Close

Default New to me 81 notch

Trying to fix the "modifications" a previous owner has done to this poor mustang. What I need are some pics of an 81 non ac Mustang dash so I can figure out just what he's done and what it's supposed to look like. I've only had 85 and 86 ac cars so I'm in some unfamiliar territory here. Thank you

If you're talking about the dash hull itself, pretty sure it's the same dash hull whether the car had a/c or not. The differences would have been in the dash bezels (heater only cars would not have had the second inboard vent register on the driver and passenger side bezels) and the actual heater control assembly.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

So basicly the only difference is the center vent is covered, correct? If so that is exactly what I needed to know. Now all I have to do is search for the correct bezel. Thank you.

That is correct. By 1985 I think, there weren't even separate bezels for those cars, they just had vents that went nowhere.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

All the way up to the 86 models in my experience there were A/C and Non A/C bezels from the factory. My 86 coupe is dealer add on A/C and has the square vent cut into the passenger side bezel where the OEM A/C vent would be rectangular.

As for an 81 without A/C, the dash bezels can be the same, but there will only be the single vent on the passenger bezel above the glove box. The driver side bezel will not have the vent next to the Heater controls and obviously the heater controls will not have any A/C settings on them. The Heater only boxes under the dash are completely different than the OEM A/C boxes too.

You should also have vents on the either side of the dash below the dash with the handle for opening and closing them to allow outside air into the car.

Post up some pictures when you have a chance!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller