Close

Default 351w swap and keeping the column shifter intact

Well I must be really stubborn or hardheaded (maybe both) but I've decided to tackle the project of keeping the column shifter intact if for no reason than to be different and I can't seem to find anyone thats done it before. I am not using a reverse manual valve body in my tci streetfighter c4 so I'd rather keep the clean look anyway. I have a feeling though with the 1 3\4 longtubes, solid drop mounts and all the linkage will not get along together at first but I will keep this thread updated since I cannot find another one like it in the net. God help me.......

trial and error. sure something can be fabbed up for it
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Here's hoping you're right

I believe you will have to go cable, as in lokar cable kit. I think that's the name of it. I really don't think it will be a huge problem. Those rods will almost definitely have to go though.

How would the cables work corecttly with the column shifter though,? I don't see how that would work , I already have a lokar c4 kickdown cable
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    I believe you will have to go cable, as in lokar cable kit. I think that's the name of it. I really don't think it will be a huge problem. Those rods will almost definitely have to go though.

To be honest with you, I don't know the specifics of it. I just remember reading on these forums where someone had to eliminate the linkage and bell crank on the k-member and replaced it with a lokar cable set up. It was back in the day when I was just gonna swap the engine because I thought I had 2 good engines and I was gonna fix the mustang. Turns out I only had 1 good engine. So everything went into 1 car. The Daddywagon.

OK after some teat fitting and deciding that I will now manually upshift the car I have abanded the idea of a column shifter.

Why?

Becauz racecar......

I did a 351 /aod/column shift/shorties into H pipe to keep my bench seat.what a pain in the parts .make sure you have the hard motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by fairmont city View Post
    I did a 351 /aod/column shift/shorties into H pipe to keep my bench seat.what a pain in the parts .make sure you have the hard motor mounts
    Im using the maximum motorsports kmember spacers, a tubular Kmember, and the solid drop motor mounts that late model restoration sells.

I'll have to look at my 86 5.0 t bird to see how the column linkage works on it. I don't remember a cross shaft
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

I just don't think the 1 3/4 headers will fit with all that crap in there.

Went out and checked the t bird and sure enough its got a cross shaft too.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

I wouldn't discount the cable suggestion. There are cables that can push as well as they pull,
    witness the cable used on the automatic floor-shift Foxen, and many FWD stick shift cars.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The stock floor shift for later cars are cable operated. you may be able to fab a bracket at the column and use a factory cable from an aod floor shift car.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke