Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 1979 Mustang Cobra restoration

I have been working on my pride and joy for abouth 8 months now and i figured ive got enough photos to start a restoration thread to show you guys some of the progress ive made. Little background on the car for you guys.. i have been around this car for the past 11 years(since i was 14) and have been dying to have it, but never could make it work out.. My best friend purchased it from the original owner, who is his uncle when we were 14 years old. unfortunately my buddy never got to really drive the car when we turned 16 because insurance was so high, and then he somewhat lost interest in the car, so it sat in the back of his parents shop majority of the time. The car was originally sold in Charlotte NC and has made its way about 40 mins from Charlotte and been there ever since. Long story short on 12/20/2013 my wife surprised me with the car by purchasing it from my bestfriend for my Christmas present. Here are some photos of the car the day the smoke bomb rolled into my garage. Name:  cobra motor before.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  95.9 KBName:  cobra day 1.1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  65.9 KBName:  cobra day 1.2.jpg
Size:  32.2 KBName:  cobra day 1.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  70.3 KB

As you can see by the attached pics, the car was covered in dust... dirt dobbers were in the door jambs, and the pony wheels had seen better days. Under the awful cowl hood that was on the car was a very dirty motor.

Name:  cobra motor after.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  103.1 KBName:  cobra turbines.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  66.4 KB

So i started cleaning the car up and took the cowl hood off(original hood came with the car), and put these wheels on the car until i could get my hands on a new set of wheels and tires. The pony wheels and tires that came on the car were in rough shape and would not hold air, so atleast these wheels and tires would. drained all the fluids out and added fresh gas and fluids and she was running up and down the road...... stopping the car was another story... i felt like fred flintstone, so i knew that would be next on the list of things to do.

I think your wife & the car are keepers..lol...Congrats on getting it....
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Name:  chrome pony.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  92.2 KBName:  cobra ponys on.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  138.1 KB

Got a set of Chrome pony wheels from late model resto and added a set of staggered tires to them, they did alot for the looks of this car.. except now the car looked like it had a 2 inch lift kit on it, so i added suspension to my upcoming brake job.

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    I think your wife & the car are keepers..lol...Congrats on getting it....
    Haha thanks man, i agree

Name:  cobra susp.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  51.4 KBName:  cobra brake 1.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  56.4 KBName:  cobra brake 1.2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  49.0 KBName:  cobra brake 1.3.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  63.1 KBName:  cobra brake1.1.jpg
Size:  51.3 KB

So i picked up some new suspension and brake goodies and went to work.. I added new KYB shocks and struts, SVE Lowering springs, SVE caster camber kit, new power steering pump, new TRW power steering rack, tie rod ends, SVE rear upper and lower control arms, new rotors and pads up front, new drums in rear, new master cylinder, and bled the lines with some fresh brake fluid.. After all of this the car drives and stops 20 times better... couldnt believe the difference it made. Before the steering had tons of play and every bump in the road felt terrible.

Name:  cobra lowered 1.1.jpg
Size:  77.9 KBName:  cobra lowered.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  104.1 KBName:  cobra underneath.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  79.5 KBName:  cobra.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  124.7 KB

So here is some pics of the new stance after all the new goodies were installed... Stance is much better now. One of the shots is underneath the car, that exhaust is 8 years old and is holding up great. the car has 52k miles on it, and underneath shows it by how clean it is... no rust anywhere.

Name:  cobra interior1.1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  59.9 KBName:  cobra backseat.jpg
Size:  95.7 KBName:  cobra door.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  84.5 KBName:  cobra interior 1.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  72.7 KBName:  cobra interior.jpg
Size:  98.3 KB

Here are a few pics to show the interior.. interior is in great shape, has the original 8-track still in the car, and it works. all i had to do was take a rag and wipe everything down good and cleaned the vinyl seats with mothers vinyl cleaner and it did the trick.

Name:  gt40p heads 1.1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  44.6 KBName:  gt40p heads 1.2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  90.6 KBName:  gt40p heads 1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  40.1 KBName:  gt40p heads.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  49.6 KB

i was going to wait until the winter to do my engine bay/motor overhaul, so i started collecting parts for the upcoming project.. i was able to collect them alot quicker than expected so i am actually taking on this project now.. I decided to go with a budget build on my new heads instead of going with alum heads... i picked up a set of ported gt40p heads w all new springs and seals, cam, intake, gaskets, roller rockers, timing chain, oil pump, oil pan, water pump, radiator w dual electric fans, hose kit, all new battery wires and cables, alternator, gas tank, and im sure im missing a few other odd and end parts for this top end project. pictured above are the gt40p heads after i painted them ford blue and set the new ford racing valve covers on them.

Mercy! That is some kind of sweet. Luv the stance.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    Mercy! That is some kind of sweet. Luv the stance.
    thank you, just got word from marti auto yesterday that i should have my elite marti report in the next 7-10 days. will post as soon as it arrives.

Awesome car. Congrats!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Great looking Cobra, all it's missing is the hood graphic. I love the Dobi rear wing btw...that a very rare spoiler these days. I also really like the argent colored lower TuTone.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Nice car. Good work.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Great looking Cobra, all it's missing is the hood graphic. I love the Dobi rear wing btw...that a very rare spoiler these days. I also really like the argent colored lower TuTone.
    Car is hopefully going into the paint booth by april 2015, at that time the hood graphic is going back on. have one ready to be installed.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I like your Cobra. If you plan on doing any major engine work, let me buy some of the parts like the alternator, hoses etc.

From the brushed aluminum steering wheel and non ribbed door panel pads, looks to be an earlier built before 1979.

What is the date code on the door tag

Thanks!

David
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 08-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    I like your Cobra. If you plan on doing any major engine work, let me buy some of the parts like the alternator, hoses etc.

Thanks!

David
    let me know what all parts you are interested in and they are all yours... i plan to have the motor out tmrrw and will start disassembling what i am not going to use when the motor is put back in.

Blog Entries

Folks, a gentle reminder here: please take and keep any talk of buying/selling parts to PM or the Classifieds. Thanks.

FEP Senior Member

I like those old school turbine wheels you had on there, what size are they?

Quote Originally Posted by 79cobrasnake View Post
    Car is hopefully going into the paint booth by april 2015, at that time the hood graphic is going back on. have one ready to be installed.
    That's awesome. Are you gonna keep the lower TuTone that argent color, or will it be going back to the stock TuTone color?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by teddy1500 View Post
    I like those old school turbine wheels you had on there, what size are they?
    They were 14x7. Tires they were mounted on were way too tall. I loved the wheels though.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    That's awesome. Are you gonna keep the lower TuTone that argent color, or will it be going back to the stock TuTone color?
    Going back w the original tutone black... Want to stay as original appearance

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks... Hope to make some progress this weekend and add some new photos Monday

Marti report finally came in after 6 months of waiting, looks like its 1 of 28 made in 79.Name:  marti.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  95.6 KBName:  marti 1.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  43.6 KBName:  marti 2.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  62.7 KBName:  marti 3.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  54.2 KBName:  marti 4.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  99.4 KB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast