Close

Default 79 mustang 4 speed shifter plate ?

I was at the wreckers a couple years ago and pulled a 4 speed off a 79 mustang with a 302 as possible spare for my car....price was right so what the heck.

It has sat in my shed for a couple years and I was sure the shifter fit correctly when I originally removed it from the car. I recently went to put the shifter back on and found that the fork seemed too long. It appears like it should exactly fit into the tailpiece but I had to space the mounting bracket on the shifter approx. 3/4" to get it to shift correctly but, of course there is now an air gap between shifter mounting plate and tailpiece etc.

Question: Am I missing a spacer plate (fell off when removing at wreckers and didn't notice) or perhaps it was the wrong shifter to begin with.

Transmission tag indicates PUGCS LJ23 (first row) D9BRDA1114 (second row)

Anyone have any comments/ideas or maybe help identify this transmission ?

Assuming a 79 SROD trans
    Ford 79 shop manual, section 16-27-2 shows pic of shifter assy.
    Figure 3 shows a spacer under the 3 screw shift tower.
    Could be 3/4" thick. Looks a lot thicker than the tower base plate.
    Fig 1 shows metal trans tag codes:
    PUG is prob RUG
    CS is suffix
    Service id code......
    LJ23 is build code month/year/day
    Second row on tag D9BR-DA is trans assy number and 1114 the s/n

Yes thanks for the info.

Did some research on the SROD and certainly looks just like the one I have. Not the most popular transmission from what I read and was able to confirm that I am indeed missing the spacer plate from the photos.

Not a lot of options for these things so will have to keep my eyes open "at_the_junkyard" or maybe fabricate something that will fill in.

IIRC, Trucks used the SROD, or one like it, as well, so you might check some of the F150s.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

That spacer reminds me of another part:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=3+bo...w=1152&bih=703
    If you do not find one, maybe something like this can be made to work.
    Or make one out of plastic?
    The big hole would be the hard part to do.

Yeah, thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about fabricating something since no luck at the junkyards yet...

I think the plastic piece on the shifter actually fits in the recessed notch inside the spacer so might be tricky. If worse comes to worse I was thinking of getting two pieces of aluminum plates and boring the different size large holes, then sandwich them together and drill the shifter bolt pattern keeping everything aligned. This would create the recess for the plastic piece. Problem is the large holes would need to be quite accurate. It sounds easy...if you can access to some decent tools and materials

Ha...found one on a 1980 capri with 4 speed...at the junkyard of course !!