room for that or not. Once I get that, and the safety inspection, I can put the ol' GoPro to use.
    Brian Leavitt
    '86 TC 5-Speed -- LA3 - no ACT | Big VAM | T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller +4 degrees| Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Gillis @17psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear | '03 Cobra Wheels | Working on installing MS2x w/COP
    '87 TC 5-Speed -- Stock
    '66 Mustang Coupe -- Stock

Nice job Brian! I'm sure that was a good feeling when she fired to life after all this time. I'm sure you will be itching to get her finished up and ready to lay some rubber down.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I am definitely itching to get it back out on the road. I went for a little midnight tuning drive Sunday night and all went well. This car is so much tighter than the '87, it's ridiculous. I'm off to get a safety inspection in the morning so hopefully It'll be all legal again after that.
    Brian Leavitt
    '86 TC 5-Speed -- LA3 - no ACT | Big VAM | T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller +4 degrees| Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Gillis @17psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear | '03 Cobra Wheels | Working on installing MS2x w/COP
    '87 TC 5-Speed -- Stock

Safety inspection went well and I've been driving it ever since - turning on Auto Tune every time I drive. I'm not at the point where I can really get on it, yet. I't feels good up to 10 psi, but I haven't gone over that. Ultimate goal for the immediate future is 20psi. I'm taking it slow getting to that point.
    Brian Leavitt
    '87 TC 5-Speed -- Stock

I have to update my signature!

I was running 20 psi successfully, and without any sign of detonation, but I went and mixed things up. Swapped out the manual boost controller and a pierburg valve. I had it working great at 15psi, but I upped it to 18 and now it "wobbles" when it hits the target boost level. Goes between 17 and 19.5. I was able to tame it to some degree. Initially it was hitting the 22psi boost cutoff limit I had set. More work ahead, but at least I know the overboost limiter is working well! Other than that, the car has been running awesome. Quicker than is has ever been.

There have been hiccups, though. Nothing related to the MS, at least. I sheared the roll pin in the distributor. Replaced it with a stronger one, but then my timing belt took a dump. It's been fine since I fixed that. I'm hoping to get the car to Carlisle this year. I missed last year...
    Brian Leavitt
    '87 TC 5-Speed -- Stock

Awesome update...minus the few setbacks! Glad to see you are out and about enjoying it. Still waiting on the GoPro video.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Dang did I say I was going to take video? I've been so busy lately I barely remember to dress before leaving the house in the morning! Once I get this boost control dialed in I'll try to remember to get some video. I don't drive the '86 much. Typically only on some weekends nowadays - mainly because it's a pain to swap the car seats. I'm doing some painting in the engine compartment at the moment, with the paint I had left over from painting the '87.
    Brian Leavitt
    '87 TC 5-Speed -- Stock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12