Close

Default 87/88 Turbo Coupe Intercooler to 84-86 SVO

I am trying to get my 84 SVO back up and running and I have a question in regards to the OEM style intercooler. Neither my 84 or 86 have the OEM intercooler any more. Both PO's decided to remove them from the engine and I don't appear to have any of the brackets or mounting hardware. Ultimately I want to upgrade to a FMIC, but with the current budget and other "Family Needs" I can't afford to spend that money at this time. I was considering picking up an 87/88 Turbo Coupe intercooler as my understanding is that it's a bit of an upgrade over the OEM SVO unit.

My question is how many brackets mount the T/C intercooler to the engine. From my research and memory there are 3 brackets that mount the SVO intercooler to the engine, but when I check out T/C intercoolers, I generally only see one bracket. So just trying to verify what I need so I can try to get it all in one shot rather than piecing it together over time.

Thanks!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

I don't really think it is an upgrade, since it doesn't fit the hood opening correctly. The turbo coupe bracket will not work in any way on the svo engine because of the hood. People using them don't use any bracket just very stiff hoses. No one has ever proven on the dyno that it is any better. It just looks bigger because of the big flange on top. I would just use the svo intercooler but I am sure others will chime in with other opinions.
    Kendal

Kendal,

Thanks for the information. I have heard similar information, but as with much of the internet, the lore was that it was an upgrade. I am not really set either way, since as I stated, I ultimately want to install a FMIC later on down the road. I just want to install an intercooler again as I believe it's beneficial to the overall performance of the engine unlike the POs of both of my SVOs!

Am I correct in that there are 3 brackets required to mount the SVO intercooler properly? I am not a fan of the stiff hose method and would prefer to install one correctly.

Thanks!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Power Member

Yes on the three brackets. One has three mounting holes to the manifold, then the other two mount to the intercooler, they have a boss that mounts to the bottom mount.
    Last edited by KCoker; 07-30-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Kendal

I also have a 84 svo and i got a t/c intercooler thinking it was a upgrade.when i installed it it sits all lop sided. It also hits th hood.total headache.i just put the stock one back on and it fits so much better than the t/c one.do yourself a favor and get the stock setup untill your ready for the front mount. If you need a stock intercooler, i got 2 with brackets. Let me know. Chad

Thanks for the information. I had also read that the fit wasn't right, but most seemed to be so "Happy" with the upgrade that they didn't mind. Glad to get a real honest assessment of how poor the fit really is! Luckily I haven't purchased a T/C unit, so it appears I can cross that option off the list!

Thanks!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Just to complicate things even more there is a Bell Helicopter core that fits into the stock SVO housing with some minor fitting. It is the same dimensionally but the passages are much larger than the stock unit.

The argument is it flows better allowing for quicker boost with only a slight increase in volume pre-throttle body. The flip side is because the air flow is increased there isn't as much heat transfer from the stock unit.

I have one of the Bell units and plan on putting one together using one of my spare stock housings. Then to take it to the dyno and do a real world swap to see if there is any benefit between the two. Ultimately the stock unit is prone to heat soak just from being directly above the turbo. The same is true for the Turbo Coupe unit. There are heat shields and turbo blankets of course but in the end a front mount is clearly superior. Provided the tubing isn't over done and kept short.

The argument on that is increased volume in the longer piping makes for more turbo lag as the turbo has to fill all that empty space before it gets to the throttle body. Then you could always go to a larger turbo that makes more boost...

...and then it has become the money eating monster.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

That's exactly what I don't want to get into!

I would like to get a bit more power out of the SVO, but I am not looking for BIG POWER! I have other Foxes for that. I really want a good, fun driver that gets decent fuel mileage and is reliable. So I am keeping the modifications to a minimum and just trying to improve upon what is there rather than do a full tilt build up / modification build.

I am aware of the heat soak issues and ultimately that is why I want to go with the front mount, besides I feel it cleans up the engine bay a bit too. That is the long term goal, but right now I would like to get the SVO back on the road so I can enjoy it a bit rather than have it sitting waiting on a FMIC. Besides I am not a fan of running it without the intercooler, so . . .here I am.

I do remember Jim Whelan with Motion Dynamics talking about a Helicopter intercooler upgrade many years ago when we both had our shops in TX, but at the time I didn't own an SVO, so I didn't pay a lot of attention at the time. I am sure the Bell Helicopter setup was what he was referring to at the time. Thanks for the additional information.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yes it is the same set-up as Jim was promoting. I bought it directly from the guy at Bell. I think he even threw in some aviator sunglasses with a sunvisor clip on holder thing. Back in the day I was an OEM supplier to Bell and all their various divisions.

One of the better / easier upgrades is a 3" down pipe and doing away with the stock airbox.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Sounds like you had the perfect IN!

The 3" down pipe and improved Air Filter setup are already on the modification list.

Thanks!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Am I correct in that there are 3 brackets required to mount the SVO intercooler properly? I am not a fan of the stiff hose method and would prefer to install one correctly.
    My plan was to remove my bracket as suggested when I asked: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...acket-Rattling

Upon looking at the thread again I may try to pinch the bracket as Zap suggested and if that fails, off it comes (its irritating when the engine is at a certain rpm or Ioad and it rattles). I bought some of the heavier hoses to hold it without the bracket. I will keep the original hoses and clamps off if that's the way I end up liking it.

I have a TC on my 86 with NO brackets. The heavy duty hoses keep it nice and tight - works great. I was able to turn the boost up 2lbs as well...

I have a 84 svo with the bell intercoolercenter and yes it gets way more air blasting threw it. It took a week and 2 tubes of RTV to get it to seal.but when i went for a test dtive...........oh my! Def more pull! Def recommend the upgrade.but good luck getn it to seal.it wasnt easy.the factory gasket dont fit exactly so you have to make one out of RTV.but it works and it works well! Zoom! Zoom! Lol. Chad